Info Needed Regarding Independent Tours in St Petersburg and Visas

We also used SPB tours and had no visa requirements. All you need do is pre-book with a private tour guide and they will send you paperwork to show the authorities. You will only pay for the tour at the end of the 2nd day - hows that for trust. Private tours are smaller so less time queing and more personal. We paid $200 each in July 2011 and it was well worth it - the price comes down if they fill a mini bus of 16 people - just ask the tour companies to book you within a group to get a lower price.

We should clarify the "no visa" comment. If you arrange a tour with the major private tour venders, or thru the ship, you need a visa, but--- the ship or tour vender takes care if it- it is the vender's blanket visa.

If you are totally independent, not touring via ship's excursion or with the major tour venders, YOU are responsible to obtain your own visa.

So, a visa is required of everyone. However, who obtains the visa is the issue.

We should clarify the "no visa" comment. If you arrange a tour with the major private tour venders, or thru the ship, you need a visa, but--- the ship or tour vender takes care if it- it is the vender's blanket visa.

If you are totally independent, not touring via ship's excursion or with the major tour venders, YOU are responsible to obtain your own visa.

So, a visa is required of everyone. However, who obtains the visa is the issue.

you are correct, the point I was making is that YOU don't need to worry about a visa, the agent does it all for you.

Being the trouble maker that I am;), what's the difference between this and a tender? (Yes, I know this is not a tender port) By that I mean, 4* mariners and deluxe veranda suites get priority tendering so why shouldn't they be able to get off the same type as the ship's excursion people in Russia whether they are on private tours or ships' tours:confused: As long as they have the documentation required, it shouldn't be an issue. Just a wild and crazy thought:)

We took SPB tours last May and LOVED them. They will email you for the information that they need from each person on your tour (name, address, passport numbers). They will then issue you a blanket visa that covers everyone in your group. When you get off the ship and go through customs, you will need to present your passport and a copy of the SPB blanket visa to the Customs Official. That's it!

The cruise line may send you emails and even automated voice mail messages making it sound like if you don't take THEIR tours or have a visa that you will not be allowed off the ship. Scare tactics...as long as you have a blanket visa with a licensed tour group, you're golden!

Oh, and you don't have to wait until the ship's excursion groups get off the ship until you can disembark. They may try to hold you up, but they can't legally do it.

Enjoy your time exploring Russia!

Oh...almost forgot, I have a tip for you. If you plan on buying Vodka, check out the duty free shop at the cruise terminal for prices first. We paid too much for ours.

I too wanted to give HAL the benefit of the doubt, but rereading their letter does make it sound as if they would prefer that people not book independent excursions. Specifically, the letter states:

1. Guests not disembarking in St. Petersburg, no Russian visa is required.

2. Guests participating on a Holland America Line-sponsored shore excursion, Holland America Line will provide a blanket visa.

3. Guests sightseeing on their own or going ashore prior to, or after participating in a Holland America Line-sponsored shore excursion, a Russian visa is required and must be obtained prior to sailing.

There is no number 4 for those of us with independent excursions booked (nor does the letter address anywhere independent excursions) and for the uneducated, the letter does make it seem as if we still have to get a visa (ie...it sounds like we fall into #3). All I can say is, thank goodness for Cruise Critic and all you helpful people out there to set the record straight for us!!

Thanks again for all the replies!

Tami

How is this not addressing independent excursions? #3 states that if you are not participating in a HAL excursion or going ashore prior to or after a HAL excursion, a visa is required and must be obtained prior to sailing.

It makes no mention of independent tours that may have blanket visas, but it also doesn't mention calling the Russian Embassy to obtain a personal visa either. It just says you need to make visa arrangements prior to sailing.

For the record, when I went to St. Petersburg, I went on a HAL sponsored tour and enjoyed it, and would do so again. But I also was not sure if I would want to go ashore on my own, so I contacted the Russian Embassy and obtained my own personal visa. And if I were to go back to Russia on a cruise, I would probably do the same thing.

Archived