Noordam World Cup charter cancelled

S'WELL

I found the article a little confusing. I do know the ms Noordam was scheduled to go into drydock in early January 2011, and was chartered after that; the first cruise for the cruising public is 2/6/11....has that all been changed?

You are all quite welcome for the link. Took even me a couple minutes to find it so...

The way I read the article is that whatever the original dry dock work was going to be done to her in 2011 will be done instead in June 2010. I would think that the dock yard and HAL can work together and get it all done at once, and soon... Maybe a cash bonus for doing it now and within a time fram....

Joanie

I am sorry for South Africa because they so much want the World Cup to be a global success and a way of re-introducing themselves to the world at large as their new country. Times are still very troubled in South Africa. Street crime remains real. But they put in such excellent facilities and really did want to turn a proud face to the world and change their "brand". I hope this lack of interest in using the cruise ships does not indicate South African World Cup interest in general is down. I want them to succeed. The work done in Cape Town has been exceptional. Worth a trip even without the World Cup

That's really a shame. We just came back from the Noordam on Friday May 14th. Many of the crew members we met were looking forward to being in South Africa for the World Cup.

I'd love to be in SA for World Cup but I wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship. If you wanted to enjoy the cruise amenities you'd miss out on the WC fun and if you were out and about enjoying WC you'd be paying for cruise stuff that you wouldn't use.

My nephew is in SA for a two year project on a coal fired power project.

Have not heard any problems that they have had.

He is planning on going to the Cup.

It is not problems South Africa has had. It is the fact a German tour company didn't sell enough spots on the ship to make it worth while. However, I am sure HAL has a minimum fee, or promised payment, in order to take their ship out of the Med in the peak summer months. I doubt HAL is losing money here. Not making as much as they could have, but hopefully not losing money.

Archived