Weather on VAL-BA 12/3-12/19

newlondon

Would those of you who cruised SA around the dates above please give some insight as to what the weather may be like. The Weather Channel website gives average temperatures which don't seem too bad; but, from reading some of the posts, they may be optimistic. DW hates being cold so we need to plan appropriately.

The trouble is the weather in the sourthern parts of South America are so variable, not so bad towards to start and end of your trip.

AS you can't guarentee the weather I would suggest that you use the Layer Approach to clothing.

It will likely be in the 80's in Buenos Aires and Valparaiso. Could be warmer.

It will get much cooler as you go South. It can also feel much cooler with the wind chill.

I take a scarf hat, gloves, water proof type pants, sweater, jacket (for me a north face jacket), and a fleece. You may need all or some of this stuff and the key is to layer. But if you want to get out and about and see for example the penguins, etc. you need to be prepared. Even if you pay a little more in added lugggage costs, be prepared so you can maximize your enjoyment of the cruise.

Keith

A gore-tex type outer shell that will keep the wind and rain at bay with layers underneath works quite well. Keeps things light for luggage but gives the best protection when the weather gets bad. Consider earmuffs like 180's. Silk long underware also a benefit, very light but helpful.

During the early December time frame, it will be colder and the waters rougher than in the January/early March time frame. The OP is traveling in the spring to summer time frame so weather will be variable. It will be considerably colder in Punta Arenas/Ushuaia that early in the year-may even snow. And the wind will be particularly ferocious making it feel much colder. As everyone has posted, MAKE SURE you have a hat, gloves and a decent jacket that will keep out the wind.

During the early December time frame, it will be colder and the waters rougher than in the January/early March time frame. The OP is traveling in the spring to summer time frame so weather will be variable. It will be considerably colder in Punta Arenas/Ushuaia that early in the year-may even snow. And the wind will be particularly ferocious making it feel much colder. As everyone has posted, MAKE SURE you have a hat, gloves and a decent jacket that will keep out the wind.

I agree 100%. As I mentioned earlier better to take more than less. Like you we know from experience how cold it can be on those very windy days.

Keith

Thank you all for your responses. The thought of snow in our June is a bit daunting. I may not show DW this thread. We live in NH so we're used to strange weather, but that's a bit over the top. The Weather Channel web site says the average temp is in the mid 50s. Sounds like that may be optimistic.

What everyone I think is trying to do is advise you to plan for the worst, none of us on here want you to come down the southern tip of south america and not enjoy it because you don't have the right clothing.

I have done nature treks here in the falklands in Nov/Dec time where the temp has been in the high 50F to the Low 60s but they have been lower than 50F as well. On thoose occassions my "tour guide clothing" is as follows

Light weight t-shirt

Light weight shirt

Jumper/sweater

Fleece

Light weight water proof/wind jacket

Jeans

Waterproof trousers

Hat and Glooves (probably the most important)

A daysack (important to keep all the clothes I shed)

It has to be said most of the time I'm shedding layers, as we are walking but I need to stop and chat and to wait for people to catch up at various points as well. Because I'm using layers alot of thoose things could be worn at various other times on a cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

newlondon,

I have just read this thread. My friends and I are going on the Infinity 12/3-12/19 from FLL to Valparaiso.Is this the cruise you are refering to?

You said your cruise was from Val to Ba so possibly it is a different cruise with the same dates.

Anyway, I am concerned about the weather after reading the posts.

If anyone knows about the weather from FLL to Val during that time frame I would appreciate the information. We thought it would be summer weather. so maybe not? Any info would be appreciated.

We sail from Valpo to Santos Feb. 1 to Feb 14. So, we should be a bit warmer than the above poster? And maybe bring less cold weather gear?

Thanks.

Rick and Deirdra

Not particularly. It is generally very windy in far South America. The temperature is the high 40's to the high 50's in the daytime. The wind makes it feel much colder. Don't forget-you are less than 600 miles from Antarctica at some points.

In Feburary 2002, it snowed on Celebrity Mercury the day we cruised Cape Horn. The water was also extremely rough that trip. Lots of sick people on board. My friend's hair froze when she got out of the hot tub.

It will be warm for about 150 miles south of Valpo, get continually cooler the further south you go, then start to warm up when you head north along the Argentinian coast. It will be hot in Buenos Aires and Rio.

Actually, Sue in Florida, we're on Silver Whisper-leaving Valpo on 12/3. Considering some of the posts it certainly appears as if luck will play a large part in determining the weather. We're going to follow jasonflk's advice and plan as if we're entering winter even though it will be almost summer.

Archived