Married Name

quick question:

I booked my cruise under my married name but i will not have my passport in time. If i show my marriage certificate and birth certificate with my drivers license (married name) i should be ok since its a closed loop cruise. Right? I do have a passport with my maiden name that i got 3 years ago, but i just never got around to changing my name on the passport

yes, that's fine. You can even bring the maiden name passport, married name driver's license and the marriage license. The key here is the marriage license, which is the "bridge document" between your maiden name ID and your married name ID. And, if you have your maiden name passport with you and need to come home mid=cruise from a foreign port in case of emergency, you'll be able to do so.

I've spent a lot of hours lately trying to get all my documents and tickets to agree with each other. The passport office on my renewal reduced my maiden name to only an initial and picked up my middle name that I had no used since marriage.

The airline agree to stick in my middle name next to my first name but said it was not necessary to reduce my maiden name to an initial.

I was advised to get my middle name initial stuck on to my driver's license at my next renewal.

I'm not happy about all this!

I've yet to bring a marriage lic.....only BC and Dl...no passport. I guess because my middle init. is my maiden init, I'm good to go.

No married woman's BC will match her DL! They look at your birth date, more than anything!

I've yet to bring a marriage lic.....only BC and Dl...no passport. I guess because my middle init. is my maiden init, I'm good to go.

No married woman's BC will match her DL! They look at your birth date, more than anything!

Just because you weren't asked to bridge your married name to your maiden name doesn't mean that they never ask. I've been asked for the ML several times when my BC didn't match my DL, usually after the cruise when re-entering the USA, and usually at Port Canaveral or the Port of New York.

Now I have a married name passort, which makes it all easier.

So long as all your ID documents in both names "cross check" each other, ie date and place of birth, middle initial, etc you should be OK. I travelled overseas on my maiden name passport even though the booking was in my married name and provided I showed a copy of my marriage certificate with both names on it I didn't have any problem. However, the immigration people did keep reminding me to get a new passport in the correct name once I returned from my trip.

Archived