Where you ever scared to cruise

jenndun

I avoided cruising for years because I was scared to death to go on cruise. After realizing that a cruise was an inexpensive vacation compared to other types, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I had a blast and I am planning one on the Dream for October of 2011.

I was never afraid of cruising but I was afraid that I wouldn't enjoy it. Man, was that some dumb thinking! Just finished our first and now I'm bummed I wasted so many trips on going to Vegas. Oh well, those were good times too, just nowhere near the relaxing time that a cruise offers.

The only thing that worries me about my upcoming cruise is that I am leaving DH at home :o. We LOVE to travel together, but this is a special opportunity for me to spend time with my sister and her friends for her birthday.

I know he will be fine... its just he is usually the one who keeps me from going overboard (metaphorically!)

We usually hear the worst of what is going on in the world, and most people have a fabulous time without serious problem, so your odds are fantastic.

I usually tell my friends who are scared that "worrying is using your imagination to create the worst case scenario. You may miss an amazing life experience because you werent looking for it."

I personally find that when I leave for a trip with an open mind and a flexible happy attitude, I will have a great time.

There is nothing you can do to truly prepare for disaster, but knowing it is unlikely to happen, it is simply wasted time to worry.

Hope you have an amazing cruise! I know I will ;)

I have a lot of experience with boats and scuba diving, and I've been sea sick before on smaller boats...it made me nervous even going on a huge ship. So when we had to pick a destination for our Honeymoon I urged my wife to pick anything but a ship! She picked a ship :D (I wanted to go to Disney and do a first class trip... and not worry about getting sea sick on my Honeymoon).

Well as things turned out....we got a rare October hurricane and had to change the date of our wedding (and ended up taking our cruise a year later for our 1st anniversary, we had insurance) and I got to go to Disney for our Honeymoon, and it was a fantastic trip :D I just finished putting our Disney photos in a scrapbook- http://www.panraven.com/mylife/ViewStory.epage?sp=161914&

So a year later we take our first cruise and I had no problems getting sick, even though we hit 3 days of big waves... but my wife woke me up in the middle of the night and was scared... "why is the ship rocking up and down?" (you could hear glasses sliding around in the bathroom). I just explained that there are no paved roads out in the middle of the ocean. I comforted my wife and she made it through the two bad sea days... (what made it funny, was we went to see a show on the second night and the dancers in high heels didn't miss a beat as the ship crashed over the waves).

That was our first cruise... and we've had two more since. It is so much fun :)

But I'll have butterflies and nerves and excitement all rolling through me until the weeks leading up to any flight or cruise! Whether from nerves or excitement I can't always tell.

This time around I'm getting married on a cruise ship and dragging my brother (along with 40 other people) along. :cool:

Now my brother is 6'7 and 300 lbs and the biggest wimp that I know. His first experience flying alone was when he was 17 flying out of LAX in Dec 2001, he was leaving disneyland early due to work and school and my mom had packed his suitcase for him. With the new age of security and guards with machine guns at the airport, when the airline asked if he knew what was in his luggage and if he packed it himself.. he said no! :eek: So extra security and multiple screenings for him! Silly brother no longer quite enjoys flying and can only think of all the things that can go wrong.

Second time on a flight was in the middle of winter on a flight between Saskatchewan and Alberta during a huge snowstorm on a small prop plane. Between him and my sister I didn't know who was going to freak out first! Now they both need just the right amount of alcohol to keep them sane (personally, that was fun!)

Now with the cruise, he has booked a balcony cabin - not because he wants to enjoy the balcony, but because he needs to have it there so if the boat sinks or something goes wrong he can jump off board... however, my little (big) brother doesn't quite know how to swim and I dare say, other than bathing, hasn't held his breath under water in 20 odd years!

Sometimes... you just have to go with the flow

If you start thinking about all the scary things that could happen in almost any situation you can drive yourself crazy. I know because I tend to do it sometimes. I went on the Sensation in November, right after 911 happened. Needless to say I was really worried about taking my family on a plane and also on the ship. But we went and ended up having one of the best trips ever. I almost cancelled and I am really glad I didn't.

I have been so excited about my cruise next week. Then all the sudden I started thinking about all the stuff that could happen. And about being in the middle of the ocean. I kind of scared myself. Had to take a few deep breaths and remind myself how much fun I will have. In the back of my mind I'm still a bit scared. Maybe I shouldn't have watched the Titanic documentary this close to sailing.

I was a little nervous on my first cruise only because I went by myself. I love it now. Just got back and can't wait for the next. :D

But I'll have butterflies and nerves and excitement all rolling through me until the weeks leading up to any flight or cruise! Whether from nerves or excitement I can't always tell.

This time around I'm getting married on a cruise ship and dragging my brother (along with 40 other people) along.

Now my brother is 6'7 and 300 lbs and the biggest wimp that I know. His first experience flying alone was when he was 17 flying out of LAX in Dec 2001, he was leaving disneyland early due to work and school and my mom had packed his suitcase for him. With the new age of security and guards with machine guns at the airport, when the airline asked if he knew what was in his luggage and if he packed it himself.. he said no! So extra security and multiple screenings for him! Silly brother no longer quite enjoys flying and can only think of all the things that can go wrong.

Second time on a flight was in the middle of winter on a flight between Saskatchewan and Alberta during a huge snowstorm on a small prop plane. Between him and my sister I didn't know who was going to freak out first! Now they both need just the right amount of alcohol to keep them sane (personally, that was fun!)

