luggage with seat

LindaKE

Somewhere I saw luggage that was advertised as providing a seat for long waits. Since I can't stand for long periods, I was curious about it. I must be using the wrong words when I do a search because all I can find now is a carry-on that can add a seat to the handle. I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm remembering. Has anyone used this type of luggage? Is it any good?

0191218AE01UC13267M.jpg

Here in the UK I bought one of these from my local Pound store, it's very small and light. It might be cheaper to add this into your carry on bag than it would be to spend over $200 on a case that "can be sat on in a pinch"

There are walking sticks that come with fold out seats too if that would be of help to you when walking and needing a bit of a rest.

For airports and waiting to board the ship call ahead and ask for a wheelchair to be provided for you. You'll probably find they can offer to transport you in one of those golf buggy type things all the way to your departure gate.

What would you call one of those stools? Do they fold into some sort of carrying case? I wondering if I'd be allowed to take it onboard a plane or if it would have to count as my carry-on. Thanks.

What would you call one of those stools? Do they fold into some sort of carrying case? I wondering if I'd be allowed to take it onboard a plane or if it would have to count as my carry-on. Thanks.

This would certainly count as a carry-on if it didn't fit in the bag you had. Dimensions for this stool aren't given, but I cannot imagine hauling this around in an airport.

I would certainly recommend arranging for a wheelchair at the airport if you are going to have difficulties. You will be able to go to the front of the security line with it. The stool won't do that for you.

We just flew LAX to Baltimore on United, with a cane seat. (I can't get a picture here, but posted a link). We were not sure if we could carry them on the plane, so put on a luggage tag in case we had to check them. Because they were medical devices, we were allowed to carry them on the plane, and the flight attendant put them in her closet because we didn't actually need them on the plane, just in the airport and walking. And they did not count as our carry-on. We each had our purses and a carry-on bag as well as the cane-seat. They are lightweight and we sure used it alot in our 10 days trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Deluxe-Folding-Black/dp/B002VWJYT8

My friend, who was suffering from varicose veins at the time of our trip, took one of those cane seats. She loved it and everything who saw it told her how smart she was.

I've seen the ones you are talking about. It's actually part of the carry-on.

Go to:

Magellans the other poster provided, look for "wheeled luggage" and "view all".

It's there toward the bottom of the page. It's called a "sittin bag" for $155.

There is a similar discussion on the 'Disabled Cruisers' forum on CC.

For your general information the cane seats are banned by most museums for a number of reasons including the fact that people have fallen off of them.

Here's one on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Chair-Slacker/dp/B0019LBWOW/ref=reg_hu-wl_mrai-recs Has a shoulder strap and is very light <2lbs

Here's a little more fancy (has a back). http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Chair-Ultimate-Slacker-Stool/dp/B0019L8J0C/ref=pd_sim_sg_1 Same thing with shoulder strap but the back brings the weight up to a little more than 2lbs

both very inexpensive <$30.00

Here's one on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Chair-Slacker/dp/B0019LBWOW/ref=reg_hu-wl_mrai-recs Has a shoulder strap and is very light <2lbs

Here's a little more fancy (has a back). http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Chair-Ultimate-Slacker-Stool/dp/B0019L8J0C/ref=pd_sim_sg_1 Same thing with shoulder strap but the back brings the weight up to a little more than 2lbs

both very inexpensive <$30.00

They are half the cost of WalkStool but they also only hold half the weight. The Slacker Chair holds max 275 lbs and Walk Stool holds max 475 lbs. I do not need the heavier weight bearing but if my DH sneaks it away then I need the heavier weight bearing as he is 250 and that's too close to the 275 limit. If you don't need the heavier weight bearing, then I would definitely go for the Slacker Chair, it's nice looking.

For the sake of your fellow airline passengers, either spend the money for one of the pieces of luggage that is actually made to sit on or get the wheelchair.

PLEASE DO NOT get one of those "stool" things and open it up in the TSA security line. It slows down the entire line and people get REALLY po'd. Saw this about a month ago at LAX and thought there was going to be a riot in the security line. TSA finally came out and told the guy to put the thing away and DO NOT open it up in the line again.

Ask for the wheelchair at the airport. We will all be happier.

For the sake of your fellow airline passengers, either spend the money for one of the pieces of luggage that is actually made to sit on or get the wheelchair.

PLEASE DO NOT get one of those "stool" things and open it up in the TSA security line. It slows down the entire line and people get REALLY po'd. Saw this about a month ago at LAX and thought there was going to be a riot in the security line. TSA finally came out and told the guy to put the thing away and DO NOT open it up in the line again.

Ask for the wheelchair at the airport. We will all be happier.

They are not considered aids for the disabled and can be banned.

The stool I posted is only small, it can fit in a carry on bag no problem or even a shoulder bag to take with your on port days. I'd guess ours weight less than a 1lb.

The Magellan one with telescopic legs would be even better as it's a higher seating position.

I'd not use either in line either, what I would do is talk to the people behind me in line and ask if they minded if I took a seat off to one side while my husband queued and explain I could not stand for long periods, then I would rejoin him when he was nearly at the front of the line. That's if you can't find a wheelchair to borrow.

The walking canes are the other thing I talked about, but I don't know if they can be fitted into a carry on bag or shoulder bag for port days.

