How do you keep the luggage weight down?

DivasDare (or anyone), two questions:

1. If you traveled 12 days without repeating in a 26" suitcase, could you elaborate about how you did it instead of just that you did it? I will be gone 15 days and cannot figure out how to do it without repeating and washing pieces along the way.

2. The free wine on Air France: did you find that drinking a modest amount of wine during your flight had the deleterious effects we are warned about? It seems to me to be a good way to relax and fall asleep, but every advice source says "avoid caffeine and alcohol".

Yes! Please elaborate. I will be gone 16 days and need help! I am planning on using the ship laundry, but your tips would still be helpful.

DivasDare (or anyone), two questions:

1. If you traveled 12 days without repeating in a 26" suitcase, could you elaborate about how you did it instead of just that you did it? I will be gone 15 days and cannot figure out how to do it without repeating and washing pieces along the way.

2. The free wine on Air France: did you find that drinking a modest amount of wine during your flight had the deleterious effects we are warned about? It seems to me to be a good way to relax and fall asleep, but every advice source says "avoid caffeine and alcohol".

To pack I roll the items, and my dress clothes in dry cleaner plastic and tissue. No wrinkles. For the days I had shorts, short cotton skirts and tee's. It was HOT in Athens, Sicily and Turkey. Evenings I had silk ss blouses, linen pants and knit dresses. I did not change after dinner to attend shows. I carried my shoes in my carry-on, along with my laptop, and under garments. I started with a pair of slip-on tennis, dress sandals and dress pumps. While in Paris I bought a pair of walking ergo slides, best purchase in life. I then bought another pair of sandals in Rome Termini. I like shoes.

Now coming home was a different story since I shopped every place I found myself. I had an expandable tote that I used to transport those extras that would not fit in my suitcases.

As for the food and wine on AF, I loved it. They give you a little menu prior to service and you can pick which meal you like depending upon availability. They pass rolls and ask if you want wine or champagne. I am so mad that I won't be on AF this year, but I didn't want to fly Atalia (sp) or have long layovers between flights.

Oh, and no I didn't do laundry on the ship.

eta... I don't know how this lady only used a 22", but she rolled her items like I do:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/business/06PACK.html?scp=1&sq=packing&st=cse

Edited by DivasDare

Same here. I refuse to wear the same thing over within two weeks at home, why would I do it on vacation?

i pretty much DONT wear anything twice other than pants in a month and i travel that way too and i do have ALOT of things that really i can pretty much just wear on a cruise dont have the ocassions at home so i WANT to wear something different every nite and other than maybe a skirt or pair of gauchos or something i do.

To pack I roll the items, and my dress clothes in dry cleaner plastic and tissue. No wrinkles. For the days I had shorts, short cotton skirts and tee's. It was HOT in Athens, Sicily and Turkey. Evenings I had silk ss blouses, linen pants and knit dresses. I did not change after dinner to attend shows. I carried my shoes in my carry-on, along with my laptop, and under garments. I started with a pair of slip-on tennis, dress sandals and dress pumps. While in Paris I bought a pair of walking ergo slides, best purchase in life. I then bought another pair of sandals in Rome Termini. I like shoes.

Now coming home was a different story since I shopped every place I found myself. I had an expandable tote that I used to transport those extras that would not fit in my suitcases.

As for the food and wine on AF, I loved it. They give you a little menu prior to service and you can pick which meal you like depending upon availability. They pass rolls and ask if you want wine or champagne. I am so mad that I won't be on AF this year, but I didn't want to fly Atalia (sp) or have long layovers between flights.

Oh, and no I didn't do laundry on the ship.

eta... I don't know how this lady only used a 22", but she rolled her items like I do:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/business/06PACK.html?scp=1&sq=packing&st=cse

Thanks for the tips.

Thank you, DivasDare.

Thanks for the tips.

You're welcome. Enjoy your trip!

i pretty much DONT wear anything twice other than pants in a month and i travel that way too and i do have ALOT of things that really i can pretty much just wear on a cruise dont have the ocassions at home so i WANT to wear something different every nite and other than maybe a skirt or pair of gauchos or something i do.

