I'm confused about semi-formal RCL

Ace4th

We are newby cruisers and will leave soon on a RCL cruise on the Rhapsody with another couple. All of us are in our mid 50's.

What's with the semi-formal that is mentioned on the RCL site? I found some information from May of 2004 that gives the daily schedule and dress for the dining room and find no mention at all of a "semi-formal" evening or dress code. The RCL site says there are 2 "semi-formal" evenings. In my world, Formal is Tux & long gown ..... semi-formal is suit and "cocktail" attire, in other words ..... the basic little black dress or silk or velvet pants and an evening top. The closet is FULL ...... I've been in the fashion business for over 25 years, it's just a matter of packing the right stuff. Speaking of velvet, I know it's still winter, but velvet can't be right for the tropics ???

Advise from the experienced please! :confused:

You won't have any problems, I can assure you. Formal is just that, semi formal is what you might wear to an evening wedding or cocktail party. There is every interpretation for the different evenings that you can imagine, so go with your instincts and you will be comfortable. We enjoy dressing nicely, it's not something we get to do much in our normal lives. After 7 cruises, I almost wish I could dress semi-formal every night and forego all the others as I seem to have a penchant for dressy pants suits and little black dresses.

I have no opinion of what other peoples fabric consists of, I'm more concerned with having a good time and meeting nice people regardless of what is covering their bodies. So, if you have velvet and want to wear it, go ahead.

Have fun planning!

Archived