Hot Sun: Sun Block/Suntan Lotion

Another question from a newbie cruiser...we are cruising the eastern Caribbean starting Jun 6th. No one in our family (3 adults) spendsm much time outside here in the Chicago area...so, my questions are these:

What is the best sun block to use and what is the best suntan lotion for mom to use who wants to get a little tan? Don't want anything too smelly

or sticky. :(

I bought this Nutrogena sunblock that was SPF 100. I burn very easily as I am about as white as rice! ..lol

It worked amazingly well but the parts I DID miss, I was burned quite bad. My suggestion is a high sunblock and even if it's waterproof, reapply very frequently. I have the oddest tan lines ever and it's not very attractive, nor were the burns and blisters :(

Cooperton is one of the best/ most common brands. It does smell but that good sunblock smell. Aveno also has good products.

You should use 45 plus since you aren't in the sun too much. You will still get a little tan from that. Remember to reapply often.

High SPF number, apply frequently, limit sun time per day.

A little per day is better than frying in one.

Little known facts, you can get tan/burned even sitting in some shade due to UV rays and reflections off the water. This can happen under say a light/white awning that is not coated with a UV block or a vinyl undercoating. The more light the shade lets through, the more likely you can still get exposure.

I use Aveeno Continuous Protection Sunblcok Lotion SPF 55. It is dermotologist recommended and it is oil-free and non-greasy waterproof. I live in Chicago too and it helps! You may want to get an higher SPF protection though.

Little known facts, you can get tan/burned even sitting in some shade due to UV rays and reflections off the water. This can happen under say a light/white awning that is not coated with a UV block or a vinyl undercoating. The more light the shade lets through, the more likely you can still get exposure.

This is very accurate. I was in Cozumel at Nachi Cocom this past April. I did not apply sunscreen because I was under a papas and it was cloudy but I got really burnt. I am still peeling on my legs from it and this was almost 3 weeks ago!

My very fair skinned Irish husband has had great success with the Coppertone continuous spray. It's best to apply it indoors. (no wind to send it in the wrong direction) He uses the SPF 30 and is very careful about how much sun time he actually gets. When we're in the Caribbean, the first few days he's in the shade except when actually swimming or exposed to the sun while touring or shopping. He does tan beautifully, but it's a slow process. If he tries to rush it, he burns so he's learned to take it slow & easy.

My very fair skinned Irish husband has had great success with the Coppertone continuous spray. It's best to apply it indoors. (no wind to send it in the wrong direction) He uses the SPF 30 and is very careful about how much sun time he actually gets. When we're in the Caribbean, the first few days he's in the shade except when actually swimming or exposed to the sun while touring or shopping. He does tan beautifully, but it's a slow process. If he tries to rush it, he burns so he's learned to take it slow & easy.

I agree about putting it on inside. It's definitely courteous to put the spray on stuff inside, that way it doesn't get all over everyone's stuff that is sitting right next to you outside.

Excellent advice. The only thing I will add is it is a waste of money to buy anything over spf 45. Spf refers to time of protection, not level. The time greatly diminishes after 45 to a point it's not even worth it, and is negated by sweat. If a higher spf is the same price, fine. But if it's more expensive, it's not worth it.

Excellent advice. The only thing I will add is it is a waste of money to buy anything over spf 45. Spf refers to time of protection, not level. The time greatly diminishes after 45 to a point it's not even worth it, and is negated by sweat. If a higher spf is the same price, fine. But if it's more expensive, it's not worth it.

I did not know that. Thanks

Agreed. Anything over 30-45 or even 55 is total hype.

and no matter the number, baste often

Agree with the others. After SPF 30, it really won't make a difference. Make sure it is full spectrum and protects against UVA and UVB rays and reapply every hour to hour and a half and after you are in the pool or hot tub. If possible apply at least 15 minutes before sun exposure.

Incidentally, there are sunscreens with self tanning properties so you can get the sun protection and safely accelerate tanning at the same time.

I am a fair skinned redhead. I have used Coppertone Sunsport for years. I live in Florida, and have used it in Hawaii and the Caribbean. It has always worked great.

Be sure to apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going into the sun, and reapply. That's where I always get in trouble...not reapplying. I find that if we are at the beach and I sit or stand in knee deep water the sand in the waves works as an exfoliant, scrubbing off what I have applied.

