Lubeck or Wismar

We are foregoing the trip into Berlin. Considering going to Lubeck or Wismar. If you have been to both cities, which would you recommend? We will be there on a Monday and are interested in history and architecture. Thanks for any input.

We are foregoing the trip into Berlin. Considering going to Lubeck or Wismar. If you have been to both cities, which would you recommend? We will be there on a Monday and are interested in history and architecture. Thanks for any input.

Ā 

Ā 

I'll be following your thread with interest as we've also decided to miss Berlin and replace with Lubeck. We were originally going to try and do both Hamburg and Lubeck but after reading the timetables supplied by the wonderful HeinBlod we've decided we'd be rushing too much so Lubeck it is

Ā 

When time and budget permit I would go to LĆ¼beck.

Ā 

Here you find impressions of both places:

Ā 

http://www.heinbloed-on-tour.de

Ā 

I think LĆ¼beck offers "more" but you need one more hour to get there and one more hour to get back.

Ā 

Regards

HeinBloed

I would go to LĆ¼beck, it is bigger and there is more to see than in Wismar.

Ā 

My opinion from an American that has been living in Rostock for 3 years. :). I have been to both cities, and stayed in LĆ¼beck for a few days.

We have also opted to forgo Berlin in favor of a more local excursion. While taking the train is tempting, there is too little time left for Lubeck (we are at Warnemunde 9:00a - 11:59p), so we opted for the ship excursion. It's generally my last choice, but in this case, was much cheaper than a private tour, and allows us some free time in Lubeck. We also stop at Wismar on the way back, so we don't have to choose!

Ā 

I'm hoping it's as wonderful as everyone says. Schwerin was a close contender.

Ā 

Julie

I think you will enjoy LĆ¼beck. Altstadt (old city) is really beautiful. I am not photographer but this was taken last Sept from one of the churches. You really get a nice view of the city when you climb up. In altstadt the house are in traditional hanseatic style. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Ā 

photo.php?pid=30495243&id=1363271042

Ā 

Hmm...photo is not showing up...:'(

Edited by Nasenbaer
my picture is not showing up

We have a rental car from 9am, planning to be back on the ship 13 hours later.

Ā 

Schwerin is our first destination. Wismar is directly enroute back to Warnemunde, but should we deviate toward Lubeck instead? Or should we just concentrate on spending most of our time in Schwerin?

Ā 

Danke!

We have a rental car from 9am, planning to be back on the ship 13 hours later.

Ā 

Schwerin is our first destination. Wismar is directly enroute back to Warnemunde, but should we deviate toward Lubeck instead? Or should we just concentrate on spending most of our time in Schwerin?

Ā 

Danke!

Ā 

Since you have a car and maybe it is a unique chance to see something from this area.

Ā 

I would go LĆ¼beck first.

Ā 

This will "kill" the time until the city awakes and stores open.

Ā 

Then move to Schwerin as there is a short-cut on B104 to Schwerin.

Ā 

After Schwerin I would decide if you still have time I would go to Wismar but if you are tired or busy to return you can easily skip Wismar or you keep it shorter and go alongside the coast and countryside back to WarnemĆ¼nde:

Ā 

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/wismar-to-warnemunde-germany-scenic.html

Ā 

Regards

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,

Ā 

I checked out your link. Love the windmills- are they on the coastal route? My map shows an unmarked road off the 105 at Neubukow, up toward Kuhlungsborn, back down to Bad Doberan and then a road from Bad Doberan to Warnemunde. Is that the route on your blog? Can we reach the pier via this route and avoid traveling thru Rostock on our return?

Ā 

I found the 104 between Lubeck & Schwerin on my map. The map is a few years old and shows the A20 under construction, but I hope it is complete by now. It would be a zip to travel that to Lubeck.

Ā 

For some reason, I have my heart set on seeing Schwerin so I hesitate going to Lubeck first for fear that wouldn't leave enough time or energy to devote to the Castle & Gardens + maybe a boat ride on the Schwerin See.

Ā 

What are your thoughts?

Heinbloed,

Ā 

I checked out your link. Love the windmills- are they on the coastal route? My map shows an unmarked road off the 105 at Neubukow, up toward Kuhlungsborn, back down to Bad Doberan and then a road from Bad Doberan to Warnemunde. Is that the route on your blog? Can we reach the pier via this route and avoid traveling thru Rostock on our return?

Ā 

I found the 104 between Lubeck & Schwerin on my map. The map is a few years old and shows the A20 under construction, but I hope it is complete by now. It would be a zip to travel that to Lubeck.

Ā 

For some reason, I have my heart set on seeing Schwerin so I hesitate going to Lubeck first for fear that wouldn't leave enough time or energy to devote to the Castle & Gardens + maybe a boat ride on the Schwerin See.

