Uncomfortable with the idea of Sanctuary!

redozdachs

If the Sanctuary was only available to those that sail in a full suite, I might have a problem with it. But as it is, it's available to those in suites and insides alike, therefore, it does not discriminate! As mama always said, "money can't buy class"!!

Class is an extention of ones character, the interaction with and treatment of others, the ability to have an open mind when judging values, and a moral conviction toward right and wrong.

Although I do agree with your lofty definition of class the dictionnary would have it more basic. Class has many definitions including sharing an economic status, so yes, you can buy class, especially when it comes to transportation (ships, trains, planes) where class is strictly an economic division and all you need to do is buy the fare. Your behavior and character are another story. To that end I have a friend who is a flight attendant and agrees with me that the folks flying in first class are the biggest slobs. Just take a look at the condition of the first class cabin as you walk through it when deplaning.

Well, Cunard still uses the "class" system onboard their ships. If you can pay more, you get an exclusive dining room and some more amenities... pay for "Queens Grill" and you'll also get a butler...

Yes, they do. In fact, the cabins are grouped in classes by dining room (e.g. Grill Class). But since this is no way has affected the enjoyment of my cruise on QM2 I really don't care. We don't sacrifice anything for the benefit of the Grill Class passengers. However, airlines are another story. The economy class section keeps getting tighter as the airlines try to promote first class, business class and the upper economy class sections. My spinal stenosis erupted into a a major problem for me after an 8 hour flight on Virgina Atlantic in economy.

I also feel a creeping class designation -- after all class designation means that one has to pay more to qualify for that class. Areas that were open to all are being converted to paid areas. Already the Skywalker is designated as Platinum / Elite during certain hours depriving other cruisers of all or part of that space. I am OK with Sabinitinis being made a breakfast place for suites. But on some ships, the deck area around Sabanitis is also cordoned off during breakfast hours. What next? Charge a fee to enter some selected bars, piazza, promenade deck and also to get traditional dining?

I tend to agree with you at least in part. While I have no particular problem with the Sanctuary in concept...to me it is just snob appeal which I can certainly afford but choose not too. However, on the Coral and the Island, at least as I understand it, we who don't want to pay for the Sanctuary have lost the use of the Terrace Pool where I have spent many happy hours pre Sanctuary. Now if my understanding re the Terrace Pool is wrong than I have no problem. If I am correct then we who choose not to pay for the Sanctuary are limited to the use of the Lido Pool and be bombasted with MUTS or the Lotus Pool which is often covered, neither of which I find appealing. Frankly the loss of this amenity is probably enough to have me look for alternative lines for our next Panama Cruise.

I tend to agree with you at least in part. While I have no particular problem with the Sanctuary in concept...to me it is just snob appeal which I can certainly afford but choose not too. However, on the Coral and the Island, at least as I understand it, we who don't want to pay for the Sanctuary have lost the use of the Terrace Pool where I have spent many happy hours pre Sanctuary. Now if my understanding re the Terrace Pool is wrong than I have no problem. If I am correct then we who choose not to pay for the Sanctuary are limited to the use of the Lido Pool and be bombasted with MUTS or the Lotus Pool which is often covered, neither of which I find appealing. Frankly the loss of this amenity is probably enough to have me look for alternative lines for our next Panama Cruise.

There was no Terrace Pool and the tiny circle with water in it back there in my book does not fall in the category of a "Pool". :eek:

It's like $10 that doesn't equate to a whole lot more class than the masses. It's just a place to escape. I like the fact that they charge, you're paying for peace, if they didn't charge it would be just as busy as the other public areas.

I also feel a creeping class designation -- after all class designation means that one has to pay more to qualify for that class. Areas that were open to all are being converted to paid areas. Already the Skywalker is designated as Platinum / Elite during certain hours depriving other cruisers of all or part of that space. I am OK with Sabinitinis being made a breakfast place for suites. But on some ships, the deck area around Sabanitis is also cordoned off during breakfast hours. What next? Charge a fee to enter some selected bars, piazza, promenade deck and also to get traditional dining?

Less than half of Skywalkers was sectioned off for the lounge.

I think a really BIG problem is that the indoor pool on Princess used to be "adults only"...NOW, they let families with screaming and jumping children in. I really have to wonder if it is to force those of us who want shade (melanoma history) to have to pay money to go to the Sanctuary. On our most recent Sapphire cruise we hung out at the Lotus Spa pool...but no cover, only 10 chairs...and had to be sure to be on the "no sun side"...and 10 chairs???? Before Princess decided to let children take over the indoor pool, there was no problem. Now, the only people in the inside pool are those who don't mind screaming running children...we tried it.....used to be our "sanctuary"...but no more. I even tried bringing ear plugs to wear but the screaming and jumping and running overrode the earplugs.

We are Elite on Princess, but this really does not sit well with us. I am not going to spend lots of money to be able to have some shade with no screaming kids.

There was no Terrace Pool and the tiny circle with water in it back there in my book does not fall in the category of a "Pool". :eek:

You are correct, it was not called the Terrace Pool but it was available for all to use during the winter months and for youth to use during the Alaska season....but it is no longer available unless you pay the $10 for a 1/2 day or $20 for a full day. According to my untrained eye it is about the same size as the Terrace Pool on most other ships in the fleet and is still referred to as a "Pool" by Princess.:eek: and the loss of it is a disincentive for me to book these two ships.

I do think that Princess should have put the Sanctuary on the Island/Coral up front near the little splash pool above the Horizon Court as they did on the Sun-class ships... makes a lot more sense than where it is at the stern. I've seen pictures of the Sea Princess' Sanctuary and it's quite large and there's plenty of shade with the new structures they put in place.

