P&O shuttle bisses??

bazzaw

I am in a "question asking" mood this morning :p

I have seen elsewhere some references to shuttle busses being provide by P&O in some ports. Knowledge of these prior to booking shore tours before departure would be very handy - as it would possibly determine decisions about which tours to book and where.

On the cruises that I have done with P&O AUS, sometimes shuttles have been provided - but we never seem to know about them until onboard - and their provision seems "spasmodic"

Any thoughts please re different ports all around the world?

Barry

They are usually provided where the dock is some distance from the town centre. Usually they are complementary but there is sometimes a charge if they are provided by port authority. If you said which ports, we could be more specific

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for that - prob is that we are doing 2 half legs of Oriana and Arcadia world cruises - so lots of ports. Many are in places that we would not dream of getting around by ourselves - eg Ho Chi Minh City, Mumbai, Manila

Some I am more confident about doing so would be Athens(Piraeus), Lisbon(which I understand does usually have a shuttle) , Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Azores, Barbados, Aruba, Acapulco, Honolulu, and Pago Pago)

Thanks for any further help

Barry

Mumbai-no, you are very close to the Gateway of India.

Athens-no. Walk to the metro of about 20 minutes.

Lisbon-yes.Drop off near the trolley tours.

Singapore-yes, but the drop off point was not that central to everything

Hong Kong-no. Berthed right by the Star Ferry.

Bangkok-no. At least a one and a half hour transfer from Laem Chebang port which is charged as a Bangkok on your own excursion.

Azores-yes. Stay on board!!!

Acapulco-no. Easy to get a taxi to where you want to go.

Honolulu-no. Berth is very central.

Pago Pago-no. It's a very small island.Ship berths right there.

Mumbai-no, you are very close to the Gateway of India.

Athens-no. Walk to the metro of about 20 minutes.

Lisbon-yes.Drop off near the trolley tours.

Singapore-yes, but the drop off point was not that central to everything

Hong Kong-no. Berthed right by the Star Ferry.

Bangkok-no. At least a one and a half hour transfer from Laem Chebang port which is charged as a Bangkok on your own excursion.

Azores-yes. Stay on board!!!

Acapulco-no. Easy to get a taxi to where you want to go.

Honolulu-no. Berth is very central.

Pago Pago-no. It's a very small island.Ship berths right there.

why people should stay in board in the Azores ?

Azores.

The first time we took a tour to nowhere spectacular and then wandered around the capital.

The second time we went ashore and had another look around. Tried our best to find something of interest.

The third time we went ashore just to walk on land after a transatlantic crossing.

It just doesn't float our boat.

Please, if any of you have found something fantastic to do, do post. Sure as our luck goes we will inevitably call there again at some point.

bazzaw

My replies were just in response to the query on shuttle buses. Was in a bit of a hurry when I posted, hence the brevity.

If you want to know any more about the ports of call that you mentioned, please ask away. I shall look up my cruise journals and try to help.

PS We also have done Barbados.

Hi Merlin7

Thanks for the offer.

Yes - we will also be visiting Barbados and Aruba. Haven't done much research on them yet and really know little about the Caribbean. I did read a positive review of a tour to the "Crater lakes" in the Azores. Just being in the middle of the Atlantic in the middle of the Northern Hemisphere winter will be an experience for us (being familiar only with the Pacific) :)

In regards to Mumbai, I note that you said that the ship berth is close to the Gateway to India. Elsewhere, I have read it recommended that people do not try to attempt that seemingly reasonable walk - because of traffic primarily. What are your thoughts re that.

I have noted that in some ports (where there is basically nothing in the immediate vicinity of the ship) , a shortish 3-4 hour shore tour gets us back to the ship too early before departure. Mumbai appears to be like this (although at this time the official shore tours have not been promulgated) .

Barry

Archived