Ā 

What are your thoughts?

Ā 

Now since I know your preferences I maybe have a better idea...

Ā 

A20 is completed all the way to LĆ¼beck...

Ā 

arnemuendeCarRentalNachtrag110-vi.jpg

Ā 

It's off B 105 partly to see the scenic part. If you see my signature or see my blog you find my e-mail-address. Send me an e-mail and I return the part of the map you need.

Ā 

If you are a castle and garden fan may I suggest something else:

Ā 

Go to GĆ¼strow first:

Ā 

2010Guestrow04-vi.jpg

Ā 

Do not worry - you will not loose too much time. It's well connected on A19 southbound.

Ā 

From here you can visit GĆ¼strow:

Ā 

My blog has not been completed but the pictures are already in.

Ā 

I opened it for you:

Ā 

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/05/gustrow-germany.html

Ā 

Just for your impression.

Ā 

Then I would go to Schwerin - you will have more than enough time to enjoy the castle, the garden and the lake.

Ā 

Subject time left go on the scenic tour as decribed.

Ā 

I am sure you'll have a great day.

Ā 

Although LĆ¼beck is worth to see but under the circumstances that you like castle and lakes and would like to have the highlight in Schwerin, I would skip LĆ¼beck for another time.

Ā 

When you are on the scenic road it ends up just at the city limit towards WarnemĆ¼nde.

Ā 

So you really do not need to drive through Rostock.

Ā 

See my blogs for impressions from Wismar, Schwerin and LĆ¼beck.

Ā 

http://www.heinbloed-on-tour.de

Ā 

Have a good time in Germany

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

HeinBloed - We have our car already booked from Hertz when we arrive in a few weeks time. We had thought originally we would head to Lubeck, then Schwerin, then Wismar and back to Rostock if there was time. Then I saw your posting about GĆ¼strow and it interests me as well.

Ā 

I would presume with only 12 hours in which to tour - taking advantage of all 4 places would probably be overly ambitious. Would we be better off going to Schwerin, Wismar, then head over to GĆ¼strow and the castle? or should we just forget GĆ¼strow and stick to the original plan? I appreciate your suggestions and thank you in advance.

HeinBloed - We have our car already booked from Hertz when we arrive in a few weeks time. We had thought originally we would head to Lubeck, then Schwerin, then Wismar and back to Rostock if there was time. Then I saw your posting about GĆ¼strow and it interests me as well.

Ā 

I would presume with only 12 hours in which to tour - taking advantage of all 4 places would probably be overly ambitious. Would we be better off going to Schwerin, Wismar, then head over to GĆ¼strow and the castle? or should we just forget GĆ¼strow and stick to the original plan? I appreciate your suggestions and thank you in advance.

Ā 

3 of 4 is possible.

Ā 

Best would be if your ship does not call Kiel additionally:

Ā 

LĆ¼beck (long) - Schwerin (long) - Wismar or GĆ¼strow (short)

Ā 

another nice option would be

Ā 

LĆ¼beck (long) - Schwerin (long) - Wismar (short) - Scenic Road back to WarnemĆ¼nde if it is not too late and dark.

Ā 

All 4 would be too much but if you like it:

Ā 

GĆ¼strow (short) - Schwerin (long) - LĆ¼beck (long) - Wismar (short)

Ā 

that would be one logic line without big lost of time due to zick-zack or detours.

Ā 

LĆ¼beck and Schwerin are for my taste contrary to see a little former West and a former East.

Ā 

Wismar is a little bit like other cities you might see during your Baltic cruise.

Ā 

GĆ¼strow is just something to fill up - let me say it this way: I would not come first time to Germany to see GĆ¼strow but if some time left and it's no major detour I would add this as an additional stop.

Ā 

Regards

HeinBloed

3 of 4 is possible.

Ā 

Best would be if your ship does not call Kiel additionally:

Ā 

LĆ¼beck (long) - Schwerin (long) - Wismar or GĆ¼strow (short)

Ā 

another nice option would be

Ā 

LĆ¼beck (long) - Schwerin (long) - Wismar (short) - Scenic Road back to WarnemĆ¼nde if it is not too late and dark.

Ā 

All 4 would be too much but if you like it:

Ā 

GĆ¼strow (short) - Schwerin (long) - LĆ¼beck (long) - Wismar (short)

Ā 

that would be one logic line without big lost of time due to zick-zack or detours.

Ā 

LĆ¼beck and Schwerin are for my taste contrary to see a little former West and a former East.

Ā 

Wismar is a little bit like other cities you might see during your Baltic cruise.

Ā 

GĆ¼strow is just something to fill up - let me say it this way: I would not come first time to Germany to see GĆ¼strow but if some time left and it's no major detour I would add this as an additional stop.

