Looking for private guide; Istanbul & Athens

Scottsdale Guys

Can't make any recommendations; I think these are two cities that are quite easy to do on your own with a good travel book, and I wouldn't hire a guide for either of them. You should go to the Ports of Call section on this site and read other recommendations, as there are many. Do a search, or simply scroll down on the page and read the appropriate posts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Hi Scottsdale Guys,

In Istanbul I can recommend Kagan Kosagan. Had we known he could have met us in Kusadasi we would have booked him for that too.

In Athens we booked a tour and transfer with Spiros, after much research on these boards. Spiros promised us that he himself would be our guide. When we got to Athens we found out he handed us off to someone else, who was just OK. I would avoid Spiros for that reason.

We are on the Wind Star July 31 Istanbul to Athens. Can anyone recommend a guide in either city?

Thanks

We had a great guide in Athens in early May. Knowledgeable, excellent English, good driver, etc. etc. His name is Vassilis Vassalos.

Vassilis' contact information :

email Athenstours@gmail.com

US dial (01130) 6942 200299

EU dial (0030) 6942 200299

• 4 weeks later...

Larry and I use an outstanding private guide and have used her company twice in Turkey (throughout the country).

Figen Semerciyan +90(532)6408005. Figen and her partner Nirvana are specailists as well as being wonderful people. Larry and I have the BEST time with them. Figen also guided us in Ephesus and other nearby towns. She is owner of Society of Travel.

figena@societyoftravel.com. Be sure to let them know Bill and Larry recommended you contact them. Have a fantastic trip. Windstar has never been better! We also made arrangements to fly down to Cappaducia and do the balloon trip there. Figen can help with tha too if you are insterested.

• 2 weeks later...

Just the thing I was looking for. Help with private guides in Tukey. Going on Wind Spirit August 28 Athens-Istanbul. Single dude traveling alone. 5th Wind Star cruise and hooked! I always have a ball..I wrote the company you suggested and hope they can put something together for Ephesus and Istanbul. Any tips you have for this itinerary or things to do in port, I'd love to hear. Thanks.:cool:

You asked for suggestions:

Are you on Windstar or Windspirit?

When you go to Mykinos, I highly recommend the tour to the nearby island of Delos which, if you are on Windstar ship, can be arranged by the terrific shipboard hosts, Greg and Moyra. You will still have plenty of time after you return from Delos to explore Mykinos.

The guide you want to ask for by name is Amarylis. She is probably the best guide on any subject I have had anywhere in the world. Please be sure to mention Bill and Larry recommended this.

On Santorini, I highly recommend the bus tour of the entire island, especially if you have never been to Santorini before. It gives you the best overview of the island and the tour gives you plenty of time to explore the enchanting town of Oia as well. There will be time at the end of the tour to explore the main commercial shopping town, Fia (spelling?) where the tram is located that will take you back to the dock where you return to Windstar.

At Rhodes, we did a day long excursion: the walking tour of the town and the restored castle and from there took a wonderful gullet boat ride in the afternoon to a nearby island. There was time to swim and it included lunch aboard. We thought it was excellent.

At Bodrum, we took the walking tour of the old town and castle. It was relaxing and informative and was short enough that it provided time in the afternoon to go back and do some exploring on our own.

Great tips and I appreciate it. I'm assuming these tours you mention are the pre-arranged Windstar ones. I'm on Wind Spirit. Not sure who the hosts will be. I've had great luck in the past (done 4 cruises with this line. Try Croatia by the way. A great trip!)... Delos is a must..and the trip around Santorini....BTW...I just arranged some tours with the folks you mentioned in Turkey. They couldn't be nicer and will also get me from the port in Istanbul to the airport in time for my flight.:cool:

A couple of alternative sightseeing suggestions (we did this cruise on Windstar three years ago):

On Santorini, no need to take an organized bus tour. The public bus over the same route (it's a small island) is frequent and inexpensive, if you want to go first class the local taxis (also the same roads) are plentiful at each end and don't cost much either, and each of the two towns can be covered 100% in a couple of hours' walking.

