What is tea ? In UK terms

Bethcruiser

I am a Georgia girl, and have been to UK before, but it never came up.

Now I am about to go on a 1 week cruise on the QM2 (" The greatest oceanliner of our time").

I need someone from the UK to explain to me: What is "tea", as in the winter garden, a drink, a meal, a tea party, or a snack ? What do they serve? Do you dress for the occasion ? Can you get iced tea like they do for afternoon tea in Savannah ?

Do they have Splenda on the QM2 ?

Thanks

Beth (Elizabeth) Hartley

I'm not British but I have been on QE2 twice and tea was my favorite meal/snack.

Tea on Cunard ships is tea, of course, served with finger sandwiches and pastries. White-gloved aiters come around with pots of tea and large platters of sandwiches and then pastries and serve you.

My favorites are the scones with jam and clotted cream! Absolutely melt in your mouth delicious and nothing at all like those dried up things we get from Starbucks or bakeries.

One of the most difficult things about being on board a ship is trying to eat all of the things they set in front of you. Tea was served at 4:00 pm, but I think they may have moved it up a half hour. It certainly spoils your appetite for dinner if you eat at the early setting, but none the less, should not be missed.

Get there early and get a good seat with a view. Enjoy this very civilized British tradition!!

Oops! I forgot to answer all of your question. I don't believe you can get iced tea, but I supposed you can try. The tradition is hot tea in pots.

It can be a meal, a party, or a snack. And you just wear whatever you were wearing that afternoon.

Don't know about Splenda.

Scones are a Scottish kind of sweetened biscuit and clotted cream is a really a sort of whipping cream--in fact so thick it doesn't really need to be whipped and keeps it shape quite well. The combination of scone and jam and clotted cream is delicious.

You will find plain scones for sale in coffee shops and some bakeries in the U.S. but they are usually dry and tasteless--not at all the same as a QE2 scone. Wish I could have one now!

Here are a couple of web sites discussing scones and clotted cream:

http://www.broadwayhouse.com/creamtea.html

http://www.joyofbaking.com/DevonshireCream.html

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001394.asp

There are some photos on these pages that will give you a rough approximation of the QE2/QM2 ones.

Carol,

Hey I'm with you. To each their own. The splenda thing was a facetious retort to a previous post by Beth.

Bethcruiser user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_2547969", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifall there is on that ship and you are worried about f & c ??

Of all the things to do and see on that ship, you are worred about the fish and chips !!!!

Say it isn't so. You can't be that dull.

Beth

Take care

David

Afternoon tea with Cunard is pretty near to the traditional one still served at posh hotels and tea rooms in UK. There are many variations (clotted cream is more of a "Devonshire or Cornish cream tea" thing than traditional afternoon tea) but I seem to remember that there are the very genuine cucumber sandwiches, with crusts removed, on offer along with the scones, jam and cakes. I think that the tea is made using tea bags, but we should not hold that against them as this is still to some extent mass catering. Tea was always made - by the maid of course - using a pre warmed tea pot and loose tea. One spoonfull per person and one for the pot. This was left to brew for a few minutes and was poured into the cups which had had the milk added first.

All this has died out now in England except on very special occasions, although many of us still drink tea regularly through the day, much as Americans drink coffee.

Afternoon tea aboard is a must. Cut out the appetizer at dinner if needed.

David.

Carol,

Absolutely no offence taken. I am always up for a little friendly banter. Anyways, even if I was (which I was not) how could I be upset, as on Wednesday I leave for FL in preparation for my first cruise on the QM2. Does life get any better than this???

Take care,

David

Do they have Splenda on the QM2 ?

Thanks

Beth (Elizabeth) Hartley

Yes, if I recall correctly they have all three popular artificial sweeteners on board - pink Sweet & Low, blue Equal and yellow Splenda.

I prefer Sweet & Low and brought my own in case they didn't carry it. I was pleasantly surprised to find they did, along with the other two.

KK

Scones are a Scottish kind of sweetened biscuit and clotted cream is a really a sort of whipping cream--in fact so thick it doesn't really need to be whipped and keeps it shape quite well. The combination of scone and jam and clotted cream is delicious.

You will find plain scones for sale in coffee shops and some bakeries in the U.S. but they are usually dry and tasteless--not at all the same as a QE2 scone. Wish I could have one now!

Here are a couple of web sites discussing scones and clotted cream:

http://www.broadwayhouse.com/creamtea.html

http://www.joyofbaking.com/DevonshireCream.html

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001394.asp

There are some photos on these pages that will give you a rough approximation of the QE2/QM2 ones.

Thanks! They look delicious. Can't wait to try one.

