Well Kept Secrete about Tips

ilm28411

First if my spelling erros offended you enough to mention I apologize.

Now onto the subject as some of us can stay on subject. What you refer to as "bragging" is wrong I simply stated we remove tips and we again will continue to do so. I was not bragging I was telling my story of how prefer to tip. It is the same reason I leave a tip on the table at restaurants or hand it to our servers so they can see that we appreciatte it.

I am very aware of how much I tip and I can guarantee it is more than the amount we removed.

As for the Buffet staff well to be honest I was not aware that they were tipped. So perhaps I will advise Guest services next time to leave that share on it.

At no point did I say We do not eat in the MDR I said if we dont. No one would tip the MDR waiters if they did not eat there. Except for you of course being the great perosn that you are.

In closing I would like to say If you dont agree with something there is a right way and a wrong way to say so. 90% of what is written on here is opinion and the way different people perfer to cruise not one way is right nor is it wrong. If a person chooses to tip or not, does not make them a good or bad person it is simply there way. If you dont like it you certainly have a right to say so but you could at least be polite in saying it. Instead of going petty and pointing out spelling errors, I guess you did that becuase you are aware that I am right and you had nothing else to say so I forgive you, and thanks for agreeing with me.

That being said... Stay well

wcr

I can read. This from the OP's post,

"your bill ($70.00 pp) is 95% of their income they earn. Carnival only supplements this by only 5%. Meaning that our tips for the wait staff pay for 95% of their salary."

Now he MAY have meant that it is APPROXIMATELY 95% but that's NOT what he said. I simply pointed out that there is no % calculation, I did not claim the salary wasn't low.

I verified this information with Carnival Cruise Lines management department via my PVP and indeed Carnival only pays them "about" 5% of their salary since they are in a service job. I hope this clears everything up. Thanks

It is true that each individual has the right to tip or not tip as they see fit. But I believe (opinion) that a lot of the posters feel that those that remove the pre paid tips sometimes (not all) don't really tip or don't tip all that help them throughout their cruise. It is really interesting to me (opinion again) to see those that say they like to see the appreciation on the faces of the people when they give them the tips, sounds like some (again not all) do that for their own personal validation or to make them feel good/better. Don't you think they would still appreciate the tip if it is given to them through payroll. I think they are all working for money (probably) so they don't care how they get the tips. Again just an opinion not neccessarily a fact.

Carnival Cruise lines will not tell you this but I found out this weekend from a crew member who used to work for carnival as a waiter that the tips that are subtracted from your bill ($70.00 pp) is 95% of their income they earn. Carnival only supplements this by only 5%. Meaning that our tips for the wait staff pay for 95% of their salary. So tipping is very important and giving a little extra at the end if you can offord it will help them out. If I had only knew this a long time ago. I can't belive carnival pays them very little for the hard work they do.

I think the tips we pay are enough IMO.

I just don't get the idea that someone needs to PERSONALLY hand the money to someone to show that they appreciate the service.

Just as I prefer service to be as invisible and unobtrusive as possible, I prefer to NOT make a big deal about giving a tip!

IMHO, people are NOT doing it to show their appreciation. They're doing it for some sort of personal gratification. I don't WANT someone to stand there and be expected to thank me profusely for giving the tip that they earned.

Sure seems like some kind of sad power trip to me.

I leave the auto tips. If I want to tip my cabin steward extra, I leave it in the cabin with a note. I don't wait in the hall for him to show up so I can hand it to him and expect him to express his gratitude.

If I want to leave an extra tip for a drink, I add it to the S&S bill. I don't see any need to hand it to the server. Same as in the dining room.

I want them to know I'm grateful for their service, not that they should be grateful that I'm giving them what they've earned!

No one would tip the MDR waiters if they did not eat there. Except for you of course being the great perosn that you are.

Nope, there are two of us. The waiters are there for me whether I show or not, they are dependent upon tips they expect to receive, so I would not consider removing them.

I just don't get the idea that someone needs to PERSONALLY hand the money to someone to show that they appreciate the service.

Just as I prefer service to be as invisible and unobtrusive as possible, I prefer to NOT make a big deal about giving a tip!

IMHO, people are NOT doing it to show their appreciation. They're doing it for some sort of personal gratification. I don't WANT someone to stand there and be expected to thank me profusely for giving the tip that they earned.

I leave the auto tips. If I want to tip my cabin steward extra, I leave it in the cabin with a note. I don't wait in the hall for him to show up so I can hand it to him and expect him to express his gratitude.

If I want to leave an extra tip for a drink, I add it to the S&S bill. I don't see any need to hand it to the server. Same as in the dining room.

I want them to know I'm grateful for their service, not that they should be grateful that I'm giving them what they've earned!

What he/she said.:)

Ditto!