I know what you mean. We have become so casual, even in the office and church that we don't dress up, not formal, but just a little more dressier. I love it while cruising, and lighter weight fabrics help to accomplish this. Plus the first and last nights, you really don't change so that cuts down on two outfits right? lol

I know what you mean. We have become so casual, even in the office and church that we don't dress up, not formal, but just a little more dressier. I love it while cruising, and lighter weight fabrics help to accomplish this. Plus the first and last nights, you really don't change so that cuts down on two outfits right? lol

I enjoy dressing up on the ship, even though I would dress up quite a bit at work. It is not unusual for me to be in a business suit (woman's) most days, or at least very nice tailored pants and a dressy blouse. I still enjoy it on the ship.

I absolutely agree that one of the major things to consider is fabric weight when packing. Plus, ease of packing, knits travel so much better than most woven fabrics. When I look at some of the photos of the formal gowns some women post on the picture of my dress thread, while I appreciate how pretty they are, it's just so much to pack.

I'll still disagree with many that won't wear things more than once on a vacation. Even when we drive to port, I still cut back, I just don't want to haul that much stuff and I don't want to use the porters on the return trip back to the terminal. But, if you can fit it all into one case without going over weight, go for it :)

I absolutely agree that one of the major things to consider is fabric weight when packing. Plus, ease of packing, knits travel so much better than most woven fabrics. When I look at some of the photos of the formal gowns some women post on the picture of my dress thread, while I appreciate how pretty they are, it's just so much to pack.

I'll still disagree with many that won't wear things more than once on a vacation. Even when we drive to port, I still cut back, I just don't want to haul that much stuff and I don't want to use the porters on the return trip back to the terminal. But, if you can fit it all into one case without going over weight, go for it :)

That is one of my concerns right now. I have a beautiful dress, but it will be a giant pain to pack.... What to do?!? I guess I will pack it and see how much of a difference there is with and without it, and if I have room, leave it.

That is one of my concerns right now. I have a beautiful dress, but it will be a giant pain to pack.... What to do?!? I guess I will pack it and see how much of a difference there is with and without it, and if I have room, leave it.

Such a shame to leave a beautiful dress at home :(

When I shop for formal wear for a cruise, I keep simplicity of packing it at the top of the list.

I do have a dress in my closet right now that is a gorgeous red jersey knit and I love it on me. It still has the tags on it and I'm considering sending it to a consignment store to recoup some of the money on it. Simply because, even though it will not wrinkle the thing is so darned heavy and bulky being floor length and 2 layers. I bought it for very little, however a final sale no return policy. I had no idea it would weigh almost 5 lbs. when I ordered it. I'm not willing to give up 5 lbs. luggage weight for one dress that will be worn one time.

How do I keep the weight down? Co-ordinate everything and lightweight fabrics. For trips of a week, I'm not so strict, but anything longer, tops must go with multiple bottoms and the other way around. We live by the saying that if you pack it, you deal with it. Lugging dead weight around isn't my idea of fun. I also think I dress differently from some of the packers I know. I have a friend and everything is "outfits"..this top goes with these pants and this jacket. And she'll end up taking 20 outfits. I'm much more of a mix and match girl.

For our upcoming trip to France, I'll have access to laundry at the start of week 3 - that will definitely play a role in my packing. We also have an apartment booked on the 4th floor, no elevators. I would like to be able to leave luggage in the car between destinations and it's can't be in sight. Tons of reasons not to overpack!!

Such a shame to leave a beautiful dress at home :(

When I shop for formal wear for a cruise, I keep simplicity of packing it at the top of the list.

I do have a dress in my closet right now that is a gorgeous red jersey knit and I love it on me. It still has the tags on it and I'm considering sending it to a consignment store to recoup some of the money on it. Simply because, even though it will not wrinkle the thing is so darned heavy and bulky being floor length and 2 layers. I bought it for very little, however a final sale no return policy. I had no idea it would weigh almost 5 lbs. when I ordered it. I'm not willing to give up 5 lbs. luggage weight for one dress that will be worn one time.

I have worn this dress before, but then gained weight, and have just now lost enough to get back into it. I am still debating, but it looks like it may stay home.... :(

TRY a TRIAL run see how it packs and takes up room or not!

TRY a TRIAL run see how it packs and takes up room or not!

This is my plan... I thought DH was going to kill me today, as I had a bunch of clothes out, trying on all different things and debating which items were "worth the weight" in the suitcase! LOL He kept reminding me that we have over 2 months to pack!

