Misty Fjords Catamaran

clopaw

Does anyone have experience with a catamaran tour of Misty Fjords? I can find two: Goldbelt Tours six to six and half hours for $150 and Allen Marine four to four and a half hours for $139. A float plane will not work for us because my husband uses a guide dog.

Does anyone have experience with a catamaran tour of Misty Fjords? I can find two: Goldbelt Tours six to six and half hours for $150 and Allen Marine four to four and a half hours for $139. A float plane will not work for us because my husband uses a guide dog.

Did you happen to inquire directly about flying the guide dog??? May be an option with independent booking?? Dogs are everywhere in Alaska and it truely is a land of dog lovers. You will find them in some shops and even resturants- wouldn't be a go here in NY. :)

Not to push the issue, but isn't limiting guide dogs an infringement of the ADA, hence against the law? I work in hotel management and I know for a fact that if you don't bend over backwards to acommodate any service animal you can be slapped with a $10,000 fine in the blink of an eye. Maybe the FAA and the ADA have some agreement? Anyway, the ADA is a huge agency (and the most powerful in the country) and can overturn any ruling so I am suprised there is any limitations at all with guide dogs. It's even illegal for them to ask for documentation proving that it is a guide dog.

Erik

I have to apologize....the correspondence with Island Wings was last summer. When I got home from work, I looked it up, and they didn't turn us down, but they said they would charge us an extra half fare for the dog. Erik, thank you for your concern. I believe that it is an ADA violation to charge extra, but that is based on an interpretation of the law that Island Wings is offering a public service. Be that as it may, I don't really want to push this. Trust me, I can be very outspoken on this issue, but I am willing to let this one go.

Coral, we'll let you know what we decide. Ketchikan is the one stop that we are still undecided about what to do. BTW, had a great conversation with Pam in Captain Larry's office who was delighted to book the dog. As a matter of fact, our confirmation says "Two adults and Hero."

BTW, had a great conversation with Pam in Captain Larry's office who was delighted to book the dog. As a matter of fact, our confirmation says "Two adults and Hero."

They are a first class operation! It will be interesting to see how Hero responds to whales :) Maybe he won't look out the windows at all.

I agree, it is a violation of ADA but unless you are set on the float plane - I wouldn't push it either.

Archived