Meet and Mingle

Quick question. My wife and I have been on several cruises, and I have used Cruise Critic for all of them. That being said, we have never been to one of the Meet and Mingles. We are on the Liberty this summer, and were curious what everyone’s opinions are on these. Are they a good time?

Quick question. My wife and I have been on several cruises, and I have used Cruise Critic for all of them. That being said, we have never been to one of the Meet and Mingles. We are on the Liberty this summer, and were curious what everyone’s opinions are on these. Are they a good time?

It is nice to meet folks with whom you chat on here. Other than that, not overly exciting.

Informal meetings are better over an organized Meet & Mingle in my opinion...I've done both...the organized one was just a "grab and dash" as far as I was concerned (they (participants) only wanted the little token doorprizes) and wouldn't talk or even acknowledge you later in the cruise....the informal...was great....

we have been to some that have been great fun and others where no one would talk to each other. Alot depends on how much activity has happened on the boards here. The best ones have occurred when there is an active group and when a cabin crawl has been organized. Safe travels

Im looking forward to the meet and great for the Boo cruise. I also think we are a pretty active group so far. Ive never been in any other group so I am not sure. I admit I tend to make things lively in groups I join lol. Ive asked lots of questions and got a question going. I do hope to meet several people from the list. I cant imagine for myself ONLY not looking at or not talking to people at the meet and great. I will talk to anyone who wants to talk as I am a friendly person :).

Adri

Last year on the Freedom we organized a gift exchange. Bring something from your home town or state. Under $25, then we had a slot pull, Everyone put up $20, we won like $65 each person. It was fun and everyone talked and had a graeat time.

Last year on the Freedom we organized a gift exchange. Bring something from your home town or state. Under $25, then we had a slot pull, Everyone put up $20, we won like $65 each person. It was fun and everyone talked and had a graeat time.

Oh can I borrow the idea of the gift exchange for the Boo cruise? I think that is a fabulous idea :)

Adri

We've done it before but were not terribly excited with it. We enjoyed meeting some of the people we talked to on here, but even though our group was pretty large, most stuck to themselves. We signed up for a second time on another cruise and decided it wasn't our thing. It was an active group and they had planned so many things throughout the cruise on different days, we just wanted to stick w/ourselves and play it by ear and not commit. In most cases we've made some of the best friends at the hotels the night before the cruise...Have a great time.

How good it turns out to be will usually depend on how active a roll call thread you have and how much the people on the thread want to meet the others who they have been corresponding with for months prior to the cruise. We frequently have included a gift exchange as part of the official meet and mingle and it has worked out very well. Most of the roll calls we have been involved with have been quite busy with a very large number of posters. Quieter ones where there has barely been enough people to qualify for an official Meet and Mingle are frequently less successful.:)

DW and I usually travel with other couples so we didn't feel a need to meet others through a roll call. However, a couple of years ago, I decided to participate in our roll call to see what other people were doing for shore excursions. It was a very active roll call and we all got to know each other fairly well before we ever met in person. Several of us decided to meet in the bar at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami where several of the people were staying pre cruise. We had dinner with another couple at Bayside Marketplace. By the time we met up at the pool bar for sail away, many of us knew each other by name. The Meet & Mingle itself was really uneventful because most of us had already met and had been doing things together.

Even though we were on this cruise with other couples (friends of ours), we still did things with the people we met through our roll call and we still stay in contact with some of them today.

They seem to vary based on several factors. The one I had on Freedom was excellent and added greatly to our enjoyment of the cruise. I'm told that the itinerary I am taking next May is port intensive and the M&M is usually 5pm on a port day, so they are lightly attended. I think you can guage how they will be by the roll call group.

we have been to some that have been great fun and others where no one would talk to each other. Alot depends on how much activity has happened on the boards here. The best ones have occurred when there is an active group and when a cabin crawl has been organized. Safe travels

New to cruising - I think I can figure out what meet and mingle is but what is cabin crawl.

New to cruising - I think I can figure out what meet and mingle is but what is cabin crawl.

A Cabin Crawl is an organized tour of the different categories of cabins. It is organized via the roll call, usually several months before sailing. The organizer will ask for volunteers to "show" their cabin, and the folks from the roll call group who are interested then tour the different cabins. We've participated in the past and it's a lot of fun. We've seen almost every category of cabin from the interiors to a royal family suite.....and just about everything in between. We are "showing" our PR cabin on our upcoming TA cruise next year....:)

A cabin crawl is an organized event where people open their cabins for viewing by others,usually others on their roll call and it permits people to see different categories of staterooms that they would otherwise not have access to.:) It is similar to a bar crawl where participants visit a number of different bars either on the ship or in a port. A bar crawl usually involves having a drink in each bar visited. A cabin crawl does not necessarily involve consuming any alcohol.;)

We have been to Meet and Mingles where there was two basic groups.....Our thread friends and then everyone else. If you were chatty for a year, you'll meet and make friends forever. The others were just "there." Plus we always organize our own sailaway party for our message board group.

We have a VERY active roll call going for our 6/3 cruise on the Enchantment. Some are getting together for dinner the night before the cruise in Norfolk, we're meeting at the pool bar the first day, and then of course the meet-n-mingle. We're planning on doing a gift exchange at the m-n-m, too. Many of us are also going on private excursions of the islands together. Really looking forward to meeting this great group of people! :)

Archived