What To Do In Anchorage???

alaskandreamer

Hi Everyone!

We have an extra day in Anchorage at the end of our cruisetour due to our flights leaving late in the evening.

We will be staying at the Hotel Captain Cook.

We were wondering what there is to do within walking distance

of the hotel?

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

We love outdoor activities, nature, wildlife and native culture.

What would be some good places to check out?

Thanks for your help!

These are all things within Anchorage but there is alot more little stuff in town not to mention close to Anchorage - I would opt for the Native Visitor Center given your interest in native culture and staying close to Anchorage.

Log Cabin Downtown Visitor Center

Anchorage Museum.... Add the Imaginarium if you have kids

http://www.anchoragemuseum.org

Alaska Native Heritage Center.... Best native american attraciotn in alaska. There is a shuttle from downtown.

http://www.alaskanative.net

The Alaska Zoo... Shuttle from downtown

http://www.alaskazoo.org

Alaska Wild Berry Products and Park

Anchorage Market and Festival - Weekend Market on Saturday and Sunday

Ulu Factory

http://www.theulufactory.com

Ship Creek and Elmsdorf Hatchery

4th Avenue Marketplace and Alaska Experience

Summer Solstice Festival if you are in town on the 19th of June

We stayed at the Captain Cook before and after the land part of our cruisetour- we are still talking about the oysters rockefeller in the Whale's Tail- they were the best we have ever had. The halibut is good, too, but the oysters are unbelieveable. The 1st night we had the oysters and a drink at the Whale's Tail and then went to dinner across the street at Corsair's- very nice. The diners were in casual clothes for the most part and the wait staff were in tuxes. We had chateaubriand and it was very good, but the next week when we returned to Anchorage, we stayed at the Tail. ;)

Another place that has great Oyster Rockefellers (I haven't had them but friends have) is one of my favorites in town is Simon & Seafort's. They also have a Parmesan crusted Halibut or a crab stuffed halibut. If you want they usuallly let you do a 1/2 and 1/2.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Have you been to the Sourdough Mining Co restaurant. They say they have a free round trip shuttle from any hotel. Any good.

We will be staying at Captain Cook hotel. If I remember, I think I have read about a brewery restaurant here the hotel. After a long day flying from Toronto, we would like some place close by to eat.

We will only have late afternoon & evening. Can we get the trolly tour near Captain Cook hotel.

Have you been to the Sourdough Mining Co restaurant. They say they have a free round trip shuttle from any hotel. Any good.

We will be staying at Captain Cook hotel. If I remember, I think I have read about a brewery restaurant here the hotel. After a long day flying from Toronto, we would like some place close by to eat.

We will only have late afternoon & evening. Can we get the trolly tour near Captain Cook hotel.

This is my own opinion, but I don't like the Sourdough Mining Company. It's one large room and can get pretty noisy. I think in the last 27 years I've lived here (out of 33) that I've been there maybe 4 or 5 times.

It's an easy walk to the Glacier Brewhouse. Come out of the Captain Cook on the 5th Avenue side, head towards the mountains about 2 1/2 blocks down, you'll be there http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/

For the Trolley Tour (which I believe leave from the Anchorage Visitor's Bureau Log Cabin) you'll come out the 4th Avenue side of the Captain Cook and then talk a little over 3 blocks to 4th and F (you'll be at 4th and I) to be where I believe they start.

I've been in Anchorage three times for several days each time, and my best experience has been renting a bike and riding the Tony Knowles Trail. There are a couple of places to rent bikes, but Downtown Bike Rental (on Fourth Avenue) has the best selection. Wonderful views including Denali on an incredibly clear day, and plenty of moose (do NOT approach).

Sourdough Mining was a waste of our time and money but I highly recommend Orso, Glacier Brewhouse, and Humpy's. Downtown Deli is also decent, and Dark Horse Coffee on F Street (across from the new convention center) is friendly and good. There are computers here too.

Are there any other recommendations of places to stay? I guess it is expensive everywhere.

Once mid May hits here in Anchorage room rates go up. You could use www.kayak.com for your dates to see what's available and a rate you would be comfortable with and then ask here about what you would be thinking about.

I know there are lots of B&Bs here it town but since I live here I don't have any experience with any of them.

Archived