Ship Tour vs. Behind the Scenes

Meredisney

Ive seen several threads about a "Behind the Scenes" type of tour that is offered for $90, but when browsing some of the posted Funtimes/Capers I saw that there is a "Get to know your ship" tour on embarkation day.

Are these two different tours? Is the "Get to know your ship" Tour FREE? Has anyone ever done it, and if so was it worth it verses exploring the ship on our own? Oh, and how long is it?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!:)

They are different tours. The ship tour on the first day that's listed in the schedule is a tour of public areas to help you get your bearings - figure out where the dining areas are, lounges, etc. I'm not sure of the length, but it can't be too long since it's completed before the muster drill (last year on Miracle, the tour was at 2:30 and drill was scheduled for 3:30). The "Behind the Fun" tour takes you to non-public areas, including crew areas, the engine control room, and the bridge and it's about 3 1/2 hours long.

On my first cruise (going on my 2nd in two weeks!), I did that "ship tour" on the first day that was in the capers. Basically all they did was show us where the Lido Deck and the dining room were, and they took us through the spa/gym. The girl (it was a member of the entertainment staff doing the tour) also told us about a few events that would be on the ship that week.

The whole thing lasted maybe like 20 minutes. I guess it's good to figure out where that stuff is on the ship but it's nothing like Behind the Fun (and I'll admit that when I went to it I thought it would be more like that...)

...browsing some of the posted Funtimes/Capers I saw that there is a "Get to know your ship" tour on embarkation day.

Is the "Get to know your ship" Tour FREE? Has anyone ever done it, and if so was it worth it verses exploring the ship on our own? Oh, and how long is it?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!:)

I thought this would be a good idea to do this tour when i was on the Paradise last year. I think over 200 people showed up and there was only 1 person giving the tour. Unless you were close to her, you couldn't hear her. I and a bunch of other people left after 5 minutes.

I think it might be better to discover the ship on your own.

We were just on the Imagination and did the "Behind the Fun" tour. It was offered on the last sea day and cost $55 dollars per person. I thought it was worth every penny. The maximum number of people for the tour is 16, there were 7 on ours. They took us to the engine control room, the galley, crew dining area, laundry room, loading area, crew pool and lounge area, and the bridge. That was really cool and we even got to take a picture with the captain! It is a long tour about 2 1/2 hours, but I highly recommend it.

Thanks everyone. We have done many cruises but never on the Dream. I figured the tour might be a good idea just because I've read a few posts about how large the ship is, but if you are saying the tour is just the Lido Deck, dining room, spa/gym then I think we may be better of exploring on our own. Thanks for the info!:D

I just got home from the Legend today, and we also did the "behind the scenes Tour" it lasted 3 1/2 hours had alot of fun. It was cool seeing the washing machines that held 100 pounds of linens. Machines which folded towels etc. The tour is Limited to 16 people and cost $95. per person.

We were given 3 8x10 photos, carnival hat, carnival back pack, choc covered strawberries, carnival plastic arm band, and a carved bird made from a bar of ivory soap.

However if you are planning on taking the tour make sure you take with you a pair of closed toe shoes which are required. I didn't have any so while in Cayman Island I purchased some inexpensive water shoes for $12. Also note....No cameras are allowed while on the tour :(

I have been on the tour with Triumph and Fantasy....$45 if I rememeber right. We LOVED it...hal;f was seeing some of the stuff that no one else sees...but the part we liked the most was talking with and able to ask question to many of the directors of operation types. i.e. engineer, environmental oficer, head chef, service's officer, and many others...the fact that only 14 people wash, dry, fold, treat ALL the linens on the ship!...we loved it and would do again in a heartbeat. Well worth the small fee. :)

I did the "Behind the Fun" tour last month on the Fantasy, currently $55. Best money that I have spent on board. They had two tour groups of 15 each. It will give you a whole new perspective on what it takes to keep us all pampered and feeling special. It takes a lot of very dedicated staff and crew to keep the ship afloat, keep the food and booze flowing and the shows staged. I would recommend the tour to anyone.

Did the tour on the Liberty in October and it was super. I'm seeing prices here in the $50s and in the $90s. I think the difference is on the shorter cruises the tour is shorter and cheaper, on the 7+ day the tour is longer and therefore more expensive. Definitely worth the time and money if you're a cruise geek like me.

Archived