Mariner 5-2-10 -some observations

We are just back from the Mariner saiing on May 2. Here are some random thoughts. We found the food to be quite good for the most part. After falling short for the past couple of years, RCI is improving its food quality. We particularly enjoyed the beef dishes. And my favorite Golden Sea Bass is back and on the first night's menu. For the past several cruises it was listed as "broiled" Sea Bass...a plain, tastless piece of fish. I had some delicious curries several days for lunch at the Jade area of the Windjammer. The charge for internet has gone up from $.55 per minute to $.65. Makes that Diamond coupon for $10 internet pretty much of a joke. However, the 1 hour package is now $35 intead of the former $38. The Concierge Lounge was the emptiest I have ever seen in many cruises! Alan, the Concierge, told me that there were a couple of reasons it was so slow. There were only 18 D+ members and many of them were in suites (as we were), and many in suites had children with them and thus, didn't opt to come to the lounge. The entertainment was quite good, very talented performers. I particularly enjoyed the Pure Energy show as it was all based on 80's music. Feel free to ask any questions.

thanks for the review:)

very glad to hear their steppin up the food quality , it was one reason i sailed carnival this year. last year on mariner the food dissappointed me a bit;)

just a little over 475 days until i can enjoy it :D

dave

Welcome back, I was hoping someone would write up a review. I was supposed to be on this sailing but due to a death in the family, we couldn't make it. So how was the weather going down and coming back? How were the ports?

when you arrived in PV what time was it local time.

We stayed on ship time / CA time the entire voyage. PV was 2 hours ahead of us.

I "think" it may depend on the capt. as to what time he wants to use.

On our last trip in December on the Radiance, the capt. changed our clocks 3 times.

I was hoping someone would write up a review. So how was the weather going down and coming back?

It was a little cool Sunday when we left, but the 2 sailing days back to LA were cold and windy. We're glad we took along jackets at the last minute. There were a few brave souls around the pool, but they were all wrapped in towels. :(

Yes, the last day returning to LA was very windy and cool. I didn't think it was all that bad on the first day, but it was a bit cool. But the weather in ports was perfect. I think Cabo was about 76 and sunny, Maz about 78, sunny, and PV was in the eighties and sunny. PV was 2 hours ahead of ship time as the ship stayed on Pacific Daylight time and PV is in Central Daylight Time. The ship is so lovely and the staff were all outstanding! Everyone smiles and speaks, even the guys out scraping down the railings to re-varnish. We had My Time dining and kept the same 2 top and wait staff each night. Our wait staff, Richard and Evangelina, were super! We tipped all our serving staff a bit extra. This was the perfect cruise all around. And it didn't hurt that we were upgraded to a Grand Suite just 2 days before departure. Now we are spoiled! I've already contacted my TA to move us from our beloved D1 aft balcony cabin on Voyager next April to a Grand Suite. You can't take it with you! And I told Alan, our concierge, that we would see him out of Galveston in 2012!

Your comments sound encouraging, as we're coming from Carnival to RCCL, esp. the ones about food quality. We're on the 8/29 departure. Glad to hear the reasoning for the Concierge Lounge's loneliness. But hey - maybe we'll still get upgraded to a Jr Suite!

Not positive by your comments above, but you do realize that only GS and higher get to use the concierge lounge? While JS has suite in the name, you don't get the 'suite' benefits!

We are just back from the Mariner saiing on May 2. Here are some random thoughts. We found the food to be quite good for the most part. After falling short for the past couple of years, RCI is improving its food quality. We particularly enjoyed the beef dishes. And my favorite Golden Sea Bass is back and on the first night's menu. For the past several cruises it was listed as "broiled" Sea Bass...a plain, tastless piece of fish. I had some delicious curries several days for lunch at the Jade area of the Windjammer. The charge for internet has gone up from $.55 per minute to $.65. Makes that Diamond coupon for $10 internet pretty much of a joke. However, the 1 hour package is now $35 intead of the former $38. The Concierge Lounge was the emptiest I have ever seen in many cruises! Alan, the Concierge, told me that there were a couple of reasons it was so slow. There were only 18 D+ members and many of them were in suites (as we were), and many in suites had children with them and thus, didn't opt to come to the lounge. The entertainment was quite good, very talented performers. I particularly enjoyed the Pure Energy show as it was all based on 80's music. Feel free to ask any questions.

Good Morning and thank you for writing a quick review. I'm glad to know that Alan is still hanging in there. We really enjoyed Alan as a concierge.

Kay - a little off subject, but hope you guys are doing OK. The devastation up in Okla. is just awful. Hope to hear from you soon.

Did the Diamond Plus desk tell you how many were on board? Just being nosey. Also, did the upgrade fairy pay a visit to any of you?

Please ignore this post. I see that it was Alan who told you that there were only 18 D+ on the cruise.

We were upgraded from our JS to a GS. We are too spoiled now! Have already upgraded to a GS for our Voyager cruise next April. Linda, thanks for your concern. We were all right here in the northwest part of OKC. My son and his wife were all right but VERY close to the area where the Love's station was destroyed. He could hear the tornado. Likewise my step-daughter, husband and child were way TOO close to the Norman area tornado. She could both hear and see it as she pulled into her driveway, called after it had passed and said it looked like every house in her neighborhood had roof damage.

2Guys - I don't understand your comments about more room. As akcruz noted, Jr. Suites do not get access to the Concierge Lounge. Only Diamond Plus Crown and Anchor members and Grand suite guests(or above) are allowed in the Concierge Lounge. Just don't want you to be dissapointed.

Archived