Carry On Searched in San Diego

Sprocket

I am used to the airlines looking in my carry on bag, as I sometimes forget to take out my Epi Pen. But when we boarded last week in San Diego it was the first time Hal wanted to look.

I did have 2 bottles of wine in there, one fairly large one:eek: and one more normal sized. The fellow on the scanner said he could tell that one was wine but wasn't sure what the other one was. Next time I will just use a wine bag or something similar, and carry it through.

So for those who think it will get through, or that they don't really pay attention, they were that day.

If the security person couldn't tell what was in your carryon, I'm glad they opened it up and searched. You had nothing to hide so no worry on your part, huh?

On the other hand, TSA at the airport simply cracks me up at how subjective they can be. I typically go through security 2 or 3 times for each flight (it's a long story...) and my carryon can be waved through with no problem once then searched with a fine toothed comb the next time. I actually find it kind of like a fun game to see what will happen during each pass. Why didn't the first agent see the "suspicious" stuff the second person did, or visa versa?

No worries if you have nothing to hide, just go with the flow. :)

If the security person couldn't tell what was in your carryon, I'm glad they opened it up and searched. You had nothing to hide so no worry on your part, huh?

On the other hand, TSA at the airport simply cracks me up at how subjective they can be. I typically go through security 2 or 3 times for each flight (it's a long story...) and my carryon can be waved through with no problem once then searched with a fine toothed comb the next time. I actually find it kind of like a fun game to see what will happen during each pass. Why didn't the first agent see the "suspicious" stuff the second person did, or visa versa?

No worries if you have nothing to hide, just go with the flow. :)

Like DDD said if you've got nothing to hide, what's there to worry about?:)

When I went through the SD terminal about 3 weeks ago, and one of the security guards shook my 3/4 full water bottle, and surprise it was water. It turns out that water bubbles and adult beverage bubbles are different.

We cruise often from San Diego and always take a 12 pack of Diet Coke. We are almost always are asked to step over to a side table to open it - it's just a quick glance to make sure it's not beer.

We were surprised a few weeks ago that we weren't asked to open it on a RCCL cruise -- since they have such a restrictive alcohol policy

I was stopped boarding the Disney Magic in Port Canaveral. Someone thought they saw a "butter knife" in my bags. I have no idea why. It was established that I had no butter knife and I was permitted to board the ship which presumably was full of butter knives, anyway. Go figure.

I was stopped boarding the Disney Magic in Port Canaveral. Someone thought they saw a "butter knife" in my bags. I have no idea why. It was established that I had no butter knife and I was permitted to board the ship which presumably was full of butter knives, anyway. Go figure.

Perhaps they confused a butter knife with a cheese knife. All of us know that on a cruise, "cutting the cheese" in public areas is a no-no!

This reminds me of the Irish woman who went back to the old sod for a visit. She came back and tried to smuggle a bottle through customs. The customs opened the suitcase and said "Lady what is in this bottle?" "Holy water" she replied. He opened it, smelled it and took a swig and said: "Lady, this is whiskey!" She responded: "O the saints be praised, it is another miracle."

Wine is permissible to carry on. We have done that several times on different ships. Most cruise lines don't like your carry-on to be beer or hard liquor. If they asked to inspect your bag due to a poor picture resolution on the scanner, the better for you that they care enough to check. We just cannot let them have the paying passengers undercut their markup on booze!

Recently we were surprised at San Diego when we disembarked ship. There were no Customs asking to see our Passports. One lady (I suppose from Customs) hurriedly collected the Declaration cards without even looking to see if it was filled out? Every time before when we disembark Customs are as interested in the Declaration card as they are our Passports.

This reminds me of the Irish woman who went back to the old sod for a visit. She came back and tried to smuggle a bottle through customs. The customs opened the suitcase and said "Lady what is in this bottle?" "Holy water" she replied. He opened it, smelled it and took a swig and said: "Lady, this is whiskey!" She responded: "O the saints be praised, it is another miracle."

Thanks for the good joke, Himself!:D

Maybe it's another San Diego thing - (we are pretty laid back here) We've never done anything but hand our declaration form to customs. We always have our passports ready, but we've never showed them on the way out.

Archived