Western or Eastern!!??!?

I can't decide! We did Western FOS last April and really enjoyed it but kind of wanted to change things up this time. The Eastern itinerary looks BORING!!!?? Cococay dosen't look that fun to me and there are only two other stops!

Would you do the same trip or take a chance with the other!? Thanks!

We LOVE the Eastern Itineraries...much prettier than the western, IMO! And we love Coco Cay, but then, I'm a "beach' gal....and that's what Coco Cay is...a beach day!

But, if that's not your cup of tea, go west again...you liked it once..it won't disappoint!

We LOVE the Eastern Itineraries...much prettier than the western, IMO! And we love Coco Cay, but then, I'm a "beach' gal....and that's what Coco Cay is...a beach day!

But, if that's not your cup of tea, go west again...you liked it once..it won't disappoint!

Thanks! I am a beach gal too but the family isn't!! Nor do they care for shopping and all I have seen so far is either shopping or beach! Does that sound about right?

I liked both - Western has more active things to do but if you look there are those type things on the Eastern as well.

In St Maarten we booked a 1/2 day tour with Joyce Prince and she took us all over the island - to Maho Beach to watch the planes land/take off, some shopping and to some of the beaches. She customizes her tours to what you want to do. There are also water activities there. One of my favorite tours to date.

In St Thomas there is a lot of shopping but you can take the trams up to the top to Paradise Point - there are some great views there. Other tours available there but we chose just to hang out and wander through the shops then spend the afternoon on the ship while it wasn't crowded.

Eastern hands down for us. We let our vacation schedule pick where we end up (Eastern/Western/Bahamas) to tell you the truth, but when it comes down to Eastern or Western we always favor Eastern. The ports are so much prettier and when it comes down to it, thats a huge part of the cruise!

We really enjoy both, but I definitely have to say we prefer the Eastern.

We have only sailed the Eastern once but did not find it all that thrilling. If I ever do that route again I will not leave the ship in coco-cay, it was so crowded, the food was awful, the bathroom facilities were disgusting - just not for me at all. St. Thomas we did a full day tour, nice but a bit slow paced and St.Martin we only walked the town.

The Eastern route has beautiful scenery but this year we are trying the Western route. We have flown to Cozumel many times to dive but this time we are just going to be tourists, not really enough time to get dives in, go back and change and then enjoy the town.

No matter what FOS was amazing and I cannot wait until we get to board again in August.

Cococay is wonderful!! That being said, it is the only thing that is better than the western. We love Cozumel for the beach and the shopping. We love Costa Maya for the beach and Belize for the ruins. We much prefer the western side.

BTW, Grand Cayman is our least favorite of any port we've ever been in.

I have to say, that I am NOT a beach person. So I found the Eastern runs we took boring. I do like birding, history jungles and the culture of Central America and Mexico. So.... I vastly prefer the western run. If you are really in to beach breaks, head to the eastern.

Eastern, I love planes and go to Maho beach every time we are in St Marrten. My DW is always afraid I'm going to miss the ship because I always say one more then we'll leave. It also has a nice small beach for her.

We just did the Eastern, and while I loved St. Maarten and St. Thomas, they were the only ports we got to stop at. The weather was too bad to stop at Cococay, and St. Maarten had a festival going on so all the shops were closed for the day. We did take a tour with Bernard and that was great. On St. Thomas we did the sail and snorkel to turtle cove and that was great, but the rest was boring. We did a Western one a few years ago, and we're actually going to take another one of those next spring. We found we really like port days more than sea days, and on this past Eastern one, we had 4 sea days, and that got old for us. There is a really good chance you won't stop at Cococay, so keep that in mind. You might end up with lots of sea days.

Hi there, just curious and along the same lines of this thread, what ruins did you get to see in Belize? That might just finalize our plans! And the beaches, Roatan and Belize, are they Caribbean-nice?

We went to the Talum-Ha ruins. They took us about 30 miles out into the jungle. It was amazing.

We were actually supposed to go to Key West but Hurricane Ernesto pushed us to Belize.

I am still debating about this myself. It sounds like Coco Cay beats Labadee; however, I really like Cozumel and have never been to Jamaica or Grand Cayman. So I am leaning towards Western at this point.

Hi there, just curious and along the same lines of this thread, what ruins did you get to see in Belize? That might just finalize our plans! And the beaches, Roatan and Belize, are they Caribbean-nice?

The most beautiful beach I ever saw was in Roatan. I believe it was Tabyana Beach. Didnt do the beach at Belize..cant speak to that.

All in all, IMO I would go western. I Honestly thought shopping was the same on eastern and western. Theres so much more offered to do in western caribbean (I mean besides beach related stuff).

Whatever you do, have fun!

We did a river run down to the Lamanai ruins, quite a trip with wildlife. Cave Tubing there is also a neat excursion as long as it's not the ship's tour.

http://www.slickrock.com/belizemayanruins.html

Love Roatan.

Archived