Queen Mary 2 to dock in Manhattan not Red Hook

qm2

My travel agent just informed me that the QM2 will be docked in Midtown, Manhattan on Friday May 21st, not Red Hook, Brooklyn. There was some kind of accident in Red Hook with another ship, so I guess the terminal is not available at this time.

If I find anything else out I will post it here.

Hopefully not at the old "Titanic" dock(which is still there!!

My pleasure.

By the way, does anybody know how long before QM2 is able to dock in Brooklyn again? When she's in NY, traffic in that area of the West Side Highway barely moves as every car slows to catch a glimpse of the queen. The first time I saw her years ago was when she was docked in Manhattan. The sight was so impressive that all I could do was gasp and say 'holy cow' (or words to that effect) :)

Salacia

My travel agent just heard from Cunard--and I quote: "So far......June sailings not affected as work is progressing fixing the problem."

Too bad that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal won't stay out of commission for the rest of the year so that when I board the QM2 next November 1st the QM2 would be docked at Manhattan's West Side Piers instead of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.I can drive from my house in Northern New Jersey to the Manhattan West Side Piers in about 40 minutes if there is no traffic.To drive from my house to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal add about another 30-40 minutes of travel time. Regards,Jerry

Jerry, how does parking at the West Side Terminal compare with parking in the Red Hook Terminal? -S.

Would be nice if QM2 could come into the westside piers in August after my westbound crossing. I could be home in less than 30 minutes. I am sure she won't still be docking there then, so maybe I will try to go see her on Friday. Those on board will have a great trip up or down the hudson :):).

Denise

Yes, supposedly the Caribbean Princess was docked or docking during a recent wind storm with 40+ mph winds; one gust of wind hit the Caribbean Princess causing her to list hard to Port putting pressure on the gangway and damaging it.

Carnival has had numerous issues with ship getting caught in the wind and damaging gangways.

Carnival has had numerous issues with ship getting caught in the wind and damaging gangways.

I think this may have more to do with the fact that Carnival Corp has more ships out there to get caught by wind gusts. It's statistics IMHO.;)

Denise

I think this may have more to do with the fact that Carnival Corp has more ships out there to get caught by wind gusts. It's statistics IMHO.;)

Denise

Plus they just ain't building gangways & docks like they used to :D

I have always missed the Hudson sailaway..now that the terminals are rebuilt maby she will stay?!! probally not as its an emergency and the piers along the West side do not looked like they have extended and that was the issue with the Coast Guard

Hi Jonathan,

You lucky dog. After going to Redhook many times to see the QM2 while in port and it's now your turn to have her on the west side.

Enjoy her while she is there. But hope Redhook is repaired in the future.

I also hope QM2 returns soon to Brooklyn's safe harbor. -S.

My travel agent just heard from Cunard--and I quote: "So far......June sailings not affected as work is progressing fixing the problem."

Anyone able to slow down the repairs until after the 8 August TA leaves?

Jerry, how does parking at the West Side Terminal compare with parking in the Red Hook Terminal? -S.

Salacia, I know that the parking rates at the Red Hook Terminal are about $20 a day.I am sorry but I can't remember the parking rates at the West Side Terminal.The parking conditions at both terminals I say would rate about the same.The only difference is that the parking at the West Side Terminals is located on top of the piers and the parking at the Red Hook Terminals is a very large parking lot. Regards,Jerry

While I miss the classic Manhattan sailaway, I do like the vastly superior parking facility at Red Hook.

Parking at the Manhattan terminal is always dicey. It can often be full from prior sailings of other ships.

And that outrageous 12th Avenue traffic!

I planned to drive and park at Red Hook for my July 1 sailing. If Queen Mary is still sailing out of Manhattan, I will take a car service instead.

Fortunately, I can get to either terminal in less than 45 minutes from my home which is about 15 miles away.

Should be exciting to see the Queen sailaway from Manhattan Friday. I am attending a luncheon onboard and now will stay to see her sail.

Hi Gang

I am sailing on 7/6. Cunard is telling my travel agent that at this point Cunard is assuming the ship will sail fom Manhatten but there is nothing offcial at this point. I hoping its Manhatten because the sailaway is vastly superior to Brooklyn. Yes, I am very aware of the traffic/hassles of Manhatten. Thanks.

Deck Chair

Salacia, I know that the parking rates at the Red Hook Terminal are about $20 a day.I am sorry but I can't remember the parking rates at the West Side Terminal.The parking conditions at both terminals I say would rate about the same.The only difference is that the parking at the West Side Terminals is located on top of the piers and the parking at the Red Hook Terminals is a very large parking lot. Regards,Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I've never had a problem finding a parking spot in the Brooklyn Terminal, but I understand the lots in the West Side Terminal can be filled to capacity and then you would need to go to the additional lots on 59th St.

I found the parking rates for the West Side Terminal. If interested, see

http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html

Cheers,

Salacia

What is the scheduled departure time this Friday?

5pm departure this Friday.

I sure hope that the July 1 sailing on which I am booked reverts to Red Hook as Norwegian Epic makes its maiden arrival that same day in Manhattan.

It will be chaos!

While I miss the classic Manhattan sailaway, I do like the vastly superior parking facility at Red Hook.

Parking at the Manhattan terminal is always dicey. It can often be full from prior sailings of other ships.

And that outrageous 12th Avenue traffic!

I planned to drive and park at Red Hook for my July 1 sailing. If Queen Mary is still sailing out of Manhattan, I will take a car service instead.

Fortunately, I can get to either terminal in less than 45 minutes from my home which is about 15 miles away.

Should be exciting to see the Queen sailaway from Manhattan Friday. I am attending a luncheon onboard and now will stay to see her sail.

Bobby,

Those passengers who haven't received notification because they are travelling will show up at the dock in Brooklyn this Friday and find.....no ship! :eek:

I have to believe Cunard will be providing shuttle service to and from Red Hook to the West Side until the docking problem is resolved. That would save them (and you) from needing to take car service to Manhattan.:)

Have a great time Friday!

Cheers,

Salacia

My sister took QM2 to New York in 2004 and the ship docked in Manhattan. She said it was an inspiring trip up the river but that it took forever to unload the baggage.

My sister took QM2 to New York in 2004 and the ship docked in Manhattan. She said it was an inspiring trip up the river but that it took forever to unload the baggage.

That was in 2004--things have improved since then... ;)

What is the scheduled departure time this Friday?

We are scheduled to leave at 5pm. I would guess a few passengers will go to Brooklyn not knowing QM2 is leaving from New York and there will be a delay.

A delay of an hour or two will not, in the cosmic scheme of things, be a problem. The eastbound TA usually takes six days, and we have seven. Remember we are traveling on one of the fastest ships afloat. The Commodore can step up the pace over night one night and make up any delay easily if required.

Mike.

A delay of an hour or two will not, in the cosmic scheme of things, be a problem. The eastbound TA usually takes six days, and we have seven. Remember we are traveling on one of the fastest ships afloat. The Commodore can step up the pace over night one night and make up any delay easily if required.

Mike.

Mike, have you heard anything about how long repairs at Red Hook are likely to take?

J

Archived