OMG I just received my Voyages to Antiquity brochure!

mlk58

And I am drooling all over the pages! We are booked up for this year and next, but I am totally keeping my fingers crossed that (a) this new line makes a go of it and will still be operating in 2012 and (b) the prices won't go up and out of reach by then.

I am particularly taken with the Cairo to Amman land/sea itinerary. Drool...

And I am drooling all over the pages! We are booked up for this year and next, but I am totally keeping my fingers crossed that (a) this new line makes a go of it and will still be operating in 2012 and (b) the prices won't go up and out of reach by then.

I am particularly taken with the Cairo to Amman land/sea itinerary. Drool...

Haven't read it yet, but I hope it includes at least two days in Petra. Nothing less will do IMHO.

New to this cruise ship but it looks terrific, and yes it does have two whole days in Petra so they know what they are doing. Loved the look of the Syria to Athens cruise.

Please, can anyone tell me more about the cabins and is airfare included -- hard to tell from just their website. And what have shore excursions been like. I see one of the same professors that was on our recent MV Discovery trip.

Looks a lot like MV Discovery but with a bit more upgraded food and cabins. Perhaps? Love to learn more.

Since this is their first cruise season, I guess part of these attractively priced packages is knowing you get to be the test case for this ship out of drydock. There have been some sad tales about what can go wrong after drydock when one would think just the opposite is true - that all would be in ship shape. But for 15 days one does think, one can put up with a lot going wrong.

Particularly when some of us started our cruising back when the bathrooms were down the hall and we stacked up in bunks four to the room. If the ship got you there, anything else was an unexpected bonus like A/C or decent food or not too far a leap from the ship to the shore.

You can take it without air and it's an air credit of $800-1000 per person depending on what cruise it is so if you have frequent flier miles or whatever you can go that way too. Some of the sailings don't even have the $199 air add on.

I'm booked on the Pompeii is so wonderful trip for June 1 so you check out our roll call section for what's been going on. I fly out of Toronto and there was no extra airfare. I'm travelling solo so my free upgrade got me out of the lowest single cabin to the upgraded M class, I'm in 525 on the Belvedere deck.

It's very early days yet to judge how good they are and of course they have made several adjustments because of the chaos in Athens.

I'm planning on taking the trip that stops in Libya next year.. CDNs don't have the visa issues that the US travellers... at least not yet.

I am booked on the Egypt to Athens itinerary by way of Syria and Lebanon. It will be a dream for me to visit these ports that are not included on mainstream cruises.

I wanted to jump on the opportunity to cruise with them this year because if they are successful, I do not see rates remaining this reasonable (especially the "no solo supplement" for the 2011 season). Being on the last cruise of this season, I'd think they'd have most of the kinks worked out....

That's my concern, too, Cynthia. My husband's 60th birthday is October '11, and although we are already booked for a Caribbean cruise that week, I am waiting and watching for Voyages to Antiquity to come out with their 2011 itineraries because I may well decide to jump on it, on the theory their second year will be cheaper than the third year.

Just sent in our request for reservation on the Egypt to Athens one too. Fingers crossed it has not been sold out yet. Fantastic itinerary. And I thought we had been there, done that in Europe/Med. Nope, this is a terrific new take on (ahem) an old area. Time to start doing all the background reading.

Particularly when some of us started our cruising back when the bathrooms were down the hall and we stacked up in bunks four to the room. If the ship got you there, anything else was an unexpected bonus like A/C or decent food or not too far a leap from the ship to the shore.

Very good point! My first cruises were on ships that were around 20,000-25,000 tonnage; we were a family of four in an inside cabin. We had to dress in shifts. :D Back in those days there were no stabilizers either. I remember the waiters putting up the edges on all the table so the crockery wouldn't smash.

I'm sure VTA will be very civilized.

Tee, hee, "dress in shifts". That sounds like good female travel clothes advice. Looking at the lowest entry level window room price right now for our Egypt-Athens dream trip.

Speaking of women and third world bathroom arrangements, I found a "skirt" that becomes pants becomes shorts that was designed by a global traveler who was faced with the pants/shorts/skirt dilemma.

It is called a Makabi skirt (website photos look dorkier than it does in real life) quick-dry, light-weight nylon with nice deep pockets with mini-pockets inside of pockets, and one zipper security pocket. Plus loops for attaching items. Not cheap, but if planned to be a primary versatile wardrobe item, then it takes the place of several other items. Comes in long or medium length and in nice adaptable colors.

Tee, hee, "dress in shifts". That sounds like good female travel clothes advice. Looking at the lowest entry level window room price right now for our Egypt-Athens dream trip.

Speaking of women and third world bathroom arrangements, I found a "skirt" that becomes pants becomes shorts that was designed by a global traveler who was faced with the pants/shorts/skirt dilemma.

It is called a Makabi skirt (website photos look dorkier than it does in real life) quick-dry, light-weight nylon with nice deep pockets with mini-pockets inside of pockets, and one zipper security pocket. Plus loops for attaching items. Not cheap, but if planned to be a primary versatile wardrobe item, then it takes the place of several other items. Comes in long or medium length and in nice adaptable colors.

Wow, that skirt looks perfect for riding a camel and then visiting a mosque. Or third-world bathroom dilemmas. Or what have you. :D I have two pairs of capris made out of what I think is a similar material and they served me really well on our Egypt trip. Wash one pair, wear the other -- lightweight, dries in a few hours, and no wrinkles. I really wish I could buy more of them.

Well you will be happy - there is availability. And from what my friend has reported on the maiden voyage - they are more than civilized. LOL She has loved everything except the Athens strike and air problems and the ways the civil unrest has affected the cruise but has not had problems with the cruise line and ship.

They took our info and we are in touch with their FLA office, in the same buildings as Voyages of Discovery so it feels like family. Almost feel it is a done deal for Cairo to Athens via the Suez Canal and Syria. Yes! What a lucky thread this turned out to be.

No reports here, but pictures of her in Piraeus today:

Crys1-2.jpg

Crys2-2.jpg

Crys3-2.jpg

The ship behind Aegean Odyssey, with red funnel, is that golden oldie, The Oceanic, sailing as The Peace Boat. They apparently should have written Peace Boat in Arabic, because she fought off pirates on her way to the Med.

Oceanic1.jpg

EM

• 4 weeks later...

Awful ship.

Awful organisation.

Inadequate aircon.

Awful food.

Awful wine.

Excursions poorly managed and rushed.

Rude senior staff.

Just back from two weeks of this 70s converted car ferry which covered

us in soot and reaked of sewage for many days.

Archived