How much sunscreen?

crzgrl66

I brought at least three bottles of 30+ SPF for my husband, son and myself for a Caribbean cruise.

I also brought shirts from Lands' End called something like Rash Guard. They are impregnated with sun block. They are very comfortable to wear in the water and dry quickly. I got A LOT of compliments on them and "I wish I had them." I burn very easily and I worry about my son as well. On that cruise, two people had to go the ship's doctor for sunburn.

I love my Lands End rash guards as well. You can get rash guards at most stores that sell swim suits now, too. My kids burn easily and I won't let them out between 11 and 3 at home without them. I'll be even more strict on the cruise.

I brought at least three bottles of 30+ SPF for my husband, son and myself for a Caribbean cruise.

I also brought shirts from Lands' End called something like Rash Guard. They are impregnated with sun block. They are very comfortable to wear in the water and dry quickly. I got A LOT of compliments on them and "I wish I had them." I burn very easily and I worry about my son as well. On that cruise, two people had to go the ship's doctor for sunburn.

Definitely bring it with you. It's much more expensive to buy it there. We usually bring 3 bottles: 1 with 50 spf for DH (very light and sensitive skin), 1 with spf 30 (enough for me as I tan easily), and 1 spray bottle with spf 50 for the kids. That's usually enough.

I take multiple bottles. I usually take a small bottle of SPF 50 when we are in Honduras. The sun there is wicked!! We usually get by just fine w/ SPF 30 on the other islands. (We are blond and fair). I also take SPF 15 or SPF 8 with us just in case DH wants to use it.

How much do you bring with you? Is it better to bring with you or buy when you get there? 3 kids, 2 adults, 7 days, I'm the only one that tans, the rest of my bunch burn easily.

I'd bring one bottle for the adults and two for the kids.

Depending on where you are going though, you might find sunscreen on the souvenir/snack shops for just a bit more than in the US.

Don't forget the spray type -- I'm ultrafair and use the spray on my scalp (in addition to a hat).

The SPF rated clothing is great but remember to apply sunscreen before putting them on in the areas that they do not cover so you don't get "gaps" in your coverage (I sound like an insurance salesman!)

Don't forget the spray type -- I'm ultrafair and use the spray on my scalp (in addition to a hat).

The SPF rated clothing is great but remember to apply sunscreen before putting them on in the areas that they do not cover so you don't get "gaps" in your coverage (I sound like an insurance salesman!)

Definitely bring at least 2-3 bottles. Also, i would recommend bringing at minimum SPF 30. The sun intensity is so much stronger than up north. We live in South Florida and use SPF 50 on the kids and even then they still get tanned within an hour at the pool.

I bring one bottle per person. My family is very fair and I am nuts about keeping my daughter from burning. We use spf of 50 or more. I've not had good luck with the spray on stuff as I always seem to miss some areas. We stick with the old fashion cream and we use A LOT. DD has made it 3 summers and 3 cruises with no sunburn....knock wood.

I bring one bottle per person. My family is very fair and I am nuts about keeping my daughter from burning. We use spf of 50 or more. I've not had good luck with the spray on stuff as I always seem to miss some areas. We stick with the old fashion cream and we use A LOT. DD has made it 3 summers and 3 cruises with no sunburn....knock wood.

Just to clarify, the "spray stuff" is in addition to the regular stuff - mainly for my scalp, hats just aren't always practical.

I usually don't consider myself much of a "tree hugger", LOL and I don't want to be a Debbie Downer :o. But with all this talk about gallons of sunscreen being used (and rightfully so) I just wondered if anyone had seen/read about this:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080129-sunscreen-coral.html.

Obviously going without sunscreen isn't an option, and the bio-safe ones are a bit pricey, but just something you may want to consider.

to get the most out of your sun screen put in on in your room, and hour before you go in the sun that gives you the best base then when your out for a while you can put more on. I am a Pharmacy tech and the worst thing to do is put the sun screen on while in the sun most sun screens now a days are not topically but Chemically so they get down into your skin. good luck

LandsEnd have a sale now. $14.50.

So do you put sunscreen all over the kids body and then put on the rash guard shirt? that acts as double protection? then do you have to reapply the body sunscreen? Thanks.

Archived