inside or balcony???

powelweb

Hi All,

We just booked for our first Alaska cruise (which might be our only trip to Alaska), and while we're currently in a balcony, I'm looking for advice about whether an inside would be ok, too.

We're sailing on Princess and I understand that there will be a nature guide onboard. Do they normally broadcast the guide's commentary on the PA system, or would we need to be in the public areas where the guide is in order to hear their narration?

thanks for your thoughts

Wendy

We went to Alaska on RCI so I can't answer the question on the nature guide part.

We had an inside on the Radiance of the Seas so we had more $$ for shore excursions and the land portion of our trip. We really didn't spend that much time in our cabin. The rest of the time was either on deck or in windowed areas of the ship or on shore. For glacier viewing the deck is the best place where you can move around.

Check out the link in my signature for an idea of what you'll see. The scenery in Alaska is incredible and you'll have a great time.

Is there no compromise with an 'outside'? We have done Deluxe Verandah Suites a few times to Alaska and it is wonderful, but this time we are going with an outside in close proximity to elevators and the walking deck so essentially have the biggest balcony on the ship at quite a savings. I have never not had a verandah so it will be interesting, but I think we will love it just the same.

Is there no compromise with an 'outside'? We have done Deluxe Verandah Suites a few times to Alaska and it is wonderful, but this time we are going with an outside in close proximity to elevators and the walking deck so essentially have the biggest balcony on the ship at quite a savings. I have never not had a verandah so it will be interesting, but I think we will love it just the same.

This is the way I see it, and maybe the OP agrees: If you've got an Oceanview, you're probably still going to be spending most of the time outside your cabin (getting better views from other parts of the ship), so why spend the money over an inside?

We had a veranda suite on possibly OUR only cruise to Alaska. We were topside going INTO Glacier Bay, then went below to our room when the ship turned around and left Glacier Bay (we had a Starboard room). It was neat being closer to the water and seeing the big ice chunks float by beneath us.

If you can afford it, by all means get a Veranda. DH spent a LOT of time out there with binoculars in the inside passage and especially saling down towards Vancouver on our last night until dark.:)

Upcoming is my first cruise to AK. We chose a balcony for various reasons, including being able to go back to our cabin and stay warm and dry, yet still be able to enjoy the scenary if the weather is bad. Sure, there are places around most ships to view from the inside. But would prefer not to have to elbow people to get a glance out a window.

Ocean views? I've had one, and seen several. The windows were all fairly beat and the glass was cloudy.

Got our NCL Pearl cruise via skyauction.com. The auction was for an inside room. Husband and I could well afford to upgrade to balcony but chose not to for the following reasons: we do not spend that much time in our cabin - we like being on deck, more opportunity to meet people, daylight lasts longer in Alaska this time of year-room will be more conducive to sleeping. We have been on many cruises during our married life and usually get at the very least window rooms if not balcony's. This is our first inside room....don't think we will miss the upgrade at all!

Alaska = Balcony Room Always!

When we went on our first cruise to Alaska I became sick with a cold on one of the days we were glacier cruising. I was laid up in my upper bunk with my pajamas on and could see everything floating by through the balcony doors. I didn't miss a thing. You wouldn't be able to do that in an interior room and would be hard pressed to do it in an oceanview room. My dad went back and forth between and the balcony and the room as he pleased plus the loo was nearby for all of us.

This is really a personal preference thing. I know people say you "must" have a balcony in Alaska... but honestly, at risk of what? If you don't get a balcony are you going to die? Is your arm going to fall off? Are you guaranteed a miserable cruise? Seriously... At worst you won't have a "private" space to stand and look at things (and for many balconies it's not even very private, since they're completely open to being viewed by others, or you'll have to deal with someone smoking, or with one of your neighbors being loud/obnoxious, etc).

There are areas of the ship that I understand tend to be less crowded -- like the promenade or "secret" public balconies that are normally locked but which are unlocked during the glacier viewing. Plus with the balcony, you're stuck with the view you get from your balcony -- unless you leave your room. Being on deck, you can move around more freely and see what interests you most at any given moment.

DH and I just booked a cruise to Alaska and got an oceanview (we won't do inside just because we need a little natural light or I get claustrophobic). Do I wish we had a balcony? Sure. But I wasn't about to spend $800 more just for the cheapest balcony. I'd rather spend that $800 taking some unforgettable excursions at the ports, and then deal with viewing the glaciers from public areas.

Besides, most of the ships have a huge number of balconies, so it would stand to reason that if they're really that wonderful, everyone who has a balcony will be out on it during the glaciers. That means less passengers up on deck or in other public areas. So, it's not like you'll be elbowing 2000+ people for a spot!

We have been to Alaska in every sort of accomodation from a luxury balcony suite to an inside cabin. All the trips were great!

Consequently, we don't book a balcony now when we go back to Alaska (eighth trip on May 30) because we really don't feel the little bit of use we get from it is worth the very large extra price. IMAO, it is much better to spend that extra money on some of the very pricey excursions.

Now, if you are a senior citizen with mobility issues, you might find the balcony to be more useful. My dear 93 year old Aunt Ruth loved the balcony. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaZ.html

But in general we would much rather be out and around the ship than in our cabin, even on the balcony. The weather in Alaska is such that balcony time is frequently limited, especially when the ship is underway. If you want to be spotting wildlife, you want to be at the front of the ship with your binoculars anyhow as your balcony limits your view to one direction. It is very frustrating to be standing on a starboard balcony and hearing the naturalist describe the pod of killer whales on the port side!!