Afternoon tea is an instituion very rarely carried out in this country now, except as mentioned in the grand hotels and departement store and onboard british ships. Afternoon tea consists of earl grey tea, cucumber, smoked salmon or egg sandwiches followed by delicate pastries, not always scones and cream, as stated already this is a devon/cornwall thing. As far as I am aware iced tea would be available if you asked, but if your having afternoon tea, one should really have it with proper tea. And proper english tea is the greatest drink in the world. Oh, afternoon tea is now served in the Queens room. Enjoy!

And don't forget they have the piano player or harpist! Beth, I am also a Georgia girl from Duluth - are you from Savannah? You mentioned that city in your post - my best friend lives there and I visit often. You will love afternoon tea. I did TA on QE2 June 2003 and got hooked. I think it is a wonderful thing and wished we all stopped in America for it every day! I am just back from QM2 and since I was off the ship doing the ports, I only got to do it 2 days - but it was just as lovely as QE2 - it is in the Queen's Room and everything you have been told on this post is correct. You sit in nice chairs around small round (low) tables - small linen napkins, small cups and saucers with small spoons - milk for your tea, all the sweetners - the waiters look so handsome in their white coats and gloves and black pants and they constantly come around offering you these trays full of all kinds of temptations - I had a wonderful chocalate shell cream tart this last time - and I could only find it that 1 day - so the trays change daily.

Let me know if you are not hooked - this was my husband's first time on a Cunard ship and all I could tell him about was tea and how much he would love it - he did!

While I agree with all the things said about afternoon tea on Cunard ships, since you have all been on board perhaps someone can answer my questions.

What selection of tea is offered , at teatime and at dinner? I love Earl Grey, and Lapsan Suchong, does any one know if they have the latter on board?

Will be on QE2 May 2, and again Jan 2006 so many days to get through before then.

Thank you one and all for all the replys.

I am a diabetic, and have to count carbs, so Iwill have to save up, and do a 30 minute treadmill run so I can afford a pastry at the tea cart every day.

Its a bummer to have to count carbs and sugar, but on the up side, since I switched to a mostly vegitarian, low carb diet I have not been sick once in 3 years, not even the flu or a cold (because of all the vitamins I think, they super charge your immune system. I also have never had it easier controlling my weight.

I am glad to hear they have canyon spa cuisine, and sugar free desserts. That will be a big help as well.

Have a good trip David. I sort of hope my trip is a little dull, as I am a decendent (not directly) of Wallace Hartley, the Titanic bandleader, on the

13 th crossing through the Bermuda triangle on Cunard white star ship!

I hope the captain doesn't find out.

I am the first one in 4 generations of my family to dare to sail on an oceanliner. My brother had a 15 year career in the Navy, on aircraft carriers without incident.

Thanks again all

Beth

T

I agree that it is difficult to find afternoon tea in the UK. Even some reasonably good hotels do not do afternoon tea.

I regularly have guests at home for afternoon tea. A good friend is coming over this Saturday. I usually serve smoked salmon sandwiches, strawberries, champagne, scones, clotted cream, jam, cream cakes and tea. Some people today even want coffee. Can you believe it?

I try to have tea everyday on a Cunard ship. It is my favourite time of the day. I was disappointed on a P&O cruise as afternoon tea was self-service in the cafeteria.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I'm really looking forward to afternoon tea (I had a British Mother). If you're visiting Walt Disney World, try the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian. They don't wear white gloves but they do use Royal Albert china and it is a delightful break.

I was pleased that no-one has referred to "tea" as "high tea." Many hotels here in Canada are reviving this fine tradition but some are, pretentiously, calling it high tea. I should let someone from the UK explain the difference in greater detail, but essentially "high tea" is an early supper which consists of hot food. (Coronation Street fans will know what I mean.) I first discovered this difference after disembarking the QE2 in Southampton on our first trip to the "mother country": on the train to Manchester we had a choice of "tea" or "high tea" in the restaurant car. As we had not had lunch, we opted for the high tea.

Many of the railway hotels in Canada (formerly called Canadian National or Canadian Pacific, but now regrettably called Fairmont) serve a splendid cream tea worthy of a fine British liner. The tea is loose (several choices) and in some hotels there is even a "Tea Sommelier."

We have enjoyed tea on our four crossings of the QE2 and on two lovely P&O ships (on previous Oriana and Canberra tea was served in the restaurants) and of particular fond memory, the Union-Castle Line. Does anyone remember these fabulous ships on the Cape mail run?

I would say that "high tea" is, or more accuratly was, a north of England meal. Mill and factory workers etc would not wish to wait for 7.30 or so to have dinner like the toffs did but would eat as soon as they got home from work. We recently were on a Saga cruise (never again) and they served hot food for afternoon tea to what was almost 100% British pax.

Glad to hear that this most refined of customs is alive in Canada.

David.

Archived