HAL's Officers are not Interchangeable

Pettifogger

There is a certain dining room manager I really like to sail with. On my first cruise he was my "head-waiter". On my third cruise he was my head waiter and got promoted to Asst. Materdi while I was on the cruise and have run into him three times since and he was dining room manager then. The last I heard he was on the Eurodam but I don't know where he is now. I think when you get to that level and you go home for a month or two when you come back you go to the ship where a dining room manager is just going off. Captians usually have a regular ship and when they go off for a break the relief Captian comes on. They are on two and off one and each relief Captain has a couple of ships and when both regular guys are back he goes off for a month.

There is a certain dining room manager I really like to sail with. On my first cruise he was my "head-waiter". On my third cruise he was my head waiter and got promoted to Asst. Materdi while I was on the cruise and have run into him three times since and he was dining room manager then. The last I heard he was on the Eurodam but I don't know where he is now. I think when you get to that level and you go home for a month or two when you come back you go to the ship where a dining room manager is just going off. Captians usually have a regular ship and when they go off for a break the relief Captian comes on. They are on two and off one and each relief Captain has a couple of ships and when both regular guys are back he goes off for a month.

Just a couple of corrections if you don't mind Sir. HAL will have 15 ships come July 4 and each ship will have two captains assigned. Even though they "relief" each other when one is on vacation, there are not identified as "relief" captains since they are "equal". HAL currently has 30 captains, actually 31, since Captain Jack van Coevorden, who started his career with HAL as an apprentice in 1963!! and officially retired in December 2008, is still being used as a "true relief captain". The captains usually stay onboard for three months and are then "off" for two

John:

Thanks for the update. It used to be that it was done the way I said but I am giving information I had recieved ten or twelve years ago. Things change but we don't change as readily as we did when we were young. I am going back to the days when the Veendam and the Ryndam had all British officers and I used to know the names of the Captains on those two shifts. Thank for the update.

The designations would have only one use, to allow passengers who are reluctant to re-book because of a unfortunate past officer-passenger experience to go ahead and book with HAL, which would benefit the passenger, would benefit HAL and would even benefit the designated officer, who would no longer have to be concerned that he or she might have deprived HAL of one or more bookings. quote]

Wow...it must have been a really nasty spat with whatever officer you want to avoid !

My suggestion to you is that you consider going on Crystal, because they list the Captain, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, Crystal Society Hostess, Maitre d', Lecturers, Entertainers, Bridge Instructors, Computer teachers and even the Ambassador Dance Hosts for each upcoming cruise. You can choose your cruise and who you're cruising with.

It's just an idea. That way you don't have to worry about being ambushed by whomever it is you don't want to see again. :)

Archived