On Rhodes, consider going down to Lindos, the town at the opposite end of the island. The Acropolis there is spectacularly sited, and the town is suitably quaint (you can ride a donkey up the hill if this appeals to you). Again, public buses and taxis to and from Rhodes Town are plentiful and reasonably priced.

In Bodrum, do not miss the underwater archaeology museum (in the castle, I think but am no longer sure) with its salvaged and remarkably intact early Greek ship, as well as many relics.

Finally, on Delos, we also had an official guide (in Greece they're not only licensed but must have completed significant academic training) who was hands down the best guide we've ever had anywhere. I think her name may have been Amaryllis, but will check our old travel journal to see. One of her parents is Greek, the other British (hence her perfect English)-- GYMSWIM, does this sound familiar?

All this just makes us want to go back and do it all over again.

Thank you Hofttraveler....more advice. Yes, the museum, etc...Rhodes, can't wait to do it all...curious about best way to spend time in Mykonos, too. Seems like time is brief there. Have only been once to Greek Isles and that was Crete in the 70's when we were hippies and lived on those glorious beaches. Time flies. Cheers.:cool:

Mykonos -- Once you've gazed at the windmills on the ridge, it's basically beaches, boutiques, and bars. Our impression was that the boutiques and bars were either jet-set elegant and expensive, or backpacker-tacky and expensive. Our solution after returning from Delos was to find a fish restaurant with a great view and linger over a long lunch and a nice bottle of Greek wine (and if you haven't tried any since that retsina you had in the '70's, you're in for a wonderful surprise).

• 1 month later...

Great advise--Are these Winstar tours? What was the cost? Are tenders used to all ports How long is the off loading process?

What are your favorite sights in Athens and Istanbul? Also we will be in Istanbul three days Do you recommend a trip out of the city-Where??

When you go to Mykinos, I highly recommend the tour to the nearby island of Delos which, if you are on Windstar ship, can be arranged by the terrific shipboard hosts, Greg and Moyra. You will still have plenty of time after you return from Delos to explore Mykinos.

The guide you want to ask for by name is Amarylis. She is probably the best guide on any subject I have had anywhere in the world. Please be sure to mention Bill and Larry recommended this.

On Santorini, I highly recommend the bus tour of the entire island, especially if you have never been to Santorini before. It gives you the best overview of the island and the tour gives you plenty of time to explore the enchanting town of Oia as well. There will be time at the end of the tour to explore the main commercial shopping town, Fia (spelling?) where the tram is located that will take you back to the dock where you return to Windstar.

At Rhodes, we did a day long excursion: the walking tour of the town and the restored castle and from there took a wonderful gullet boat ride in the afternoon to a nearby island. There was time to swim and it included lunch aboard. We thought it was excellent.

At Bodrum, we took the walking tour of the old town and castle. It was relaxing and informative and was short enough that it provided time in the afternoon to go back and do some exploring on our own.

On Santorini, I highly recommend the bus tour of the entire island, especially if you have never been to Santorini before. It gives you the best overview of the island and the tour gives you plenty of time to explore the enchanting town of Oia as well. There will be time at the end of the tour to explore the main commercial shopping town, Fia (spelling?) where the tram is located that will take you back to the dock where you return to Windstar

I also recommend Windstar's bus tour of Santorini because you don't lose time waiting for and completing the ride up the mountain by cable car or donkey. You will be first off the ship, tendered to a separate port, and be taken by bus around the island and left in picturesque Oia for sightseeing and then taken to Fira, where you get cable car tickets to go down when you want. It was VERY hot in Santorini when I was there in August 2008 so it was great to minimize waiting in the hot sun and maximize

the time you were actually on Santorini. In Bodrum I recommend Windstar's excursion that combines a tour of St.Peter's castle/underwater archol. museum with gulet excursion with lunch and swimming. Lot's of fun, everybody relaxed and refreshing to swim in the clear sea water.Have

a great trip!

Archived