inside or balcony???

powelweb

Who says they're going to be miserable? If they really think they'll be that miserable with an inside because they can't afford a balcony, I'd think they just wouldn't book until they could afford the balcony.

Life's too short to avoid taking a vacation because you can't have the swankiest accommodations.

You don't understand what I said:

"That's the bottom line. If you want it, and the cost won't take away from excursions and the like, then do it. I feel bad for someone who wants a balcony, *can afford it,* but just isn't able to plunk down the money. Those folks are going to be miserable in an inside."

I stand by what I said. If a person WANTS a balcony, CAN afford it, but just can't bring themselves to spend the money, they aren't going to be happy in an inside. I agree with others. If I want that cruise, and all I can swing is an inside, I'll take it. And I wouldn't refer to the balcony guests as "suckers" either.

You don't understand what I said:

"That's the bottom line. If you want it, and the cost won't take away from excursions and the like, then do it. I feel bad for someone who wants a balcony, *can afford it,* but just isn't able to plunk down the money. Those folks are going to be miserable in an inside."

I stand by what I said. If a person WANTS a balcony, CAN afford it, but just can't bring themselves to spend the money, they aren't going to be happy in an inside. I agree with others. If I want that cruise, and all I can swing is an inside, I'll take it. And I wouldn't refer to the balcony guests as "suckers" either.

Still not true. My husband and I can definitely afford a balcony. In fact, we could easily afford a mini-suite. But we choose not to spend our money on those things, even though we've loved having a balcony in the past and certainly would love to have one again. We prefer to derive the biggest value from our dollar, and thus are perfectly happy to forgo certain "luxuries" if it doesn't make fiscal sense to us. Spending an extra $800 for a balcony on our upcoming Alaska cruise certainly would have been doable for us, without any strain on our pocket, but I really don't believe that having a balcony or not is going to make or break our vacation. We don't need a balcony to have a good time, and thus have chosen to spend that money on other things.

Still not true. My husband and I can definitely afford a balcony. In fact, we could easily afford a mini-suite. But we choose not to spend our money on those things, even though we've loved having a balcony in the past and certainly would love to have one again. We prefer to derive the biggest value from our dollar, and thus are perfectly happy to forgo certain "luxuries" if it doesn't make fiscal sense to us. Spending an extra $800 for a balcony on our upcoming Alaska cruise certainly would have been doable for us, without any strain on our pocket, but I really don't believe that having a balcony or not is going to make or break our vacation. We don't need a balcony to have a good time, and thus have chosen to spend that money on other things.

LOL Clearly you don't WANT an balcony. I was talking about folks that could afford a balcony, and wanted a balcony. You can afford a balcony, and DON'T want a balcony.

Why are we arguing about night and day?

Wife and I worked several cruise ships in Alaska as naturalists and usually had an inside room. Didn't complain since it came with the job. However, the time we paid for a verandah for a vacation on the Disney Wonder changed our minds. Having the outside area really opens things up. Maybe we just got spoiled :)

LOL Clearly you don't WANT an balcony. I was talking about folks that could afford a balcony, and wanted a balcony. You can afford a balcony, and DON'T want a balcony.

Why are we arguing about night and day?

I want a balcony; I just don't want to pay the premium for it -- even though we can afford it. I'd rather spend that money on other things, since I know the cabin we booked will be adequate for our needs.

You absolutely MUST have a balcony for Alaska. Do not even consider not getting a balcony. Just my opinion.

I disagree, just came back and we were in an outside cabin on 3rd deck and our window was huge and we could see everything very clearly including a whale. The balconies can be cold and they are so much more expensive. It is also more fun sitting or standing outside and talking to other cruisers. Our naturalist on the Millie was Milos who was fantastic and he spent most of our sea days in the Cosmos lounge on the 11th deck in front of the ship pointing out different fishes birds and the occasional whale. All his lectures can be seen on TV but going to the glaciers are broadcasted live but not in the cabins. However you can put on your TV and listen

Just my opinion

Ontari Cruiser

this has been debated over and over on this board. If you have budget and would splurge a little bit for the trip, book balcony by all means. It is better than inside room for sure. We rarely spent much time in the room anyway, so an inside cabin worked just fine for us.

That's the bottom line. If you want it, and the cost won't take away from excursions and the like, then do it. I feel bad for someone who wants a balcony, can afford it, but just isn't able to plunk down the money. Those folks are going to be miserable in an inside.

HMMM -- seems to me that an inside cabin is perfect for counting the money you saved. You can spread it out all over the bed, and not have to worry about a nasty gust of wind from the balcony blowing your money away ... ;);)

Simply put! The person in the inside cabin will not know what they missed by not having a balcony during the time they are in the cabin. The person in the balcony cabin will not know if it would have made any difference in their experience by being in an inside cabin. (Personally I am a balcony person ;))

That is why ships have different cabins for different folks!:)

Happy Cruising!:)

This post comes around and around. Everyone has the freedom of choice, and it's wonderful it's available.

For me, I'll be traveling 2-3 times longer than some balcony cabin purchasers, for the same costs, which is my priority. :) Everyone is different.

HMMM -- seems to me that an inside cabin is perfect for counting the money you saved. You can spread it out all over the bed, and not have to worry about a nasty gust of wind from the balcony blowing your money away ... ;);)

But will Demi Moore be there to roll around in it?? ;)

I want a balcony; I just don't want to pay the premium for it -- even though we can afford it. I'd rather spend that money on other things, since I know the cabin we booked will be adequate for our needs.

