What are your "ground rules" for your kids on a cruise.

needalatte74

I'm pretty sure my kids will be generally well behaved, but I realize that no kid is perfect, especially when excitement sets in. Therefore I plan to establish a list of ground rules.

Our 18 year old, I'm not too worried about. She'll likely hang with friends that she makes typically around the pool area. I will set a curfew for the evenings if she wants to venture out with friends.

For my 10 year old, she'll be in the kid's program most of the day or in the pools with friends. She too is quite the social butterfly and makes friends in an instant. But has a tendency to get too excited, kwim?? LOL

Perhaps, no running and no yelling are the most important. Be courteous when walking through crowds and above all, use "thank you's" and "please".

Both the older ones will have "check in with mom/dad" times as well as "meet back at the cabin" times established.

My 4 year old, I'm not too worried about because he won't be unsupervised at all. He'll either be in the kids program or with us at all times.

I've heard horror stories of kids onboard ships and parents not caring. I'm not one of those parents, but it is unrealistic to watch ALL my kids every minute.

So... What ground rules do you establish when sailing with the kiddos??

I usually tell my kids to respect others. Don't play with the buttons on the elevator, and don't jump around the stateroom... the people next door and below will hear the thumping.

I dunno... our last cruise, my son asked me, "Why are the people upstairs stomping around their room!??!"

"They're not being very considerate."

Same rules as home: Doesn't even need to be discussed its all understood. I fully expect to have to remind them as appropriate and they should not be suprised to get it!

Okay to have fun, lots of fun!

Bad behavior, bending or compromsing our values not allowed!

Some things will NOT be or appear fun, but just like at home, they need to roll with it!

sit down meals in the MDR could be long (2 hours or more) so bring some work books, crayons or something for your 4YO. We travel with 4 kids under 6 and each have their own portfolio with crayons, markers, coloring book, work book etc.

My kids were older teenagers. Our rules were simple;

- no running in the hallways or making racket

- respect other passengers

- check-in with us (we hung out at a certain area)

- they have to be dressed and ready to eat in the dining room each night

- if they did get into trouble, they would be hanging out with me, and I stay at the pool in the sun

- while in ports, they have to stay with us at all times

We had no problems. Everyone had a great time!

Our two sons are 8 and 9 so they will not be going off on their own yet, but we are "practicing" how to behave while on board ship. They are both in Cub Scouts and this last year they added a new belt loop on Good Manners. Both boys love earning new belt loops. We are going to kill two birds with one stone - earn a belt loop and behave so we don't bother others on board the ship!:)

Our kids are 7 and 9 and they don't go off on their own on cruises. However, we enforce the same general behavior rules as at home, with extra enforcement on the following:

No running *anywhere*

No loud voices in the hallways/cabin. (on deck or in kids area is okay, in moderation)

No getting up at mealtimes - must stay in seat in dining room. No loud voices in dining room.

No splashing or shouting in the pool area. (Kid-haters really make a big deal about this, and I don't want my children to be the source of the problem.)

My kids know the cruise rules, and they know that if they don't follow them, they'll get to sit in the cabin all day, which is not their idea of fun. ;) In the case of dining room behavior, they don't get dessert if they don't behave well.

• 2 weeks later...
Our two sons are 8 and 9 so they will not be going off on their own yet, but we are "practicing" how to behave while on board ship. They are both in Cub Scouts and this last year they added a new belt loop on Good Manners. Both boys love earning new belt loops. We are going to kill two birds with one stone - earn a belt loop and behave so we don't bother others on board the ship!:)

Aren't those Belt Loops awesome! I need to look for the good manners one... Perfect for our trip!

I'll start by saying I have not read the previous posts. These are the rules for our 9 year old DD.

1. Treat all staff with respect. You will use please and thank you anytime you ask for something and receive something.

2. Be on your BEST behavior in the kids center. I have never had the staff tell me my child is acting up but if so she would lose that privelege for a day. She would also appologize to the staff in the form of verbal and written communication.

3. Quiet voices in the hallways between the hrs of 9p-10am. Regular indoor voices may be used around the cabins during the other hours.

4. No stomping, running or jumping in the hallways. (Remember there could be someone taking a nap.)

5. Do NOT stand in front of someones cabin and chit chat.(Oh wait that one is for the drunk adults who talk in front of my cabin at 2am)

6. You do not need 2 ice cream cones at the same time. :)

7. Do not cut in the buffet line to grab 2 or 3 items. If you forgot your butter or need one pancake you may very nicely ask the person in line if you may please grab that one item you forgot. If they say no then don't do it.

8. DO NOT CLIMB ON ANY RAILINGS. Don't even think about it. I don't care if it's inside the ship or out on deck.

I'll start by saying I have not read the previous posts. These are the rules for our 9 year old DD.

1. Treat all staff with respect. You will use please and thank you anytime you ask for something and receive something.

2. Be on your BEST behavior in the kids center. I have never had the staff tell me my child is acting up but if so she would lose that privelege for a day. She would also appologize to the staff in the form of verbal and written communication.

3. Quiet voices in the hallways between the hrs of 9p-10am. Regular indoor voices may be used around the cabins during the other hours.

4. No stomping, running or jumping in the hallways. (Remember there could be someone taking a nap.)

5. Do NOT stand in front of someones cabin and chit chat.(Oh wait that one is for the drunk adults who talk in front of my cabin at 2am)

6. You do not need 2 ice cream cones at the same time. :)

7. Do not cut in the buffet line to grab 2 or 3 items. If you forgot your butter or need one pancake you may very nicely ask the person in line if you may please grab that one item you forgot. If they say no then don't do it.

8. DO NOT CLIMB ON ANY RAILINGS. Don't even think about it. I don't care if it's inside the ship or out on deck.

Great! I'd add:

• Do not go into anyone else's cabin.
  • Do not let anyone else into your/our cabin.

Thanks to all for the great advice. Keep the suggestions coming! There's always someone who thinks of something that we hadn't or who has personal experience with something they saw or heard happened. We haven't cruised with our son since he was in the kids program. Now that he is considered a teen on Rci ships, we know that he'll have a lot more freedom on the ship than he has ever had. My main concern is that he is safe, then second, that he is respectful to everyone and everything. We're all very excited about our cruise, since it's been over 2 years since our last. I just don't want to spend the entire cruise wondering "Is he where he is supposed to be, doing what he sadi he was going to do?". We've always trusted him, but I tell you, something changed in him when he turned 12. Hormones, right?

Our rules for our 5 and 7 year old was no jumping in the rooms, be quiet in the main dining room (that seemed to be a little hard for my youngest as dinner took forever so we didn't eat there much), they could eat dinner with the other kids only once, and they had to attend one show with us so they had to figure out what activities they were willing to miss for the trip. Of course there was also no running and some of the normal everyday rules already!

Archived