P.S. Don't pick on nunu!

Do you then tip the buffet workers the withheld amount?

A big difference on a cruise is that your seat and your waiters ARE in the MDR awaiting your arrival. No one else is going to sit in your chair or be served by your waiters. Unlike a land restaurant, they cannot 'make it up' on the next diners sat in that seat, as there are no next diners sat in your place.

I consider the buffet to be a dining room also, and no, I don't tip the same for buffet service as I do for full service, on board or not, as I said: tips are adjusted accordingly.

I often do not eat two meals on board at all, many times eating lunch and supper ashore, why would I tip ashore and on the ship?:confused:

A big difference also is the decreased workload the service staff have if I'm not eating in their restaurant that day, hence, the decreased compensation for decreased work. That's the way the service world works, you work, you get paid, you don't work, you don't get paid.:cool:

I consider the buffet to be a dining room also, and no, I don't tip the same for buffet service as I do for full service, on board or not, as I said: tips are adjusted accordingly.

I often do not eat two meals on board at all, many times eating lunch and supper ashore, why would I tip ashore and on the ship?:confused:

A big difference also is the decreased workload the service staff have if I'm not eating in their restaurant that day, hence, the decreased compensation for decreased work. That's the way the service world works, you work, you get paid, you don't work, you don't get paid.:cool:

Actually if you aren't in the MDR and others can handle you waiters jobs, they are sent to the buffet. And they routinely work the buffet for lunch and breakfast. So they ARE serving your needs no matter where you eat, unless you're brown bagging it.

Actually if you aren't in the MDR and others can handle you waiters jobs, they are sent to the buffet. And they routinely work the buffet for lunch and breakfast. So they ARE serving your needs no matter where you eat, unless you're brown bagging it.

I suggest you reread my post, carefully.

I didn't say I did not tip in the buffet, I said I adjust my tips accordingly.

IF I EAT ON THE SHIP, AND WHERE, determines how much, if any, I tip.

I tip if I eat, If I don't eat, I don't tip.

I tip less for Buffet.

Less service equals less tip.

No service equals no tip.

Not everyone eats 100% of their meals aboard ship, especially in Europe, no need to brown bag.

Simple, fair rules even a caveman can understand:)

I just wish CCL would charge the auto tips as a mandatory surcharge for every passenger-like a fuel surcharge.

Why??? What would that do besides removing all incentive to provide above average service:confused:

I suggest you reread my post, carefully.

I didn't say I did not tip in the buffet, I said I adjust my tips accordingly.

IF I EAT ON THE SHIP, AND WHERE, determines how much, if any, I tip.

I tip if I eat, If I don't eat, I don't tip.

I tip less for Buffet.

Less service equals less tip.

No service equals no tip.

Not everyone eats 100% of their meals aboard ship, especially in Europe, no need to brown bag.

Simple, fair rules even a caveman can understand:)

Do you really think about this tipping issue this much when you are on a cruise? I leave the $10/day thing as it is. The crew does a great job and deserves their tips. But honestly I have better things to do on my vacation than sit around with a calculator and figure out who gets what % or my tips for the day. The only time I ever think about it is when I am sitting around reading CC.:)

I have also read.. If you remove your tips and then give cash, that money is pooled and divided. They don't get it all. That is not $$ in addition to the tips but only money received in leiu of the them being charged to the S&S.

That's how it is done on Princess, but not on Carnival.

The room stewards get no salary whatsoever----exist just on tips. I went to the Behind the Fun Tour and believe me it was an eye-opener!:eek:

So they do not get paid? Really? Of course of the $10 per person per day that I am charged....several dollars of that goes to the steward. So even if I don't give him extra..he is getting paid thru my auto tips.

We travel as a family of 5 or 6 in 2 cabins so if you add up even $2 per day per per person...that is $14 per cruise per person times 5 equals $70......for 2 cabins for approx...3 hours worth of his time....maybe 4 hours. If you think about it, it is a fare amount for a cleaning person...even with the embark/disembark work.

I know my cleaning lady used to stay 2 hours and I paid her $70....of course when she started with me, she used to stay 3 hours......but the day she left in less than 2 hours was the countdown to her being fired. Best move I ever made!!!

Back to the topic at hand....regardless of what we would like to think...they are quick workers and will not spend extra time in your cabin unless there is an issue...so let's be logical and see that the amount that the stewards get from the auto tips per person is not as terrible as CCer's like to make it out to be. The room steward will not and should not expect to be making what we consider a living wage in our hometowns. We live differently and have different expenses than they do...it is just the way it is.......

We need to stop feeling so guilty about being able to go on vacations. Europeans have been doing it for centuries...without any guilt...even during economic downturns.......vacations are important...guilt...not so much.