This is my plan... I thought DH was going to kill me today, as I had a bunch of clothes out, trying on all different things and debating which items were "worth the weight" in the suitcase! LOL He kept reminding me that we have over 2 months to pack!

oh i DO this too....and then i usually pack 1-2 weeks before i leave so i try on again and make sure...heck i would do it tomorrow...i am so READY for a CRUISE, but i have to wait til least November to start packing......lol...

oh i DO this too....and then i usually pack 1-2 weeks before i leave so i try on again and make sure...heck i would do it tomorrow...i am so READY for a CRUISE, but i have to wait til least November to start packing......lol...

I made it to JUNE for my Mid-August cruise... it was all I could do to not pull out the summer clothes in January! Practicing self-control! Plus, it helps me know how many new things I need to buy when I start 2-3 months out! :D:D

I am a habitual overpacker (but getting better with time) and I am anxious weeks before any cruise as I prepare for the luggage meltdown - this is when you are finally almost packed and weigh your luggage and realize it's too heavy and then the FUN BEGINS!!! :(

So here are some of my strategies:

1) Definitely find the 'lightest' luggage -weight before packing - I have a large 26 inch which weighs about 9 lbs empty (my others are at least 12-14 lbs so right away I have a few 'extra' lbs to work with).

2) Yes I have a 'spreadsheet' with days/ports across the top and outfits for day/evening (including accessories) - the trick for me is NOT TO ADD anything extra - which is very hard to do - a t-shirt here, an extra pair of flip flops there - it all adds up - I need to stick to the list.

3) I don't bring any 'heavy 'clothing - when purchasing cruise wear I do take into account fabric weight - I have a few of those 'citiknits' type tanks and 'cardigan' (black) which weigh almost nothing, and pack really well. I pack 2 pairs of slinky black pants for evening wear and tanks (with sequins or sparkly) that coordinate. and fancy 'flip flop' wedge sandals (with rhinestones).

4) For toiletries - what I do is when I get close to the 'bottom' of a given product I take it out of the shower and put it in a ziplock bag - like maybe 1/4 left? I take these on the cruise and then 'discard' them as they are basically empty or almost empty when I'm done - this has saved me enuf weight to bring back some souvenirs!!! (remember on the way back those bottles/tubes are all gone). I do the same with cleansers, makeup remover, etc.

5) I do pack a travel hair dryer cuz the ones in the cabins are usually crappy!

6) My carryon/tote bag doubles as my beach bag on excursions.

7) I do pack my own snorkel and mask - cuz the fit and comfort is very important - but will use other 'fins' if required.

8) Flip flops/sandals are of the lightest material and I am down to 4 pairs - 2 black, 2 white (one low, one high). I wear my runners on the plane and my 'jacket'.

9) Books - I am an avid reader - but hate buying books or taking library books with me. Before the cruise I usually hit a few 2nd hand bookstores or thrift shops where I can find excellent novels for about $1 for a paperback - I buy a couple and then leave them on the ship when I'm done!!!

10) My booklight does double duty as a night light.

11) I have the space bags and bring them for the trip home - great for dirty laundry - but as someone else mentioned - if I use them my luggage is definitely heavier cuz I have more room for more stuff!!!

12) I also try to pack heavy stuff in my carryon to lighten the weight of my suitcase - things such as shoes, purses, hair dryer, electronics, books etc.

13) And I do have a 'digital' portable luggage scale (which my cruise buddy bought for me after witnessing the aforementioned luggage meltdown) which I bring with me (in my carryon). It is very helpful for the trip home and helps me 'rebalance' my carryon and luggage before getting to the airport (and yes my carryon is usually stuffed to the max but who cares at that point!).

Now the best news for me is on the 2nd leg of my upcoming b2b I will become a platinum cruiser on carnival which entitles me to free laundry!!! I can't wait!. Technically this means I really only have to pack for 5 days (ya like that's gonna happen :D)....and can then send everything out to be washed. Problem is I of course can't send my 'nice' stuff out cuz it won't be 'treated' right - but it should be helpful for underwear, socks, t-shirts, jammies, and other non-fancy stuff!

I am a habitual overpacker (but getting better with time) and I am anxious weeks before any cruise as I prepare for the luggage meltdown - this is when you are finally almost packed and weigh your luggage and realize it's too heavy and then the FUN BEGINS!!! :(

So here are some of my strategies:

1) Definitely find the 'lightest' luggage -weight before packing - I have a large 26 inch which weighs about 9 lbs empty (my others are at least 12-14 lbs so right away I have a few 'extra' lbs to work with).

