??? cruising with a 6mth old

guk

We have been on the independence before but are due to sail on it again Mar 2011 with a 6 mth old and although really excited there was a couple of things I was wondering about.

1. Is there anywhere other than your cabin where you can change your babies nappy, on deck 10 so could be a nightmare when down on the lower levels?

2. What have people done about sterilising bottles on cruises, I am hoping to breastfeed however was not successful with my DD so want to be prepared in case same happens again?

3. Also what are people experiances on discreetly breastfeeding on cruises(if I manage) in the more public areas of the ship as do not want to have to go back to the cabin eveytime to feed?

I know this is quite far in advance of us sailing but I know when the baby gets here I probably won't have as much time to look into these things so trying to be as prepared as I can, any other advice or people experiances travelling on cruises with babies much appreciated.

I've sailed with my daughter at 6 and 7mo but not on the Independance. I'll still try to give you some answers.

1. We changed our daughter in the public restroom once because we were at dinner and didn't want to go back to the room. Otherwise we just went back to the cabin several times per day and changed her while we were there.

2. I never steralize bottles. It's really not necessary, just ask your doctor if you don't believe me. We brought dish detergent and a bottle brush and washed the bottles out in the cabin.

3. I don't think breastfeeding in public is a big deal. If you are keyed in to looking for it you will see moms doing it around the pool etc all the time. If you aren't looking you likely won't notice. If you are concerned you can use a light blanket or a comercially available product (like hooter hiders etc) to cover yourself and your child. A lot of mom's don't like to do that b/c the baby gets too hot.

A couple of other things I learned. Bring one or two small toys of your own. We brought the inflatable pool but didn't use it as much as we thought we would. Babies that young don't really miss the pool. Bring a stroller that is comfortable for your baby so he/she can nap while you are on the go. A stroller that fully reclines might be best. They may not have the actual fitted pack n play sheets for the PNP they give you on the ship. THey will fold up a regular sheet for you. If that bothers you pack a sheet for the PNP.

Have a great time!

A 6 mo. old shouldn't need sterilized stuff....they're at the age where they touch things, and hands go into the mouth....once they start doing that, they're getting their fair share of germs, and that's what makes their immune system strong!

If you're discreet about breastfeeding, no one will even know you're doing it! I mean, I wouldn't breastfeed at the dinner table, but in a quiet corner...sure! I've done it!

Some ships do have a changing station in a public bathroom or two...some don't.... unless there's a terrible "mess", I wouldn't go all the way back to the cabin...I'd find somewhere!

Archived