I live in Michigan, so the sun is rarely out, and when it is, it does not even come close to the power of the Caribbean sun! Don't get anything less than SPF 35, and make sure to apply every 2-3 hours, especially if you are in the water or sweating. Even with this you will get a nice tan! I would also recommend buying it BEFORE you head down, as it is expensive on the ship and in the shops.

Enjoy your cruising.

Rashguards are also really good to use in the Caribbean. I'm practically albino. I can't even tan in a tanning salon! So we all wear them. (We water ski in summer.) My mom had melanoma. We don't take any chances.

Amazon has examples:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=194643011

I got our latest ones at Lands End last summer before our Valor cruise.

Robin

IMG_0437.JPG

I bought this Nutrogena sunblock that was SPF 100. I burn very easily as I am about as white as rice! ..lol

It worked amazingly well but the parts I DID miss, I was burned quite bad. My suggestion is a high sunblock and even if it's waterproof, reapply very frequently. I have the oddest tan lines ever and it's not very attractive, nor were the burns and blisters :(

Thanks for the advice. :p

Agree with the others. After SPF 30, it really won't make a difference. Make sure it is full spectrum and protects against UVA and UVB rays and reapply every hour to hour and a half and after you are in the pool or hot tub. If possible apply at least 15 minutes before sun exposure.

Incidentally, there are sunscreens with self tanning properties so you can get the sun protection and safely accelerate tanning at the same time.

Thanks for the good advice, Debmarie. I wrote down the details for when I go shopping for this soon.;)

I live in Michigan, so the sun is rarely out, and when it is, it does not even come close to the power of the Caribbean sun! Don't get anything less than SPF 35, and make sure to apply every 2-3 hours, especially if you are in the water or sweating. Even with this you will get a nice tan! I would also recommend buying it BEFORE you head down, as it is expensive on the ship and in the shops.

Enjoy your cruising.

Thanks, Bronco fan. I'll make sure to do this.

Ok, I have some great sunscreen advice...now on to hats...I have tried on straw/canvas, visor hats, etc. here...and they all seem so big and dumb looking on my head. I am wondering if they might be hot too...will my sunglasses be enough protection without a hat? :cool:

Ok, I have some great sunscreen advice...now on to hats...I have tried on straw/canvas, visor hats, etc. here...and they all seem so big and dumb looking on my head. I am wondering if they might be hot too...will my sunglasses be enough protection without a hat? :cool:

No, you really should have a hat too. You can get a nasty sunburn on your scalp if you part your hair and the brim helps to protect the top of your ears and neck where many melanomas start.

Try hats with different brim widths and different shaped crowns till you find one that is flattering. Some brims have a small upturn at the outer edge which also affects how it will look on someone. Avoid baseball caps if you can as they don't provide protection of the ears and neck. If possible, try on hats in front of a full length mirror as sometimes a hat that looks 'big and dumb looking on your head' is actually in proportion to your body, shoulder width and height. (And sometimes it just becomes more obvious that it really is 'big and dumb looking' and that you have to keep looking. ;))

We used 50 spf on our last Caribbean cruise and my kids came back with no tan whatsoever. I wore no sunblock for an hour each day just to get some sun, then put it on. This time I bought 30 spf.

I don't wear hats but sometimes I bring a visor to the beach to keep the sun off my face. If I was bald I would bring a hat though.

From the UK.... we have little need for sunscreen here so when I'm abroad I use Riemann P20. It's not cheap but the protection it gives is fantastic. It goes on easy and has really good lasting properties. You HAVE to apply it BEFORE going outside.

Hey everyone,

Some more advice about sunscreen. The SPF is not just the time that it takes to burn, it also factors in the amount of UV radiation that it would take to burn your skin with the sunscreen on. So while higher SPF's don't always give much better protection, for some of us it does. I burn with anything 30 or below using the proper application etc. I currently use SPF 60 and I'm good to go.

Remember that you also want something that blocks both UVA (doesn't cause redness but causes damage) and UVB (causes the redness) otherwise you might be blocking the 'burn' but not the skin damage, for this I would recommend a sunscreen with Parsol 1789 in it.

As much as we all love a good looking tan, a tan really is just skin damage. I've seen the aftermath of skin cancer in my dermatology rotation, so please be careful!

Archived