What kind of food/snack do you pack as carry-on when flying?

Aelsantokie

I try to get the kids to have a full breakfast or lunch (depending on our flight) before we get to the airport but depending on how long the flight is, its inevitable that we will have to have another meal or a lot of snacking.

I'm trying to get some new ideas for our upcoming trip (this time we are doing an all-inclusive for the first time) and we will have to wait for our cruise in August!

In the past I've:

1. On the way to the airport go through drive through and get some sandwiches kids can eat while waiting to board.

2. I always carry two huge SIGG water bottles (empty of course) and fill it with fountain water with a HUGE stash of crystal light type of packets to flavor the water.

3. Beef jerky!

4. Different type of granola bars

5. Grape washed and put in individual zip loc bags for the kids

6. Some Zone, Atkins or Slim fast type of meal replacement for me and DH

But it seems like we always spend $$$ buying food at the airport as the kids get pretty tired of eating the same types of food when traveling.

I would love to get some ideas!

Peanut Butter and Jelly

Bacon

Real Cheese and crackers (or the snack pack)

Peanut Butter on crackers

Cereal and a plastic bowl(s) and spoon(s) purchase milk in airport

Bagel and Cream Cheese (yes, it will be fine as long as you eat it on the plane - dont save it for after you land)

Cheetos, Cheese it's

for energy boost, make your own trail mix but no candy added, kids don't need that much sugar. dried fruit (mango, raisin, cranberry, blueberry, cherries), nuts (if not allergic) - almonds, pistachio, cashews - roasted, unsalted. cheese sticks.

granola bars, crackers. individual size boxes of cereal. don't bring anything mushy that might spill like apple sauce or yogurt.

Do you have any problems getting through security with your empty SIGG bottles since they are stainless steel? Usually we pack them and send them through and only bring empty plastic ones that we can toss after one use.

Do you have any problems getting through security with your empty SIGG bottles since they are stainless steel? Usually we pack them and send them through and only bring empty plastic ones that we can toss after one use.

I've taken my SIGG and Starbucks bottles and no problem!

These flights were Columbus, Oh to LAX and Miami!

My girls love the simple mix of raisins and peanuts - it's delcious and filling. Also, my Target now sells individual sized cups of peanut butter, so I bring crackers and/or celery. Cereal bars, chex mix, fruit roll - I pack small individual sized zip locs so I can keep pulling out something different when they're bored/want something different.

Best,

Mia

Apart from what else has been mentioned, I generally pick up a few individual packets of Nutella (the World Market by us has them) -- they are a nice change up from the peanut butter.

DD also likes Raman noodles - plain and raw (go figure!). We put the pack into a ziplock, becuase the original wrappers seem to just self-destruct upon opening.

When she was younger, a couple of tubes of frozen "go gurt" (tubed yogart) in a softsided insulated bag with some individually wrapped cheese products (Sargento makes a variety) or wrapped string cheese.

I had this concern with our recent cruise... we left at 8:45, so I knew there wouldn't be time to eat before we left. I made a small bagel with PB and DS ate that in the car on the way to the airport. I also froze grapes so they would be nice and cold and a treat for later. Also bought a bag of yogurt covered raisins (for a little added protein). They come in a nice zip bag. String cheese is also a good option.

I believe in no messy snacks on a plane. No PB, no chocolate, no cream cheese etc. I hate cleaning up the messes. :) Plus if you don't have really small kids they count towards your 3 oz container limit!

Here are some suggestions:

Small potato chip bags

Gummy bears/ worms.

Granola bars

Cereal protein bars.

If you wanted to go the healthy route you could pack some grapes, apples, celery, carrot sticks or sugar snap peas. Just make sure they are good and cold before you leave the house and toss them in a cooler. Once you get to the airport (And through security) you can get some ice from a vendor, seal it in a ziplock bag and voila you have cold fruit the entire trip w/ no worries from secuirty.

We used to have a wonderful Subway at our airport. We would get sandwiches once we were through security and then take them on the plane. (No mayo just in case we were delayed in eating them on the plane.)

Your kids are beautiful!

Here's something different they might like - EAS protein bars, chocolate flavor. My 9yo son LOVES them and has since he was a toddler. He always thought it was a real treat to have bites from mine or now that he's bigger when I allow him to have one for himself!

My hubby (who is diabetic) used to fly a couple of times a week for work and carried a several of these bars in his laptop bag in case he was running late or the particular airport he was in didn't have food he cared for.

Thank you so much for your nice compliment Laura!

Are those EAS bars found where the meal replacement stuff is located? I think I might have bought some of their drink in place of muscle milk. If your little one likes it then it must be tasty and not chalky like some protein bars!

Thank you everyone for suggestions! I just needed to switch some things around as the kids were getting bored!

Keep in mind that security may not allow yogurt or apple sauce as they consider it to be a liquid. Learned that one the hard way.

We often take some ziplock bags of assorted crackers, and fruit leathers such as fruit-to-go bars which are small to pack.

Don't tempt the security teams at the airport. We take p'nut butter/crackers in the individual packages (w/4 to the pack). Granola bars, cereal bars, trail mix. None of the yogurt, applesauce or anything else that I can't picture being easily shaken off my clothing.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I take lunchables for the kids, grapes, single serving crackers/cookies/pretzels, string cheese. Your kids are older than mine, but I always try to bring some candy for bribing. (i know, i'm terrible :p) But if the kids start crying or acting up on a 3 hr plane and your sitting near me, you will thank me! :D

Love the pictures! Your children are adorable!

I've been flying with my little guy since he was a baby and I find that food is the best distraction there is for him. I've brought luncheables (the kinds without pudding or water/drink) along with those mini carrots, apple slices, dried apricots and trail mix. I found a great lunch box (Goodbynz) that I bring along with an ice pack. I'm basically make our own luncheable but with nicer chees and sliced meats and fruit. It' cheaper and healthier.

There's always Happy Meals too. ;)

Archived