Venice : Hidden Gem Suggestion for Hotel?

shipcafe

I use Venere to search and read reviews etc. I then usually go to the hotel's own web site to book. I don't find that Venere gets you a lower price and like to have a relationship with the local hotel. I like to ask them to make restaurant reservations for me etc. They also let you pay with a credit card when you leave.

We LOVED Hotel Ai Due Principe, on a canal just 2 minutes from St. Mark's. Family owned and newly renovated, so beautiful. We had a huge room and the biggest bathroom I have ever seen and that was for the least expensive room. Check it out!

We booked about 6 months prior using www.venere.com . Venere is currently showing availability for La Locandiera in October. Go to venere.com, put in your dates and search La Locandiera. We have found venere to be very reliable. Good luck.

Thanks for the link, they are only showing dates thru Summer 2011 and I am looking for October 2011 so I guess I need to wait a couple more months.:)

We LOVED Hotel Ai Due Principe, on a canal just 2 minutes from St. Mark's. Family owned and newly renovated, so beautiful. We had a huge room and the biggest bathroom I have ever seen and that was for the least expensive room. Check it out!

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check this hotel out, how did you get there from the airport?

Hi everybody, we are sailing in may too. realant sailing with you. i looked a little bit yesterday .hotel piave looked charming although it was 229. also i put a star by hotel locanda silieri and it was 0nly 126,but i can't remember what it looked like. ithink i'll write down the ones that look nice and still keep looking. i can't wait till my pocket translator and money conversion calculator comes.

Not to get off subject but I put a $$ conversion guide on my BlackBerry for my last European Travel and it was SOOO easy to whip out and put in a price. It would come back with the current conversion rate instantly. You can use it both ways.. Great when traveling in different countries with different currencies.. Now let's find a great Venician Hotel !!

Thanks! Looks beautiful !!! What was your favorite room there? and which one did you have? Can you arrive to the property via the canals?

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check this hotel out, how did you get there from the airport?

We took Alilaguna from the cruise port to San Marco and walked from there to the hotel, probably 15 minutes dodging tourists! Then we took Alilaguna from San Zaccharia (one stop past San Marco) to the airport. The hotel owner wanted to help us wheel our bags to the Alilaguna stop--we wouldn't let him!

I believe if you were in a private water taxi you could get very close to the hotel as a canal runs right in front of it, but we are too cheap. I still remember the beautiful grey silk walls and the enormous bathtub!

Also they let us leave our bags there all day at no charge; we headed for then airport about 8 that night--worked out great.

Good luck

Cathy

Don't know if this is the same that Cathy is talking about, but you go to your nearest water taxi stop (don't remember the Italian name for these but they are more like buses, not the boats that are like taxis) and for a few euros they will take you to Piazza Roma, which is the bus terminal. Depending on your hotel location and luggage, it might also be possible to walk to Piazza Roma. From Piazza Roma, take the #5 bus to the airport, again just a few euros. From a transportation and airport standpoint, Venice isn't all that big, its easy to find the correct stuff. Where you get lost is the little streets - get a map as soon as you can when you get there. Luggage is a big issue in getting around Venice - we ditched most of ours at our Rome hotel and used backpacks, so if you can do any storage of cruise luggage, do that.

Hotels- don't worry about all these websites showing no availability, you are just too far out. If it makes you feel better, check availability for this October, it will give you a better idea of what availability and prices will be like next year. Also, I would place some importance on your hotel being within walking distance of St. Marks. At night, the best experience in Venice is strolling around St. Marks square, listening to the several cafe orchestras which take turns playing.

We stayed at the La Locandiera http://www.lalocandiera-ve.com/index.htm this past September. It's on a little square about mid-way between San Marco and the Rialto. Everything about this little gem was just fabulous. Looking forward to returning there sometime soon.

Hi Mike and Linda,

I am looking at this one. Any particular room you would recommend?

Still looking for others finds!

Nancy

In Venice there are great hotels and B&Bs located throughout the city. The only really importance to location would be that the hotel should be near a vaporetto (water bus) stop OR have its own dock for a private water taxi. Ca Angeli has both.

It does not have a garden or courtyard but the living room overlooks the Grand Canal and some rooms have balconies.

Al Ponte Mocenigo is not in the area you seem to want but it has a courtyard for breakfast and is much less expensive than Ca Angeli. The area is very Venetian with a lovely square nearby where you'll find a local grocery store, trees, and children playing. There are great restaurants nearby too.

Like many hotels in Venice, it does not have an elevator. Your bags will be carried to your room but if walking a flight or 2 or stairs is a bother to you then consider another hotel.

I agree with Al Ponte Mocenigo for a choice. It's at the San Stae vaporetto stop, no bridges to cross with luggage, and extremely short walk. They have 4 rooms downstairs, so you need not walk upstairs. The owners and their staff are very kind and helpful. Breakfast in the courtyard is great. It's a short walk to Rialto.

Archived