What is tea ? In UK terms

Bethcruiser

David/Mufi touch very vell on the question of 'What is afternoon tea to the British?'.

Tea is essential to the British daily routine.

7am. Cup of tea in bed. If you can't get your partner to make it, then buy a teasmaid (a machine that brews the tea for you - rather like a coffee machine - linked to an alarm clock)

7.30 Tea with breakfast.

All day long - Tea breaks. Depending on where you come from in the UK, it's got various names such as 'Brew time', 'Cuppa', 'Rosey'. So you might say 'Fancy a cuppa?' or 'Shall I brew up?'

Afternoon: Things get really complicated. You can stop for a cuppa or a brew, or you might be invited to tea. That's formal. And you might find you're presented with cucumber sandwiches (with the crusts removed most certainly - and the cucumber sliced REALLY thinly) and scones etc.

High Tea (in my experience) was generally for younger people who may for some reason have not had a proper lunch and an evening meal is not possible. Therefore High Tea would be served and would consist of tea (of course), sandwiches, cakes, but in addition some warm dishes (quiche, pie)and maybe a salad.

But it's not over yet.

Many people around the UK still refer to Tea as a meal. Many families have Tea when they get home from work - and consider this the main/last meal of the day. ie 'When I got in from work, the kids were home and we had tea before going to the Cinema'. You'd understand that to mean the equivalent of 'High Tea'/Dinner.

The same people who have Tea as Dinner, have dinner at midday. This is a left over from the days following the second WW when kids were given their main meal of the day at school - at lunch time - and as it was the main meal - it was called dinner.

So now that these people can't have dinner in the evening, because they had it at lunchtime, have to have supper in the late evening, which is a pity becuase middle class British people have supper in the early evening, usually after they've invited 'Jeremy and Priscilla over for a 'Spot of supper'.' Supper for the former is a cheese sandwich, and something rather more flashy for the latter.

Throughtout the evening, your partner may ask you 'Fancy a brew?'. Or, if you have a nasty experience. 'Here, have a cuppa. You'll feel better'.

The UK National Grid operators study the daily television schedules to see when the popular programmes are on and when the commercial breaks are. This is becuase at every commercial break/programme ending - half the population uses an electric kettle to boil water for a cuppa.

Tea time is............ any time!!!!

On my last contract, I worked with an Iranian and a young man from Trinadad. My Mother's family was from Jamaica. We would get together around 3 pm and have tea together. No matter what was going on. Even our Boss knew not to ask for anything around that time. Nothing fancy but it was a break in the day to be civilized. That's one thing I do miss about that job.

The tradition in England has been to have lunch followed by afternoon tea, high tea, dinner then supper.

Lunch might be cold meats, salad or vegetables and fruit. Drink: water, a juice or tea.

Afternoon tea would be small sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, finger cakes. Drink: tea.

High tea might include poached egg on toast, bread and butter, cake. Drink: tea.

Dinner might be soup or other appetiser followed by meat or fish with vegetables, then a sweet such as trifle followed by cheese and biscuits. Drink: Wine, water, juice, liquers, coffee.

Supper might be sandwiches or filled rolls, tea or coffee.

....and don't forget to start the day with a good old english breakfast of cereals, egg, bacon, sausage, tomato, toast with marmalade, tea or coffee.

Luckily for most this practice is dying out or we would all be obese !! However, as others have said, it can still be found in up market traditional hotels and on British Cruise liners. The Ritz and Savoy in London do a very good afternoon tea. Details on their web sites. Tea ought to be served as leaves and not tea bags as the bags have always been thought to contain the sweepings off the floor !

Have a good cruise and enjoy the afternoon tea.

Thank you for the information. I understand (Iceman666) that they have 3 breakfast buffets....One for the USA - (Omlets, waffles, cereal),

one for the UK - (the things you mentioned, plus a dish called "blood pudding"

it can't be what it sounds like)

one Europeons....dry bread, strong coffee and cheese

Beth

They are called "black puddings" and they indeed are made out of pigs blood and barley grains inside a sausage like skin. With black pudding, English bacon, fried eggs, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, pork sausage and fried bread, you should not need further sustanance until lunch. Again this practice is dying out slowly, but what a breakfast it is if you have the time and digestion to do it real justice.

David.

Actually, "tea" has all sorts of meaning, and regional variations within the UK further complicate it. The "afternoon tea" as served on ships contains variously, sandwiches, light pastry, even canapes in some cases, along with pots of tea. A "cream tea" (or, locally, "Devon cream tea") may or may not have the above, but will have scones or what Americans would call "biscuits," maybe closer to a soft shortbread consistency (although shortbread itself is often much firmer than US "shortbread" - more confusion) along with clotted cream (close enough to creme fraiche for practical purposes) along with jams, fruit, and other sweet items.

"High" tea is a North of England and Scottish term for a hot, generally light-ish supper, and generally (in my experience) more a working-class term than one used by the middle or upper classes. It's usually taken early in the evening. Supper is the alternative term, typically referring to a more substantial meal, usually the equivalent of "dinner" in the US. ("Dinner" in parts of the UK refers mainly to lunch - yet more confusion.) Saying that so-and-so hotel offers "high tea" is IMO a sure sign that pretense is in the air. Unless they bring you a plate of beans on toast for ten quid. Cool.

Many, many people simply substitute "tea" for supper/dinner, as in "He can't come to the phone, he's having his tea."

