how to get to Alhambra from Malaga

I'm sure there are lots, I can't recommend one. Our "guide" was only a driver and he was underwhelming. For example, he couldn't drive down into the old city of Granada since he wasn't a licensed guide, and merely dumped at us at the Alhambra for the day and picked us up later. He did buy us our tickets in advance so we could avoid the lines.

But, my recommendation is to take a ship's tour if at all possible. It's a fairly long drive, and traffic in Spain can be a real pain, especially on weekends from Granada to the coast. We were with friends, a group of 6, and we laughed about how we would have to take the train to Lisbon if we missed the ship, but it's not funny if it happens. We left in plenty of time to get back to the ship, but got caught in a horrendous traffic jam and arrived with about a half hour to spare. Not recommended.

Anyone know of tour guides who go from Malaga to Alhambra?

It's far on public transit. First you'll need to get to Malaga bus station (cab but not too far from port). Then take 2 hr bus ride to Granada (schedules are here http://www.movelia.es/). Then cab to Alhambra. I think it's too much for 1 day.

The alternative is to pay around $200pp for ship's tour or join the roll call for your sailing and try to put a group together. People on our cruise used this company http://www.guiasgranada.com for private trip to Granada (Alhambra) from Malaga. I didn't go but I think it was 16 pax bus at cost of 50+ euro pp.

Go on the ships tour by all means! Although we are extreme DIY-travellers and go without a tour everywhere you have a few problems doing this by yourself. A) it is a very very long way and you might miss the ship unless you have the guarantee that the ship will be waiting. The people who went on the ships excursion on our last cruise arrived back just in time... B) the time slotted tickets are a pain. You have to order them way in advance, and how will you be able to tell what time?

Do go though, it is a sight not to be missed.

Go on the ships tour by all means! Although we are extreme DIY-travellers and go without a tour everywhere you have a few problems doing this by yourself. A) it is a very very long way and you might miss the ship unless you have the guarantee that the ship will be waiting. The people who went on the ships excursion on our last cruise arrived back just in time... B) the time slotted tickets are a pain. You have to order them way in advance, and how will you be able to tell what time?

Do go though, it is a sight not to be missed.

I completely agree with UKBayern. I usually suggested cruise passengers to book cruise shore excursion to Alhambra for the exact same reasons UKBayern mentioned.

The Palace is usually sold out as thay have now limited the number of visitors.

The chances of getting a ticket without a proper tour is rare.

I live near Malaga and this info comes from tour rep I know.

• 4 months later...

Jumping back on this thread, even though we are no longer booked on this cruise. I still keep up with all your posts.

We will be in Spain in 2 weeks on the Noordam and are using http://www.spaindaytours.com for a small group to do private tours to Seville (in Cadiz 7AM to 8PM) and Granada (in Malaga 8AM to 5PM). Check them out and see if the price and time frame work for you. They have been very quick to respond to all questions and come highly recommended.

Good luck putting something together.

Lauri

• 2 weeks later...

Best advice is not to try to do The Alhambra on your own. We went with a tour group while staying at a time share a few years ago and there were many disappointed people at the gate that could not get in because they had not made advance reservations. The tour group will take care of that for you. There is so much to see and the guide is there to explain it all. Fascinating day! Highlight of our trip. Don't miss it!

Best advice is not to try to do The Alhambra on your own. We went with a tour group while staying at a time share a few years ago and there were many disappointed people at the gate that could not get in because they had not made advance reservations. The tour group will take care of that for you. There is so much to see and the guide is there to explain it all. Fascinating day! Highlight of our trip. Don't miss it!

I fully agree.

We usually don't do the ship's tours but here we did. We were on a small ship and only a couple buses took us to the Alhambra with guides.

When I read that it is quite a distance from the port and that advanced tickets may be required, we decided to bite the bullet.

For more pictures and descriptions http://www.*****.com/Alhambra1.html

al%2073.jpgal%2074.jpg

al%2076.jpgal%2077.jpg

al%2075.jpg

• 2 months later...

I also recomend spaindaytours. We took their Granada tour last month with about a dozen others from cruiseCritic. They provided a comfortable minbus and guide for the approx 2 hr trip from Malaga to Granada and then a local guide for the Alhambra. It wasn't cheap - $92 euros including admission, but they are very professional and I felt it was one of the best tours I have taken.

Archived