Any last minute advice?

We are just one week away from taking the kids to grandparents before heading out for our first cruise, celebrating our 10th anniversary. Can't wait! We'll be on Ecstasy out of Galveston, stopping in Progresso (where we've booked an excurstion to some Mayan ruins) and Cozumel (where we've booked the day at Nachi Cochum).

I've learned so much on these boards. Thanks! Any last minute suggestions or advise would be most appreciated!

The most important is HAVE FUN!!!! and another is to make sure that everyone has the ability to go their own way and do what they want to do on the ship. It is a vacation for all of you so do allow everyone to have a great time, and if that means hanging out with the other family, then so be it.

One other, the food will be plentiful, so you need not go overboard! They feed you well and you never have to worry about food and eating!!!!! YOu just have to see the posts about weight gain.

Enjoy!

Since you say it'll be just you and your husband on your 10th anniversary vacation.....just enjoy each other and don't worry about those at home!

It may be the best trip you've ever had. The first cruise is exciting. Read your daily newsletter that will be in your cabin every evening. It has all the info for the next day activities. I've seen so many posts from folks who said "I didn't know....." Well, it's all in the newsletter.

Enjoy every minute. If some little thing aggrevates you or upsets you, just get over it! This will be a very short time in your lives and you should not allow anything to ruin this anniversary.

Bon Voyage!:)

Since you say it'll be just you and your husband on your 10th anniversary vacation.....just enjoy each other and don't worry about those at home!

It may be the best trip you've ever had. The first cruise is exciting. Read your daily newsletter that will be in your cabin every evening. It has all the info for the next day activities. I've seen so many posts from folks who said "I didn't know....." Well, it's all in the newsletter.

Enjoy every minute. If some little thing aggrevates you or upsets you, just get over it! This will be a very short time in your lives and you should not allow anything to ruin this anniversary.

Bon Voyage!:)

I agree. Manypeople don't know that the flap with the itineray on it is perforated for easy tear off. tear it off and carry it around with you at all times.

We are just one week away from taking the kids to grandparents before heading out for our first cruise, celebrating our 10th anniversary. Can't wait! We'll be on Ecstasy out of Galveston, stopping in Progresso (where we've booked an excurstion to some Mayan ruins) and Cozumel (where we've booked the day at Nachi Cochum).

I've learned so much on these boards. Thanks! Any last minute suggestions or advise would be most appreciated!

Just have a great time and enjoy EVERY single day! Our best to both of you.

I'm having a tough time finding one of those plastic water-proof money holders. Any idea where I could get one? I've tried our WM, Target, Academy and Walgreens. Is it just a beachy tourist town thing?

What's better for holding open the balcony door- door stop or bungee cord?

When on a beach excursion (we're doing Nachi Cochum in Cozumel), do you feel safe leaving your bag on the chair?

Most important have fun. Don't worry about anything at home, relax and soak up every minute.

Take tons of photos, bring extra batteries and memory cards. You can always delete a photo at home but it is expensive to go back and take it again.

If you see something you want to buy for your kids, buy it, (within reason).

And don't over pack, each time we say we won't do it and each time we do.

Have Fun

Have Fun

Have Fun

Bungee :)

When on a beach excursion (we're doing Nachi Cochum in Cozumel), do you feel safe leaving your bag on the chair?

Yes, felt very safe. NC is lots of fun and not overcrowded.

Enjoy every minute of your cruise!!!

JoAnn

Only one suggestion! Take ME!!:D Make sure you take a hat for the day at the Ruins...not a lot of shade and it gets very warm! When I sail from Galveston, I always go to the back of the ship, as its always a lot of fun to watch the dolphins playing in the wake of the ship!

If you have the toll reader for DFW it will work in the Houston area...

So, here goes:

In the Woodlands take the Hardy Toll Road to the Beltway 8 Toll Road

Turn back east and follow the tollway around the east and south side

Take I-45 South from the tollway.

If 45 South is sluggish take the first exit and run the access road down 2 entrances.

Enter the freeway again after the Ellington Field overpass and get to the left lane as soon as possible

As you approach the causeway watch the speeds closely :)

If you are staying in the Bay Area or even in Galveston the night before arrive at the terminal by 10:30 or so. Drop all your luggage and everyone except the driver at the terminal.

Tip the porter and your luggage is off to the ship

Take your family in the cool terminal while your spouse parks the car, use cell phones to link up.

Progresso is a curious little town time forgot. Take the FREE bus down the pier and walk around the market. The beach is about 4 blocks away.

If you arrive in Galveston late on embarkation day don't get in the long line at the light to turn into the cruise terminal on Harborside Drive.

