Trinkets for Cruise members

Sorry to to OP, I am going to have to agree with the previous poster - the itty bitty cabins they have just doesn't allow the space for knick-knacks. I believe they share a cabin too so that makes it even worse...

I did hear about one suggestion that might work as an aside to cash - phone cards ! It costs a forture for the crew to call home and they are without contact with their family for weeks/months. I was thinking they might appreciate being able to call home. Takes up no space too ! Of course, if you give them cash, then they can purchase the cards themselves but if I were to give an "above and beyond" appreciation gift, I thought this might be cool. I assume they are available in most ports and when the crew swings by there the next week, they can call home.

Julie

Yes, and they DO love those cards! We gave a $20 calling card to our room steward and she was very appreciative and took good care of us. I gave it to her the first day we met.

Yes, and they DO love those cards! We gave a $20 calling card to our room steward and she was very appreciative and took good care of us. I gave it to her the first day we met.

:eek:Really?

She's in the hospitality business. It's her job to be nice. Would she be doing her job if she scrunched up her nose, gave you a dirty look, then immediatley threw it away? No, it was her job to give you the impression that she appreciated your jesture.Obviously, she's very good at her job.

She was going to provide you with the best service possible regardless of whatever little worthless gift you provided.

All you accomplished was you made yourself feel better.

:eek:Really?

She's in the hospitality business. It's her job to be nice. Would she be doing her job if she scrunched up her nose, gave you a dirty look, then immediatley threw it away? No, it was her job to give you the impression that she appreciated your jesture.Obviously, she's very good at her job.

She was going to provide you with the best service possible regardless of whatever little worthless gift you provided.

All you accomplished was you made yourself feel better.

Kind of harsh aren't you. You weren't there and you aren't the room steward who received the gift so how do you know how she felt about it? If someone wants to give a gift over and above their tips, why be so hard them? If the recepient doesn't like the gift they can get rid of it - simple as that. As long as its not replacing a tip then why care what others want to give? And if it makes someone feel good to give someone else a gift -then good for them. They may have picked the right person to give it to that would appreciate the gesture and made them feel good too.

Why does this have to be such a debate? They like cash, with cash they can : buy thier own phone cards if they wish them, buy chocolate if they wish for it, buy John Deere hats <snickers> but I bet they'd LOVE to have a cornhusker hat from Nebraska, I'm taking them for all the crew next trip.:eek: Give them cash for Gods sake, if you give them anything else your wasting your money and giving it for YOU, not for them.

JMO, Carole

I do not see any harm in giving them cash above and beyond the amount that is suggested on top of say a phone card...Not instead of...

My sisters friend works on Princess cruise lines and she loves when people give her phone cards to call home with, that way she doesn't have to spend her $$ on buying the phone cards.. :rolleyes: We had this very conversation the other day when I had brought up this thread..She goes months and months without seeing her family and is thrilled to receive phone cards on top of extra cash for doing a job well done..

to assume something is worthless to someone else is very naive.. If it is something they do not want or need they will get rid of it or see if someone else wants it. And to say that the giver of the item only gives it to make themself feel better or important is just a rude comment also. What is the difference if the giver gives extra cash, is that saying the giver wants to make themself feel better as well? Shheeesh people.. :cool: As long as it is not replacing the tip there is no harm done and those were from her mouth..

I do not see any harm in giving them cash above and beyond the amount that is suggested on top of say a phone card...Not instead of...

My sisters friend works on Princess cruise lines and she loves when people give her phone cards to call home with, that way she doesn't have to spend her $$ on buying the phone cards.. :rolleyes: We had this very conversation the other day when I had brought up this thread..She goes months and months without seeing her family and is thrilled to receive phone cards on top of extra cash for doing a job well done..

to assume something is worthless to someone else is very naive.. If it is something they do not want or need they will get rid of it or see if someone else wants it. And to say that the giver of the item only gives it to make themself feel better or important is just a rude comment also. What is the difference if the giver gives extra cash, is that saying the giver wants to make themself feel better as well? Shheeesh people.. :cool:

What if the phone card doesn't work to the recipients country? What if they have no phone? The John Deere penlights are cool though.

What if the phone card doesn't work to the recipients country? What if they have no phone? The John Deere penlights are cool though.

She said that she had that happen very few times. She does have a phone and those who are given phone cards that do not have phones sell the cards to members that can use the cards.. When it did not work for her country she gave it to another crew member that could use it.. Again, this is on top of a tip, not instead of.. :rolleyes: Again, no harm done..

She said that she had that happen very few times. She does have a phone and those who are given phone cards that do not have phones sell the cards to members that can use the cards.. When it did not work for her country she gave it to another crew member that could use it.. Again, this is on top of a tip, not instead of.. :rolleyes: Again, no harm done..

Why are you rolling your eyes? Where did I say it was instead of a tip? :confused:

I totally agree with giving cash - however, for those who want to ALSO give a gift, a trinket, a key chain etc so be it. Some of you say that the gift giving only makes the giver feel good - the recipient not so good. Do you give presents at Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries etc - I do it because is makes me feel good - the recipient may hate your choice but we still do it year after year. Who cares if they trade it, toss it out, make faces as they walk away - it is a personal choice for those who do it and who are we to say don`t.

Cash $$$$ and Left over Liquor and soda un sealed of course..I start with filling my Ice c hest and give them a $20 and work up from there.....

I think giving a trinkets from home is in poor taste Crew does not have room to store items they share a room with a cabin mate in a cabin about 10X15 they dont have room for junk as previous posters have said they throw things away not because they dont like it ...but because they dont have room for it.....they have less the 100sf living space your John Deere Cap or tractor or ???? is not going to make the cut.....they would rather have the $5 you would spend on trinket

We give extra cash - just made sense to us, BUT we wanted to personalize it so we did origami with the bills. Cute, easy (okay it took a while - less DOD's would have helped) and our waiters and cabin steward seemed to like it too. Our dinner ass't waiter made my son origami out of the kids menu every night - frogs, boat. butterfly cricket. On the last night we left him a sail boat and left the waiter a shirt.

These crew members live in extremely small quarters and to send-mail trinkets home would be extremely expensive. Your idea is very kind but not practical for these folks. Just give thoses crew who do a super job for you a few extra bucks in a nice card.

So, we can safely assume that those who like to give trinkets to service personnel do this sort of "tipping" with cabbies, waitresses (food and cocktail), bartenders, hairdressers, barbers, doormen, valet parking, etc, etc..

Probably the same ones who paste junk all over their cabin doors. They do that at the Hilton too? Lost in grade school for life.;)

We give extra cash - just made sense to us, BUT we wanted to personalize it so we did origami with the bills. Cute, easy (okay it took a while - less DOD's would have helped) and our waiters and cabin steward seemed to like it too. Our dinner ass't waiter made my son origami out of the kids menu every night - frogs, boat. butterfly cricket. On the last night we left him a sail boat and left the waiter a shirt.

Nothing like treating the waiter like a child.

Doesn't bother me when they fold towel animals as I don't use those towels anyway and they just sit theire until taken away....but to fold money and give it to a grown adult just seems so patronizing.

Archived