Do you really think about this tipping issue this much when you are on a cruise? I leave the $10/day thing as it is. The crew does a great job and deserves their tips. But honestly I have better things to do on my vacation than sit around with a calculator and figure out who gets what % or my tips for the day. The only time I ever think about it is when I am sitting around reading CC.:)

Nope, don't really give it too much thought while cruising either.

I never said the crew didn't work hard or deserve their tips, so I hope no one interpreted my posts that way.

What I agree with you on is the deserving of a tip, if they earn it they deserve it.

If they don't earn it, they don't deserve it, simple as that!

:D

I like, that your account is charged the "auto tip". It is convenient, and I would never begrudge any individual that measly amount, even if they only "just did their job" or even didnt do a very good one.

When I have dining room waiters, bar staff, room attendant and even a Maitre'D who give just that little extra attention or service, I will tip them extra, and usually about 10.00 to each. I have noticed how much they appreciate this. On my last cruise. I gave my dining room head waiter 10.00 and the assistant waiter 10.00. The assistant waiter was soooo happy, he hugged and yes, even kissed me ( on the cheek, both sides ). And I am old enough to be his Mama!!!!! Just saying, they really do appreciate the extra, even if it is just 5 or 10 bucks. :)

I like, that your account is charged the "auto tip". It is convenient, and I would never begrudge any individual that measly amount, even if they only "just did their job" or even didnt do a very good one.

When I have dining room waiters, bar staff, room attendant and even a Maitre'D who give just that little extra attention or service, I will tip them extra, and usually about 10.00 to each. I have noticed how much they appreciate this. On my last cruise. I gave my dining room head waiter 10.00 and the assistant waiter 10.00. The assistant waiter was soooo happy, he hugged and yes, even kissed me ( on the cheek, both sides ). And I am old enough to be his Mama!!!!! Just saying, they really do appreciate the extra, even if it is just 5 or 10 bucks. :)

It is a good reminder to all here that if you plan on giving extra to the head waiter and the room steward...that they also have assistants....we usually give the Head people $20 and the assistants $10...that's it....and of course keep the auto tips in place.

We discussed this tipping and salary subject on our cruises last week. Waitress on the Lido deck, who also explained she works other bars, said Carnival pays them $8 per month, yes per month that is, and everything else is tips, which is approx $5000 for a six month contract. She and her husband both worked as bartenders on the ship, and have three children who stay at home with both sets of grandparents. She explained $10,000 between them both for six months, in the phillipines, puts them in what she called " like us' able to vacation etc.

So work 6 months, get 6 months off and live a comfortable middle class life working only half the year? Sign me up!!

No one would tip the MDR waiters if they did not eat there. Except for you of course being the great perosn that you are.

Nope, there are two of us. The waiters are there for me whether I show or not, they are dependent upon tips they expect to receive, so I would not consider removing them.

And...the number is growing ;). We consider the auto-tips and other gratuities part of our vacation expenses. I agree that if I request an assigned seating in the MDR, then staff are assigned to a table expecting us. They have to be there whether I show up or not, and as it has been stated, they cannot give my seat to another guest. If we choose alternative dining, they still deserve to be paid. Honestly, if we eat at a local casual dining restaurant, our gratuity for one meal will exceed the amount for an entire day on a cruise ship.

I have never thought to remove tips and the time and effort it would take form my day would not be worth $5.50. All of this is, of course, what works for me.

So work 6 months, get 6 months off and live a comfortable middle class life working only half the year? Sign me up!!

They actually usually work a 6-8 month contract and vacation for 2 months before their next contract. They don't get one single day off during their contract, at best they may get 2 afternoons a week (between the end of breakfast and being prepared to serve dinner). As we all know, breakfast is served quite early and the last seating for dinner is usually over around 10:00 pm. The dining room has to be ready for breakfast before they leave. This means that on that 1 or 2 afteroons, they have to wash their laundry and do any shopping needed for personal items. I don't feel sorry for them, but I do have compassion and a genuine appreciation for that smile I am greeted with continuously.

They actually usually work a 6-8 month contract and vacation for 2 months before their next contract. They don't get one single day off during their contract, at best they may get 2 afternoons a week (between the end of breakfast and being prepared to serve dinner). As we all know, breakfast is served quite early and the last seating for dinner is usually over around 10:00 pm. The dining room has to be ready for breakfast before they leave. This means that on that 1 or 2 afteroons, they have to wash their laundry and do any shopping needed for personal items. I don't feel sorry for them, but I do have compassion and a genuine appreciation for that smile I am greeted with continuously.

I agree they work very hard and deserve their time off. I worked 80hr, 7 day weeks for a couple of years, still work well over 60hrs. I'd love 2 straight months off! But then again, economies of scale, it's all relative.

Archived