2) Yes I have a 'spreadsheet' with days/ports across the top and outfits for day/evening (including accessories) - the trick for me is NOT TO ADD anything extra - which is very hard to do - a t-shirt here, an extra pair of flip flops there - it all adds up - I need to stick to the list.

3) I don't bring any 'heavy 'clothing - when purchasing cruise wear I do take into account fabric weight - I have a few of those 'citiknits' type tanks and 'cardigan' (black) which weigh almost nothing, and pack really well. I pack 2 pairs of slinky black pants for evening wear and tanks (with sequins or sparkly) that coordinate. and fancy 'flip flop' wedge sandals (with rhinestones).

4) For toiletries - what I do is when I get close to the 'bottom' of a given product I take it out of the shower and put it in a ziplock bag - like maybe 1/4 left? I take these on the cruise and then 'discard' them as they are basically empty or almost empty when I'm done - this has saved me enuf weight to bring back some souvenirs!!! (remember on the way back those bottles/tubes are all gone). I do the same with cleansers, makeup remover, etc.

5) I do pack a travel hair dryer cuz the ones in the cabins are usually crappy!

6) My carryon/tote bag doubles as my beach bag on excursions.

7) I do pack my own snorkel and mask - cuz the fit and comfort is very important - but will use other 'fins' if required.

8) Flip flops/sandals are of the lightest material and I am down to 4 pairs - 2 black, 2 white (one low, one high). I wear my runners on the plane and my 'jacket'.

9) Books - I am an avid reader - but hate buying books or taking library books with me. Before the cruise I usually hit a few 2nd hand bookstores or thrift shops where I can find excellent novels for about $1 for a paperback - I buy a couple and then leave them on the ship when I'm done!!!

10) My booklight does double duty as a night light.

11) I have the space bags and bring them for the trip home - great for dirty laundry - but as someone else mentioned - if I use them my luggage is definitely heavier cuz I have more room for more stuff!!!

12) I also try to pack heavy stuff in my carryon to lighten the weight of my suitcase - things such as shoes, purses, hair dryer, electronics, books etc.

13) And I do have a 'digital' portable luggage scale (which my cruise buddy bought for me after witnessing the aforementioned luggage meltdown) which I bring with me (in my carryon). It is very helpful for the trip home and helps me 'rebalance' my carryon and luggage before getting to the airport (and yes my carryon is usually stuffed to the max but who cares at that point!).

Now the best news for me is on the 2nd leg of my upcoming b2b I will become a platinum cruiser on carnival which entitles me to free laundry!!! I can't wait!. Technically this means I really only have to pack for 5 days (ya like that's gonna happen :D)....and can then send everything out to be washed. Problem is I of course can't send my 'nice' stuff out cuz it won't be 'treated' right - but it should be helpful for underwear, socks, t-shirts, jammies, and other non-fancy stuff!

These are some great tips! Thanks so much for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

4 weeks/2 cruises, 4 days land. made several mini size cosmetic items in hotel sample bottles...threw the empties away, and the last bit of product..I know how much I use..so I plan. it you take older clothes, you can leave behind. Minimize shoes..oops, did I say that...and eve bags..and costume jewls..those, and meds in carry on anyway. Dump all paper goods/maps/flyers etc. wear heavy home..29' case, rollaboard, and big tote..was 46#'s to come home from Spain..pal..had 4 checked 2 carry..$255 on Delta to fly "JUNK" home..I took my scale/handheld..and stuck to it..BUY JEWELRY

4 weeks/2 cruises, 4 days land. made several mini size cosmetic items in hotel sample bottles...threw the empties away, and the last bit of product..I know how much I use..so I plan. it you take older clothes, you can leave behind. Minimize shoes..oops, did I say that...and eve bags..and costume jewls..those, and meds in carry on anyway. Dump all paper goods/maps/flyers etc. wear heavy home..29' case, rollaboard, and big tote..was 46#'s to come home from Spain..pal..had 4 checked 2 carry..$255 on Delta to fly "JUNK" home..I took my scale/handheld..and stuck to it..BUY JEWELRY

WOW 4 weeks! 2 CRUISES! I am jealous.