As someone who has used the sanctuary I never had to search for a chair or listen to screaming kids. It was just a relaxed, calm environment; which I gladly paid for and hope to have to opportunity to do so again.My wife had skin cancer so she has to keep out of the sun so to find a relaxing shaded area that I know I will have whenever I go to it is worth every penny I paid and the cusions are great so relaxing and the service is wonderful by the second day they new our names and had a glass of water and the towels on our chairs ready for us to relax.

I most definitely disagree with your comment re"snob appeal". We choose to use this service because we prefer to know that we have a lounger when we want it and not have to look all over the Lido deck for chairs and usually without any luck because they all have people's belongings on them, but no one in sight. Due to medical concerns, I am unable to spend a lot of time in the sun, so we always choose loungers that are in the shade. We get to know the stewards and spend time talking with them about their families and home country. We cruise yearly to get away from the stress of work and be able to spend some quiet time together. It is also cheaper to book an inside cabin and pay for Sanctuary than book a balcony cabin. There are different reasons for everyone as to why they purchase Sanctuary, but I truly believes it has nothing to do with being a snob or thinking that they are of a better class of passengers.

Darlene

As someone who has used the sanctuary I never had to search for a chair or listen to screaming kids. It was just a relaxed, calm environment; which I gladly paid for and hope to have to opportunity to do so again.My wife had skin cancer so she has to keep out of the sun so to find a relaxing shaded area that I know I will have whenever I go to it is worth every penny I paid and the cusions are great so relaxing and the service is wonderful by the second day they new our names and had a glass of water and the towels on our chairs ready for us to relax.
When we go swimming onboard in the main pools we seldom have to search long for chairs The outdoor Lido pool is designated for family use, so "screaming kids" are not a problem. We found on Star Princess the covered pool was perfect, lounge chairs were plentiful in shade or sun, and the pool was virtually empty for our use in swimming laps. The bar provided glasses of water, and the towels on the chair were fresh from our room.

I'm glad so many people like Sanctuary as there is more room for us in the areas included in our cruise price.

Snob appeal? You're kidding, right?

Of the 3000 passengers, I usually know my partner and our traveling companion. That's about it. When we've booked the Sanctuary (much like booking a particular cabin, suite, a spa treatment, the Chef's Table, etc.) it's because of the amenities. I couldn't care less what the remainder of the passengers on board think of my booking this indulgence or not booking this indulgence.

[quote name='Putterdude'][SIZE=4]No! Plus on the Island and Coral a nice quiet pool that was previously available for everyone has been taken away from them.[/SIZE][/quote]

I completely understood and sympathize with your position within the second part of your post, which is why I made no comment upon it. It was the "snob appeal" comment with which I had a difficult time understanding. And still do.

I guess I'll have to stop parading through the Piazza on my way to the Sanctuary and shouting, "I'm on my way to the Sancutary and you're not!" ;)

[B][COLOR=magenta]Hmm, it seems like there are a lot of short memories on this thread. When [I]The Sanctuary[/I] was first introduced on the Crown back in 2006, there was no fee to enter. It became such a popular area that fights ensued to get a lounger. There were so many problems that Princess imposed a fee to limit the number of passengers entering the area. Things calmed down after that. Class has nothing to do with this fee.[/COLOR][/B]

My mother uses the Sanctuary as it has loungers that she is able to get in and out of unaided. She is also addicted to the level of service provided by the staff in the Sanctuary who really do pander to her every need. Personally it is too quiet for me but it certainly serves a purpose and meets a need.

[quote name='billet']My mother uses the Sanctuary as it has loungers that she is able to get in and out of unaided. She is also addicted to the level of service provided by the staff in the Sanctuary who really do pander to her every need. Personally it is too quiet for me but it certainly serves a purpose and meets a need.[/quote]

Where ya been?

I was interested to read this thread because we have been on the Island Princess twice before without the "Sanctuary". We were pretty disappointed to learn during our recent cruise on the Island through the Panama Canal that there was no place to sit on the aft decks because they were all taken up with the Sanctuary. So, I agree with PutterDude and RickEk in their comments, especially that those decks and small pool used to be available to everyone, and now they are available only to a limited number of people. Couldn't Princess have left at least one aft deck open to everyone? Also, we are heavy gym users and now you can't easily go from the gym where the equipment is to the other aerobic side where the mats are. For the record, my DH and I were up in the gym at various times each day during the cruise and could see the Sanctuary through the windows; it was empty most of the time -- saw maybe four or five people using it.

I don't have a problem with those who want to use such a space; it's just that the space is to big for the number of people who use it and in the wrong place.

Debbie

[quote name='SingerEsq']. . . I guess I'll have to stop parading through the Piazza on my way to the Sanctuary and shouting, "I'm on my way to the Sanctuary and you're not!" ;)[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]Please do, because otherwise people couldn't hear me parading through the Piazza shouting, "I'm on my way to my mini-suite. With my Platinum card!"[/COLOR][/FONT]

TimesPrince, unfortunately on the Sapphire the indoor pool was completely taken over by children in March. We used to feel as you did, but once Princess decided the indoor pool was "family" as well, the screaming children tend to outnumber the quiet adults.

[quote name='billet']Cruising! On the Coral for 19 days Panama.[/quote]
As long as I have a balcony, I have no need of the Sanctuary, but
personally, I wish there were more class on board. BTW while I'm light years from being wealthy, I certainlly don't begrudge those who are. More power to them

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']On the upper deck on the Coral/Island you still had to cut through the inside even before the Sanctuary was in place.[/quote]

When I was on the Island, we did have to go inside past the Bayou Cafe if using the jogging track.

Archived