LOL, okay, you win.

thanks for all the suggestions- i just moved us to an inside but on the aloha deck right next to the stairs so we can pop up easily.

I'm looking forward to booking a glacier flight tour with the savings on this trip.

We deliberated about having a balcony for our upcoming 14 night cruise aboard the Amsterdam this June/July. We went from a balcony, to an oceanview, back to a balcony and back to an oceanview. The TA was very gracious during this indecisive period. Being retired we kept feeling guilty about spending about $4,000 more for the balcony. In the end we lucked out and got an upsell for $700 for a balcony guarantee.

We debated about this very thing for our first cruise and choose to spluge on a balcony and loved it! Yes, we did spend a good amount of time in the common areas which have fabulous views. BUT we enjoyed waking up and seeing the beauty of Alaska in the mornings from our cabin! When we'd come back from shore excursions, it was so nice to have the view while dressing for dinner.

My parents had an inside cabin on their first cruise and regretted it as my dad got sick and they had NO view for the two days they were stuck inside their non-view cabin. Mom said she couldn't even tell if it was day or night.

We all booked three balconies for our upcoming cruise in July.

To each his own and it's all personal choice. I prefer a balcony or at the very least a window. :)

This is an interesting thread. I like hearing how other cruisers made their choice.One just has to read the 'upgrade' threads on the various boards to see that a balcony has value.

After airfare, transfers, fees, taxes gratuities etc...Our balcony

is costing us 17% more than an inside for the 7 nt inside passage alaskan cruise we booked. When I first started pricing the trip, it was as high as a 33% premium for a balcony depending on the ship/cruiseline. After all costs(not including time off work) it made sense for us to get the balcony, but I understand why some opt for an inside

A balcony is always nice, however some peoples budget doesn't stretch that far in which case a ocean view or even inside is just fine. This year because of the numerous times we have been to Alaksa we have booked an ocean view. Frankly, during the shoulder seasons when it is teaming rain and cool, you are going to get very little use out of your balcony. Plus the only way you are really going to see all of Alaska that your cruise provides is go get out of your cabin and out on deck or at least into one of the forward or aft facing public lounges that most ships have.

Good for you! I was going to respond earlier in the thread but as more and more posts came up just liked watching it :D

Such a personal decision and I'm glad to see you made a choice that works for you.

FWIW I had 3 insides booked, I'm totally a value person. Then when my parents and my aunt decided to join us for once in a lifetime group cruise I struggled and decided to do two balconys and 3 inside so the older folks could just take in from the comforts of the cabin. Took a lot of heat that has yet to stop from the DW as to what a total waste of money and there is a lot of public balcony and you know all the people who paid for their private balcony won't be fighting for it as they got to justify their extra $ ;) On our last Alaska we had no problem finding free public balcony during any of the prime viewing session. As one poster said pretty nice to be on top and when the ship turns or the hot sight of the moment moves from port to startboard or to bow you just do the short walk :D

thanks for all the suggestions- i just moved us to an inside but on the aloha deck right next to the stairs so we can pop up easily.

I'm looking forward to booking a glacier flight tour with the savings on this trip.

Now that I'm back.....and we had a balcony....it was INCREDIBLE to be able to sit quietly on my balcony right NEXT to the Margerie Glacier :):):):):) I would have not wanted it any other way. But..........for my husband and I to get a balcony room for ourselves will cost almost $4,000. Way too much for my taste :( not sure how anyone affords this without going with other couples...something i won't want to do on my anniversary *sigh*

I have had two balcony cabins, but neither were on Alaska cruises. While I enjoyed having natural light, I rarely spent time on them.

I initially booked inside cabins for my 3 Alaska cruises. On two of those cruises, the price of an obstructed oceanview cabin dropped to less than the price of our inside, so we switched. My favorite OV was the Cat. HH on the lower promenade deck of HAL Veendam. Our cabin was just a few doors away from the door to the outside deck, and we loved the location.

I am cruising on the 14-night HAL Amsterdam in 2011 with 2 friends. While I would prefer to pay for an inside cabin, I booked an OV because it was slightly bigger, and it had a larger bathroom (bathtub instead of shower only). The balcony cabins on HAL's smaller ships are a LOT more expensive than an OV, so we will be happy with our window. :)

Have been on one AK cruise with a balcony and one inside. Didn't use the balcony all that much actually. In Glacier Bay I was outside in front where I got a view of BOTH sides of the ship and straight ahead - way better than confining myself to the view just from my balcony.

I am considering a very last-minute AK cruise the end of August. It would definitely be inside only. Inside or no cruise at all makes the decision super easy.

We've been on an Alaskan cruise twice before. Both times we had a balcony. Loved, loved, loved it. Wouldn't consider doing it any other way, unless of course, we just couldn't afford it. And we don't consider ourselves suckers. We work very hard for our money and the extra money for the balcony is a special treat for us. We sat on our balcony for hours looking at the scenery. However, needless to say. just being able to go on an Alaskan cruise is a real blessing. So much beauty to see up there. If I only had money for an inside, you better believe I would still go. Like others said, there are plenty of places on deck to see nature.

SHIRLEY

We had an obstructed view cabin for our one Alaskan cruise. It was perfectly fine. We could see fairly well when standing up. When there was anything interesting to watch, we could walk down a flight of stairs to the Promenade Deck.

The difference in price was $600 per person. We spent less than that on all our excursions.

Archived