Now with the cruise, he has booked a balcony cabin - not because he wants to enjoy the balcony, but because he needs to have it there so if the boat sinks or something goes wrong he can jump off board... however, my little (big) brother doesn't quite know how to swim and I dare say, other than bathing, hasn't held his breath under water in 20 odd years!

Sometimes... you just have to go with the flow

I bet once he gets his sea legs or gets comfortable on the cruise he'll be having a ball. (Take him to a deck party...:))

Am I unusual? I never think twice about any of these things. I'm not a worrier. Are people this anxious because they don't travel very much, or are these worries applied to other areas of your life besides travel? It must be exhausting.

There are a lot of psychological issues that into irrational fears. It is VERY exhausting to the people who suffer from them. Thing is, they typically don't know how worn out they are until they seek professional help to be able to get past them. Only then do they realize how incapacitating the thoughts were.

^^^^Vanessa, you would have enjoyed the Dr. Phil show on irrational fears where there was a woman who was afraid of cotton balls. Seriously. When she saw one on the show, she took off running! Those were the days where cotton was always stuffed into medicine bottles, so it wasn't impossible to escape them. I thought that was the most bizarre irrational fear I'd ever seen, but that girl was truly terrified of them. Like you said, lots of energy used up on worrying about encountering them. Very little time ever ACTUALLY encountering them. Probably true of most fears. Your actual exposure is minimal, but the worrying about it takes up a whole lot of time and energy.

No. It doesn't matter where you are, something can happen to you. You can get in a car accident at home, you can be taken while you are walking down the street, someone can break into your home and kill you. Fortunately it is unlikely that these things will happen to you, same as with a cruise. Every thing you do carries some risk, even if it is minimal. If I am going to die, I would rather die on the ship than at home.

Our very first cruise was the end of October after 9/11. We were a little worried but we would have lost all of our money if we didn't go.

Of course we went on the cruise and had a great time and have cruised several times since them.

I don't worry anymore. We stay together when we are in a port and are careful just like we would be in any strange city.

Have a great time on your cruise.

I've never had any worries about cruising. The only thing that concerned me at first was that I'm a little claustrophobic and was afraid I'd be bothered in my cabin because of the size. But they were larger than I expected and with the window to look out of I had no problems at all.:)

My first cruise was also my first family vacation as a single parent. I was so young, vulnerable and overwhelmed about being alone and solely responsible for my children. (Dad was not in the picture.)

But EVERYONE on board pampered me, complimented me on my fine, well behaved and lady-like daughters and I WAS HOOKED!

I will never forget how "well cared for" everyone made me feel. With all the food, entertainment and housekeeping taken care of, I was free to just play with my girls.

We had a wonderful time - and I never got over that feeling. That late November aftenoon doing all our Christmas shopping in Cozumel and having lunch on a balcony overlooking coconut palms and the Caribbean sea --- after a morning of snorkling for the first time --- Those little girls are all grown up now and that day STILL rates as one of the best days of my life! (OMG - I'm tearing up- lol!)

I still feel a little overwelmed when stepping on a ship. It's so big! I'll get lost! What if something terrible happens in a forgin port town?!

But then I see the smiling face and hear the welcome aboard and I'm at peace in my adventure! There is NOTHING like it.

~TD

My first cruise was also the first time I'd flown. We flew from VA to Fort Lauderdale. I was more terrified of being on the plane than I was being on the ship. Once we set sail, I was so excited and relaxed. About an hour later, I was so sick I thought I was going to die.Yes, it was just that bad.:eek: I took dramamine but it didn't help. From that day on I said I would never, ever cruise again!

Fast forward 17 years later, I got up the nerve to cruise to Bermuda

(5 days) last summer. I was armed with all kinds of motion sickness meds. I took bonnine two days before the cruise and once a day while on the cruise. I also chewed ginger gum. I never had any nausea. I did feel some slight dizziness but it never last for long. Needless to say from that point on I really enjoyed the cruise. In fact I am cruising to Alaska in June. I'm still not a fan of flying, but I am looking forward to the cruise and once again I will be armed with all sorts of anti-nausea meds.:D

I do have to admit I was a bit scared...

On the first cruise I went on, my daughter had talked me into..she had already cruised..Well, with my problems with motion sickness, and fear of heights I was not happy. We we got on line and got checked in I was feeling sort of confident..we went to get on the ship-I had one foot on the ship and said out-loud "I am not going to like this"..Everyone laughed, since I wasn't even all the way on the ship!

It turned out I had a great time...And am going on my 6th cruise this July...Still have what my family calls "Trip anxiety", but it doesn't stop me from traveling!

The good news is that my appendix already "exploded" in December... and 3 weeks ago had to have my gallbladder removed urgently.... that we got that .

I had real fears first time (2007) did too much many reading of negative posts, much less 2nd cruise last year (2009), now going June 24, I almost want some rough seas for the fun it. :D Had my appendix removed 5 weeks ago.

Wow I would really recommend getting some travel insurance just in case...

LOL!! Believe me! I have decided to do so! I've never had serious health issues before.. but these past few months have been a little strange sooooo... :D

Wow I would really recommend getting some travel insurance just in case...

LOL! Believe me.. I have decided to do so!! I have never had health issues like this before so it's a crazy time for me!!

I had real fears first time (2007) did too much many reading of negative posts, much less 2nd cruise last year (2009), now going June 24, I almost want some rough seas for the fun it. :D Had my appendix removed 5 weeks ago.

Hope your recovery is going well! :D

Please forgive me if I just did a double post.. I'm a newbie!!

Archived