Go over one block to Strand Ave and come back the other direction on 19th street. This will save you at least 10 min wait.

Go see the coins at the base of the ships mast. A seafarer story is behind them.

Rambling... sorry.

1) Have fun

2) Let LOVE lead you and your husband on your cruise.

3) Let no little hicup upset your cruise..stay POSITIVE!!!!!

4) EAT, DRINK and BE MERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS ON YEAR NUMBER 10!!!!!!!!!!

Keep a positive attitude, and don't let the "small stuff" ruin the day, or your vacation.

As noted above, read the "FunTimes" each evening, and take a highlighter to note the things you'd like to do. Don't feel pressured to do everything however. If you wear yourself out doing everything, it isn't much of a vacation, IMO.

Also, if you leave things out that you would like to do, then you have an EXCELLENT excuse to book your next cruise when you get home! ;)

Bon Voyage

"SKY"

if you are looking for the hard case hinged plastic cases on a lanyard, they have them at a boat store. You can also wait and get one on the boat. We each use one and they are handy. You put your sea pass and drivers license in them along with the cash you take to spend...clamp them down and everything stays dry. Some times we hang them around our neck, but when we try and look not so touristy, we keep them in a pocket with the string tied around a belt loop.

We got back from an anniversary cruise in February. It was a little weird at first not having our son around, but then it became very liberating. There are so many couples on board that are doing the same thing...kind of fun to talk to each other....like we were all getting away with something lol.

Enjoy your selves and don't worry about your kids! We took a cruise for our 15th anniversary last Fall and were gone 9 days. The longest we had been away from our kids before that was 4 days, but they were absolutely fine. Had a few squabbles with Grandma but they survived ;) . We'll be doing it again in December! It was so awesome hanging out with my husband without any obligations. We did bring a laptop and purchased internet minutes to keep in touch with the kids and grandma by email. Worked great for us. I am hoping we can leave the laptop next time and use my iTouch for email.

Have fun and cherish your time together!

If you have the toll reader for DFW it will work in the Houston area...

So, here goes:

In the Woodlands take the Hardy Toll Road to the Beltway 8 Toll Road

Turn back east and follow the tollway around the east and south side

Take I-45 South from the tollway.

If 45 South is sluggish take the first exit and run the access road down 2 entrances.

Enter the freeway again after the Ellington Field overpass and get to the left lane as soon as possible

As you approach the causeway watch the speeds closely :)

If you are staying in the Bay Area or even in Galveston the night before arrive at the terminal by 10:30 or so. Drop all your luggage and everyone except the driver at the terminal.

Tip the porter and your luggage is off to the ship

Take your family in the cool terminal while your spouse parks the car, use cell phones to link up.

Progresso is a curious little town time forgot. Take the FREE bus down the pier and walk around the market. The beach is about 4 blocks away.

If you arrive in Galveston late on embarkation day don't get in the long line at the light to turn into the cruise terminal on Harborside Drive.

Go over one block to Strand Ave and come back the other direction on 19th street. This will save you at least 10 min wait.

Go see the coins at the base of the ships mast. A seafarer story is behind them.

Rambling... sorry.

Thanks! I love the little tidbits like this! I actually grew up in Dickinson, so I know the insanity that is I45.

Just one piece of advice: Watch out for the hot peppers in Progresso!

My wife and I really loved our stop in Progresso -- we were blown away by the length of the pier (measured in MILES from the ship to the shore!) and were really excited about the deal all the bars along the beachfront had -- unlimited free appetizers as long as you bought a drink -- so we went bar hopping!

The last place we stopped brought us several appetizers with our margaritas, including a dish of frijoles with what I thought was a slice of avocado in the middle. So without giving it any thought, I popped it onto a tortilla chip and put it in my mouth. Within milliseconds, I knew what I had done -- and so did every waiter in the place -- who immediately descended on our table with everything liquid they could bring -- milk ... soda ... you name it -- meanwhile, I was finding it extremely difficult to breathe.

Anyway -- you get the point -- watch out for those peppers masquerading as avocado slices!!

I'm having a tough time finding one of those plastic water-proof money holders. Any idea where I could get one? I've tried our WM, Target, Academy and Walgreens. Is it just a beachy tourist town thing?

Don't know if you have found a solution of not, but in the boating section of walmart they carry 2 kinds of waterproof iPhone/mp3 lanyard type cases for $14. Even if you do not use them for electronics they work really well for things you want to keep dry :)

Here is what I am talking about: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/waterproof-cell-phone-and-gps-case

Also look around at your local camping supply stores as they probably several options as well:cool:

Have fun!

Archived