Help! We leave in a week and new drivers license hasn't come in the mail

My fiance's driver's license cracked in half in his wallet 3 weeks ago. He went to the Secretary of State office and applied for an Enhanced License (but he does have his certified birth certificate, so no worries there). The SOS website at the time said 10 days-2 weeks to get the new card in the mail.

His new license still isn't here and we leave on the Dawn for Bermuda a week from today!!!!!!!!!!!! He has his old (broken) license, as well as the paperwork from the SOS office stating that he has applied for his replacement. We of course have his certified birth certificate, as well as his college ID, Social Security Card, and his library card still in the envelope from when he went to apply for his new ID.

Is his current broken license and birth certificate going to be good enough, or do we need to call the passport agency in Detroit and make an appointment for tomorrow?

Oh no, I feel bad for you, I would be horribly upset and all the worse scenarios would definitely be running through my mind! I think I am reading your post correct by believing you don't have passports and that is why you need to make an appt?

I don't know if you can get a passport that fast! :eek: Do you have a personal cruise consultant to ask if the broken license can be used? I wouldn't call the Miami offices, they don't always have the correct info (although if you don't have a good PCC, the same holds true). :(

I hope someone else on the boards knows the right answer for you. I wish you all the best and I hope both of you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info - I would definitely get the passport card then, but that's just my opinion! Good luck with whatever you decide - I am sure it will all work out and you will be enjoying your cruise in no time! In fact, I am a little jealous that your are leaving so soon, lol!:p:p I still have several more months to wait!:(

in our state as long as you have the old license AND the paperwork for the new one you are okay...but not sure if that would work in this situation.

Good luck!

Beverly

This is NOT a state issue. It is a Federal Gov't, immigration, and ship issue.

I have a passport, FI doesn't. The Detroit passport agency issues passport cards on-site if you're traveling within 2 weeks.

Just in case, and to save yourself a lot of worry, I would make the appt to get FI a passport card.

I think I'd still go do the passport thing anyway. It's good for ten years I believe and alleviates any possible headaches while traveling.

With only having 6 days until our cruise, we'd prefer to not pay the expedited fee or drive 3 hours each way to take care of this issue if it is a non-issue. According to TSA, US Customs, and NCL, we are good to go in all aspects. He plans on applying for his passport after the cruise, but personal issues (3 deaths in the family in the last 6 months) have prevented him from taking care of it already.

Archived