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/index.php?p=product&products_id=460&cid=44 is about the equivalent of $30, a walking stick that folds out into a stool when you need a rest.PR30149StickSeat.jpg

Only you know how often you would need to use it. :)

Somewhere I saw luggage that was advertised as providing a seat for long waits. Since I can't stand for long periods, I was curious about it. I must be using the wrong words when I do a search because all I can find now is a carry-on that can add a seat to the handle. I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm remembering. Has anyone used this type of luggage? Is it any good?

http://www.zuca.com/

Last year I bought the Zuca Pro--it was the best money I've spent on luggage! It looks odd but it can fit in the overhead bin on a plane (not the Zuca Sport so don't get that one if you're flying), is very easy to maneuver, & it can bear the weight of up to 300 lbs! Unfortunatly it only comes in black right now. The Sport model comes in various colors/patterns but is not carryon size.

I have used it as a table while waiting in airports and have my own seat if the waiting area is full. ;)

Hi Linda,

This link will take you to Zuca luggage. We have them and they will hold more than 350 lbs. You can design your own frame and luggage colors to make it your very own.

We have two and love them............They are good if your plane will gate check because they do not fit in the overheads or under the seat........we tried! It got stuck and I had to have a nice looking male passenger help me un-stick it and then had to ask the flight attendant to store it for us in first class.....she was not very happy.

We have found that only regional jets gate check so depending where we are going we sometimes that these and sometimes take larger regular checked luggage.

Have fun looking at the site.

Lin

Last year I bought the Zuca Pro--it was the best money I've spent on luggage! It looks odd but it can fit in the overhead bin on a plane (not the Zuca Sport so don't get that one if you're flying), is very easy to maneuver, & it can bear the weight of up to 300 lbs! Unfortunatly it only comes in black right now. The Sport model comes in various colors/patterns but is not carryon size.

I have used it as a table while waiting in airports and have my own seat if the waiting area is full. ;)

THAT is really cool luggage. Thanks for posting it. This would be ideal for my flights on the military air flights I take in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those Air Force/Army guys make the airport baggage handlers look like professional glassware movers. Luggage has to be "Army Strong" to survive. I am sick of having to pack in a duffle bag and backpack. My stuff is always a wrinkly mess and carrying all my crap is too much a lot of times. Thanks again.

I'd not use either in line either, what I would do is talk to the people behind me in line and ask if they minded if I took a seat off to one side while my husband queued and explain I could not stand for long periods, then I would rejoin him when he was nearly at the front of the line. That's if you can't find a wheelchair to borrow.

In an airport security line, this is STILL a very bad idea. You can't speak to everyone in the line and those entering the line later will be PO'd to say the least and not understand what you are doing. First, TSA/security in most airports will not allow you to "hover" around the outside of the line-you either get in line or you don't. Second, if the line is long, you would still have to walk past everyone in the line to get to the front-this will slow the line down considerably. Third, if you walk up to the front of the line to join your husband, almost guaranteed RIOT.

May work waiting in a line at an amusement park or on an excursion. GUARANTEED to cause problems and bad blood in the airport. Get the wheelchair-make arrangements in advance.

Thank you everyone. I'll be getting a wheelchair at the airport and another on board. I was trying to decide what to do till I get to the wheelchairs. We've decided to take my wheeled walker (has a seat) also so I won't be caught in unexpected lines with nothing to sit on.

Thank you everyone. I'll be getting a wheelchair at the airport and another on board. I was trying to decide what to do till I get to the wheelchairs. We've decided to take my wheeled walker (has a seat) also so I won't be caught in unexpected lines with nothing to sit on.

Depending on the airline, MOST will meet you at the car/outside with a wheel chair. Arrangements MUST be made in advance with the airline.

THAT is really cool luggage. Thanks for posting it. This would be ideal for my flights on the military air flights I take in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those Air Force/Army guys make the airport baggage handlers look like professional glassware movers. Luggage has to be "Army Strong" to survive. I am sick of having to pack in a duffle bag and backpack. My stuff is always a wrinkly mess and carrying all my crap is too much a lot of times. Thanks again.

Just make sure you get the Pro model--it is FAA carry-on compliant. The Sport model, although has more color and pattern variety, is not. Thank you for what you do!

Just make sure you get the Pro model--it is FAA carry-on compliant. The Sport model, although has more color and pattern variety, is not. Thank you for what you do!

I know this is directed to greatam. Are you thanking her for sharing her extensive and very helpful travel knowledge?

I know this is directed to greatam. Are you thanking her for sharing her extensive and very helpful travel knowledge?

I took that dobiemom thinks I am in the military. No, I am not. I want to correct that immediately. I am a US government contractor that does international logistics planning for the military bringing food to our soldiers fighting the Wars. I put a lot of time on the ground making sure they get what they need.

I thank everyone of them I come in contact with every day for keeping me safe both overseas and in the USA. They work extremely long hours under sometimes horrendous conditions (thank you General McChrystal for taking away everything that was "homelike" in Afghanistan-Starbucks, Carl's Jr., Pizza Hut, the extra internet cafes, the extra little shops owned/run by the locals, the Oasis (a kind of daily R & R center), etc. etc.). The soldiers now have a MUCH harder row to hoe. They deserve all the kudos we can give them and all the support. McChrystall is a true A***.

Gus Pagonis-Desert Storm/Desert Shield Logistics General-put into place all the nice "homelike" stuff to make it a little easier on our kids fighting to save our butts. Those ideas were continued through Iraq and under General Petreas in Afghanistan. NOW, they are being taken away by this latest General.

If you want some interesting reading, check out this book-"Moving Mountains" by General Gus Pagonis. Tells how we REALLY fight wars today-soldiers fight, US government contractors provide everything else from cooking, cleaning, installing FOB's (Forward Operating Bases), laundry, primary transport for everything except ammo and weapons, and all the sundry things the military had soldiers do during Vietnam (my era).

Thanks again, dobiemom for the high five. But give it to the kids who REALLY deserve it. I am just an old lady making sure they get the food they need when they need it.

Archived