Should I Pay it Off Now?

xnavydoc2

Hello to All,

My Lovely Wife Opal and I have put a down payment on a Panama Canal Cruise on the Ncl Pearl for the last week of Sept. 2010. Our final payment is'nt due untill July 11, 2010. I could easily pay it off now, but was wondering what, if any, would be the advantage of doing that. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Is it actually when you "make final payment"? Or the "final payment date" (the date final payment is due) that is the date they consider?

Hmmm? Don't understand what you are saying? I think what you are asking is if you make final payment early, and the price drops will they still consider adjusting price because final payment really wasn't due yet?

No, once final payment is made, it's made.. Whether it was due or not.

Hello to All,

My Lovely Wife Opal and I have put a down payment on a Panama Canal Cruise on the Ncl Pearl for the last week of Sept. 2010. Our final payment is'nt due untill July 11, 2010. I could easily pay it off now, but was wondering what, if any, would be the advantage of doing that. Any Ideas?

Thanks

The one advantage I can think of, small though it may be, is that if you pay it with your BofA WorldPerks credit card, you get the normal pittance of 1% in value for credit card points plus bonus points for it being an NCL purchase. I forget if that extra bonus pittance is 1%, 2%, or 3%, but in any case, it's extra points. If you use that credit card, you get the bonus, whether you do it early or late, but if you do it early it gives you some time to get it processed (points show up on your next billing cycle), and then if you have enough points, you can cash 'em in on shipboard credits.

If you are inclined to gamble, the best thing to do with those points is to score a set of Triple Play chips and a One Armed Bandit chitty. There used to be a Blood Pressure Raiser Table Bet (single $100 bet that cost you $50 worth of CC points), but that seems to have been taken off the table.

I'm jealous of your itinerary. I'm on the same ship about two months earlier. I'll try not to use it all up.

InThe

PS: I have a very nice oil painting by a friend, signed "Opal". I'll take your word for it that she's a lovely wife, but I'll opine she has a lovely name.

If you pay early, if the price goes down and you call them to get the lower price, the difference will be refunded to the method you paid with, as long as it is BEFORE final payment date.

Unless you booked with a grumpy TA who refuses to call NCL :mad:

Unless you booked with a grumpy TA who refuses to call NCL :mad:

That is when you notify the TA and NCL in writing, and pull our reservation from the TA. If they charge for you to do that, use the savings to pay them, and then never use them again, and tell all your friends not to either.

Al

BTW, I booked with "Todd" at NCL. He assured (?) me that he would notify me if the prices went down. Note to "InThe", thanks for the kind words, in MY opinion my wife Opal IS indeed Lovely. You used the word "Opine", Bill O'Reilly?

Hello to All,

Thanks

There really isn't any advantage. There is no reason not to either, if the price does drop before you final payment due date regardless of when you make the payment you can still take advantage of the lower price.

Nita

You'd better have really good trip insurance either way. I personally would wait in case something comes up that would force you to cancel prior to final payment like illness, accident, family emergency. Too much can come into play and if you haven't done anything but the down payment there is not so much stress.

I always wait until the date the final payment is due (aka. Drop Dead Day). I usually will start checking prices about two weeks out. It has been my exprience that this is when people start to cancel and get their deposits back. Sometimes the prices go dow, sometimes they don't. However, you will not hurt yourself by waiting.

Archived