If you get an inside cabin, a good trick is to leave the TV tuned to the bow cam so it is just like having a small window in the cabin. You can also hear the naturalist's commentary and scramble up on deck if he announces something exciting coming up.

So -- I beg to differ from those who say Alaska=Balcony always! Consider well what your style is and what you want to see and do in Alaska. If it is a choice between balcony or helicopter glacier landing, which means the most to you?

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks for all the comments- keep them coming.

Looking at our sailing, I can save $2,400 if we switch from the balcony we're currently booked in to an inside.

While this is our first princess cruise, we've sailed other lines and have had insides, oceanviews, balconies and suites, so I know we'd manage in either cabin.

Oceanview price is only $760 less than balcony, so at that point, I'd stick with the balcony, but going down to the inside would basically cover our airfare.

Looking at our sailing, I can save $2,400 if we switch from the balcony we're currently booked in to an inside.

While this is our first princess cruise, we've sailed other lines and have had insides, oceanviews, balconies and suites, so I know we'd manage in either cabin.

Oceanview price is only $760 less than balcony, so at that point, I'd stick with the balcony, but going down to the inside would basically cover our airfare.

I love balconies. But if it came to iside or nothing, I'd probably take inside.

But for AK, a balcony is a MUST!! :p

$2400 is enough to go on another cruise! For that kind of savings, there'd be no question for me!

Let the other suckers enjoy their overpriced balcony, while you enjoy the superior views from up deck, and enjoy another cruise or some incredible excursions on the Alaska cruise.

Consider how you will feel when you walk out of your dark, claustophobic inside cabin and your neighbors across the way have their cabin door open and your see the wonderful, glorious view (and light). Will you regret not spending the extra money for a balcony? I sure would. For me, it's not so much about the glacier or wildlife viewing, which you can certainly do from the public decks. It's more about those quiet mornings just enjoying the view and the world sliding by as you get dressed and ready for the day. Or relaxing with a glass of wine in the evening on a deck chair. I find a balcony cabin to be so much more "relaxing" as you really don't mind spending more time in a balcony cabin. Sure, many people get an inside cabin because "we don't spend much time in the cabin". I've found that with a balcony, especially with the incredible scenery of Alaska, I don't mind spending more time in the cabin, and it adds immensely to the cruise experience.

After reading the responses, I would say 'how much extra' is a balcony worth. $2400 extra for a 7 -10 night cruise might be acceptable to some, but not worth to others. We got a balcony but it was about 700 more.

I figured $100/nt more was definately worth the upgrade

We have booked a balcony, but we are in a family veranda room aft (very rear of ship). this is our first Alaskan cruise, will we be disappointed with our views? Now I'm reading the front of the ship is the place to be.

Also, does anyone know if Celebrity Millennium has a naturalist onboard narrating over the PA?

But in general we would much rather be out and around the ship than in our cabin, even on the balcony. The weather in Alaska is such that balcony time is frequently limited, especially when the ship is underway. If you want to be spotting wildlife, you want to be at the front of the ship with your binoculars anyhow as your balcony limits your view to one direction. It is very frustrating to be standing on a starboard balcony and hearing the naturalist describe the pod of killer whales on the port side!!
For me, it's not so much about the glacier or wildlife viewing, which you can certainly do from the public decks. It's more about those quiet mornings just enjoying the view and the world sliding by as you get dressed and ready for the day. Or relaxing with a glass of wine in the evening on a deck chair. I find a balcony cabin to be so much more "relaxing" as you really don't mind spending more time in a balcony cabin. Sure, many people get an inside cabin because "we don't spend much time in the cabin". I've found that with a balcony, especially with the incredible scenery of Alaska, I don't mind spending more time in the cabin, and it adds immensely to the cruise experience.

So there you go. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. YMMV.

You have to decide what is right for YOU!

Whichever way you go I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

After reading the responses, I would say 'how much extra' is a balcony worth. $2400 extra for a 7 -10 night cruise might be acceptable to some, but not worth to others. We got a balcony but it was about 700 more.

I figured $100/nt more was definately worth the upgrade

That's the bottom line. If you want it, and the cost won't take away from excursions and the like, then do it. I feel bad for someone who wants a balcony, can afford it, but just isn't able to plunk down the money. Those folks are going to be miserable in an inside.

That's the bottom line. If you want it, and the cost won't take away from excursions and the like, then do it. I feel bad for someone who wants a balcony, can afford it, but just isn't able to plunk down the money. Those folks are going to be miserable in an inside.

Who says they're going to be miserable? If they really think they'll be that miserable with an inside because they can't afford a balcony, I'd think they just wouldn't book until they could afford the balcony. Otherwise, there are a lot of people out there (like myself) that would certainly love to have a balcony, but don't want to pay for it (or can't afford it) and will have a perfectly happy cruise in a non-balcony room. It's all about how flexible you are, and how much you allow things like balconies to make or break your entire your vacation. Life's too short to avoid taking a vacation because you can't have the swankiest accommodations. I've had balconies on the majority of my cruises thus far, in both Mexico and the Mediterranean -- and while I loved having them, and we certainly used them, if we had had a non-balcony room I certainly would not have been anywhere near miserable, or had any less fun!

This question is like "do you want to fly first class?" or "do you want to own a beach front property?" Of course, we all do.

If you can't afford it, forget it. That's life. If you can afford it, ask if you are willing to spend the money. Life is a pick and choose game; we can't have everything.

I guess I can afford a balcony. If a balcony will cost me say 2K, I would rather spend the money on excursion or one more cruise in Alaska or else where.

Archived