In Scotland, an old joke along the lines of the (really, really wrong) image of the penny-pinching Scotsman, is greeting someone at the door by saying, "Oh, you'll have had your tea." In other words, don't ask and don't expect to be fed.

Better still, go to Fortnum and Masons in Picadilly. Their afternoon tea is excellent.

Pete

I adore cream tea and friends suggested going to Fortnum & Mason for it....of course, I failed to take their advice last trip in December (for QE2), but will go there first thing next trip !!!

Do I want to go to the "Fountain Restaurant" for cream tea ??? I see in the menu displayed at F & M's website that it lists "scones with clotted cream (after 3PM)" for this restuarant.....

Tom (Cream Tea fanatic!)

Well, we have just returned from a couple of days in London. We had Tea at the Ritz with our two daughters and it was amazing. We also saw the area in Fortnums where they do afternoon tea and daughter No1 had recently been to the Savoy for Tea.

We arrived at The Ritz for our 3.30pm Tea and it was sumptuous. The staff were first class, cloakroom for coats, hall porter took overnight bag, staffed washrooms were so clean, etc.

Tea was in the Palm Court which is a throw back to Victorian times with magnificant decor, flowers and palms all around. All gentlemen were in suits or blazers and ties. Ladies in smart clothes. There were groups from 2 to 8 people on individual tables. Paino player not intrusive who played "Happy Birthday" for two people !

Tea, many different varieties, served in silver tea pots, each person had a tea strainer, lovely china. My Earl Grey was lovely. Tea pots were regularly refilled.

Sandwiches were in brown or white bread. Smoked salmon, ham, cucumber, etc. All ultra fresh and replaced as you wanted. Scones, clotted cream and wonderful strawberry jam. All home made and light as a feather.

Cakes and pastries were, similarly home made and seriously yummy !

We sat down at 3.30 and left at about 5.15pm. No rush by the hotel to get guests out despite having another sitting at 5pm. Took photographs without any trouble. Staff were friendly, efficient and helpful without being too pushy. They were always there when needed.

Daughter No1 compared it to the Savoy. She said that at Savoy the atmosphere was not as good as just served up in a lounge area. Dress of guests at Savoy was more casual which made it less "special". Tea was poured by waiters at Savoy and sandwiches, pastries, etc were about the same quality.

Fortum and Mason area for Tea was close to the shopping area so shoppers could see Tea guests. Dress looked more casual.

Overall, we thought our "Tea at the Ritz" was a marvellous experience, well worth the money and to dress up for. We would do it again.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='mufi']Cheapjack.
David.[/QUOTE]

:p

In England, that would be a cheapskate...

Anyway, i cant say too much beacause when i'm in the US for a cruise, we are the first to try out all the local treats, no matter what the cost.

I suppose if you are in a foreign country, you tend to spend that bit more.

In London, I know several restaurants which blind anything that the Ritz / Savoy Grill have to offer, at a fraction of the price. I cannot deny, however, that "afternoon tea at the ritz" has a certain ring to it. :D

btw, on the subject of the Full English Breakfast, you really must try the black pudding - absolutely wonderful. I live in Yorkshire, the home of the Black pudding. They also eat it cold, sliced with a meat or cheese salad.

Did you know about the BEAST sandwich as well. Instead of a breakfast, you can have Bacon Egg And Sausage & Tomato all on a large ( 6" across ) breadcake topped off with mushrooms, beans, & HP sauce. This is an upgrade of the traditional Bacon Butty

Not the healthiest of meals, but very nice.

I am from England and in answer to your question. Scones are are not really a pastry. They are a cross between a sweet bread and a cake. They are usually round about 2" high and consist of flour, butter, Egg milk and dried fruit. They are usually served with butter or cream and strawberry jam. Clotted cream is a very thick double cream. Nearly as thick as say softened butter. I think clotted cream is over rated but that is my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='mufi']They are called "black puddings" and they indeed are made out of pigs blood and barley grains inside a sausage like skin. With black pudding, English bacon, fried eggs, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, pork sausage and fried bread, you should not need further sustanance until lunch. Again this practice is dying out slowly, but what a breakfast it is if you have the time and digestion to do it real justice.
David.[/QUOTE]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]In the north of England many people, me included, consider the best way to eat black pudding is not to fry it sliced but to boil it whole, this is then eaten with English mustard.[/font][/size]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]In my youth you could find stalls selling them as you would hot dogs at football grounds. Excellent for warming you and filling you up on a cold winter’s afternoon.[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Occasionally when in the Lancashire area I will buy a couple from a traditional butcher to boil at home.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]In Scandinavia and Germany you can get a similar dish called Blod Pudding.[/font][/size]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Kevin[/size][/font]

• 1 year later...
I'm not so sure that Cunard's tea is really as good as we'd like to believe.

Firstly, who in his right mind serves scones without a separate pot of cream and second of jam? Those ready assembled things are not really a proper treat.....

And they're cold! Scones should be eaten warm, and not reheated - warm from being freshly cooked.

Their teas are okay. Nothing special. Tea bags - and we've had occasions (after dinner) where the teabag remains in the cup.

A bit more money spent on really good tea, and things would improve out of recognition. Afternoon tea can never be better than the tea itself. One would have thought that in the Queens' Grill Lounge that the tea wouldn't be the subject of economy!

Having said that, it does taste better on the balcony!

Archived