Cruises & Athens

Having recently read a news article regarding the disruption of passengers from an un-named cruise ship at the Port of Piraeus, I am left to wonder what the future holds for the cruise ship industry with regards to Greece. I have attempted to find a link to the mentioned article , but with no success as yet.

there is lots of discussion on this over on the ports/europe/greece board. Including in the discussion a link that tells which ship was held in port a couple weeks ago. It was not a HAL ship. I am sure everything will be fine for cruising there...after all it makes up a large chunk of Greece's economy (or whats left of their economy).

Happy crusin'!:D

The consensus seems to be that there is little disruption in Athens unless your ship calls on a day when there is a scheduled general strike.

One of these general strikes is planned for May 20. Yesterday, Princess announced that the Ruby Princess, scheduled to port in Piraeus on May 20, will now skip Athens altogether on this cruise.

Here is a link to the announcement on the Princess website:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1102

I'm sure other lines are monitoring the situation and will take action if needed. The Ruby Princess was just in Athens this past week and someone doing a "Live From" thread said there was no disruption at all.

As stated above the recent strikes affected only one ship the "Ventura" all other ships are arriving - departing without any problems.

On May 20th there is a General Strike that will close all Archeological sites & museums, that is why Princess has changed the itinerary for the "Ruby." If Athens is closed passengers are better off at sea or another port but not because of any foreseen danger to passengers.

Archived