Tell me about the Florida ships.

summergal

Lucky for us Dh is working in Florida through the summer months and is in West Palm. If you do not mind would you give me some info on some of those ships. We live in Texas and are spoiled with our two ships we love. So it is time we ventured out and enjoyed what the fleet has to offer while we have the advantage.

I have only been on fantasy class ships and the Destiny. All of those ships were excellent choices.

Jacksonville, Fla has the fascination, a fantasy class ship doing 4 and 5 day itineraries.

Tampa has the Inspiration and Legend. The inspiration has 4 and 5 day itineraries. The Legend has balcony cabins and sails on 7 day itinerary.

Port Canaveral has the Dream doing 5, 7 and 9 day itineraries. And the Sensation doing 3 and 4 day itineraries. The Dream is Carnival's newest and largest ship with balcony cabins. The sensation is a fantasy class ship. Port Canaveral is an hour from the Orlando airport.

Ft. Lauderdale has the Freedom and the Miracle both doing 7 days and longer itineraries.

Miami has the Imagination (fantasy class-few balconies) and Destiny-balconies doing shorter 4 and 5 day cruises.

The Glory, Valor, and Liberty (all have balconies) dong 7 day or longer cruises.

I have sailed out of Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Miami. Tampa was easiest for me (and is praised by many on this board). Port Canaveral was Ok for me, I used carnivals air package with transfer (my first cruise and did not know better). Miami's port was ok for me. The terminal was modern and efficient. The biggest liability is the Miami airport. I disliked it. American's terminal was 2nd world at best. There seems to be more complaints about Miami then the other ports.

Based on your situation, I would focus on the Itineraries. Carnival's website would be more helpful. I think Ft. Lauderdale and Miami would be more likely to provide cruises to places that you don't visit from Mexico. One of the ships from Miami does a cool 8 day that stops in Panama. That one is less frequent.

I hope this helps.

Ft Lauderdale is about an hour from West Palm and your best bet. Miami is the next closest. Another 30 minutes or so in traffic.

I would pick a ship from a closer port rather than driving farther myself...since you havent done any of the ship, why drive further?

There are some pretty cool ports available from east coast of fl. There ate some with mountains surrounding the bay. St. Thomas I think. So I would research carefully. You'll get more bang for the buck. I would try to do two of you can. There is no air fare and before cruise hotel.

The Freedom from Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) is a beautiful ship and does both a 6 night western and 8 night eastern itinerary. We were on it in March and it was one of our best cruises.

Agree about the Tampa port, its one of the easiest and best to embark from, and the Legend is also one of our favorite ships. Only western itineraries tho.

We live in Central Florida. DH wants to leave from PC, since his brother lives there and we don't have to pay for parking at the terminal.:)

Both Tampa & PC are within 90 minutes of home, depending on traffic and the Ft. Lauderdale & Miami are about 3 hrs, again depending on traffic. We found the Miami site to be easy to find and not long to board the ship.:)

As others have stated before, choose the ports you want to visit and go from there to book your cruise. Enjoy!

Archived