Ā 

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you so much HeinBloed - no unfortunately we do not get to stop in Kiel - Warnemunde is our only port in Germany. The chances of my getting back to Germany in the future is pretty slim. That is why I thought going to see the smaller towns and seeing the countryside would be a much nicer experience than racing into Berlin for just a few sights.

Ā 

Seeing the pictures of Gustrow made me wonder if I was missing out on something tremendous but apparently not. From what I can determine from google map - the mileage between Warnemunde - Lubeck - Schwerin and Wismar is not that significant so I thought it would be fairly simple. Am I wrong? Thanks so much for the assistance.

Thank you so much HeinBloed - no unfortunately we do not get to stop in Kiel - Warnemunde is our only port in Germany. The chances of my getting back to Germany in the future is pretty slim. That is why I thought going to see the smaller towns and seeing the countryside would be a much nicer experience than racing into Berlin for just a few sights.

Ā 

Seeing the pictures of Gustrow made me wonder if I was missing out on something tremendous but apparently not. From what I can determine from google map - the mileage between Warnemunde - Lubeck - Schwerin and Wismar is not that significant so I thought it would be fairly simple. Am I wrong? Thanks so much for the assistance.

Ā 

So I would start with LĆ¼beck:

Ā 

1. farest point - so if you finished you are safer to get back as the next destinations are already WarnemĆ¼nde-bound.

Ā 

2. kill time until all sights opens in LĆ¼beck by taking the longest way.

Ā 

Next would be Schwerin. B 104 is a short-cut from A 20.

Ā 

You will not regret too much skipping Wismar if you spend more time in LĆ¼beck and Schwerin and it became late.

Ā 

B 103 - A 20 to LĆ¼beck

A 20 - B 104 to Schwerin

A 14 to Wismar

if you have less time A 20 - B 103 back to WarnemĆ¼nde

if you have more time get back on scenic route to WarnemĆ¼nde to enjoy the countryside

Ā 

Regards

HeinBloed

• 6 years later...

Ā 

We just came back from the Baltic and we opted not to go to Berlin but the cruise ship offered Lubeck and Wismar and we really enjoyed this outing. You drive about an hour or more to the town of Lubeck and do a walking tour. We had a nice group lunch at the Marzipan Restaurant and then went to Wismar. Two small Hanseatic towns with wonderful history and we were very pleased we did this. The ship also offered walking tour of Rostock that many people had very positive comments about. I hope this helps.

We just came back from the Baltic and we opted not to go to Berlin but the cruise ship offered Lubeck and Wismar and we really enjoyed this outing. You drive about an hour or more to the town of Lubeck and do a walking tour. We had a nice group lunch at the Marzipan Restaurant and then went to Wismar. Two small Hanseatic towns with wonderful history and we were very pleased we did this. The ship also offered walking tour of Rostock that many people had very positive comments about. I hope this helps.

Ā 

You might want to post this on a new thread. This is thread is 7 years old and a lot of folks will stop reading as soon as they notice that.

Ā 

Our ship docks in Warnemunde for the day. I'm torn between the included walking tour of Rostock, Scherwin Castle or Lubeck and Wismar! How do I decide? Which place should I not miss??

I would go to LĆ¼beck, it is bigger and there is more to see than in Wismar.

Ā 

My opinion from an American that has been living in Rostock for 3 years. :). I have been to both cities, and stayed in LĆ¼beck for a few days.

Ā 

Choosing between Lubeck and Rostock? ? Which one?

The question is:

Ā 

driving long or not.

Ā 

Have a look here:

Ā 

http://heinbloed-ncl.blogspot.ch/2014/08/norwegian-star-in-warnemunde-germany.html

Ā 

Rostock is an included tour with the ship. Lubeck and Wismar is a paid excursion I would take by bus. I've never seen any of these 3 places and will not be back. Which place is the "must see"?

Rostock is an included tour with the ship. Lubeck and Wismar is a paid excursion I would take by bus. I've never seen any of these 3 places and will not be back. Which place is the "must see"?

Ā 

LĆ¼beck and Wismar are UNESCO World Heritage but not around the corner. If you are willing to accept to sit a while in a coach and enjoy the scenery I would go there.

Ā 

My personal ranking:

Ā 

1. LĆ¼beck

2. Schwerin

3. Wismar

4. Rostock

Ā 

Regards

HeinBloed

LĆ¼beck and Wismar are UNESCO World Heritage but not around the corner. If you are willing to accept to sit a while in a coach and enjoy the scenery I would go there.

Ā 

My personal ranking:

Ā 

1. LĆ¼beck

2. Schwerin

3. Wismar

4. Rostock

Ā 

Regards

HeinBloed

Ā 

Thank you! I would love to see Lubeck and Schwerin but am not able to get there on my own!