Luv to Travel's Med Cruise Report, Part 1: Research, Preparation & Packing

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the accolades!

I have not traveled in a few years as I've been busy making and having babies, but this year, we are planning a cruise to the Eastern Med (without the babies!). I was back on the boards tonight doing research for my next trip when I stumbled upon the report I wrote from my 2002 Western Med trip! I'm glad to know it's STILL around and helpful. That's great! I bet much of the information is still valid and hope we can keep this report close to the front page of the website.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips.... I read your report in March 2005 and printed it out because we have always wanted to cruise the Med.

Well it is finally happening :D We are traveling on B2B Med Cruise on the Brilliance in Sept-Oct 2007. 24 nights with an amazing variety of ports... We are very excited and your report has helped just gathering your insight and experiences..

Thanks

Really enjoyed the trip report- we're about to do the Mediterranean cruise and will stop in many of the same places, so this has been very helpful.

Just two notes to add- often the best restrooms in Europe are in McDonald's- seems to be part of the franchise contract. Go in, buy a cup of coffee or something and use the facilities- even on Sunday when everything else is closed.

Also, it's a mistake to equate what teenagers wear in Europe and what's acceptable for adults. Teenagers all over the world look pretty much the same these days, but adults in European cities dress better than most Americans do. The problem with tromping around in Nikes, jeans and baseball caps is that it makes you a target for bad treatment, getting ripped off, and pickpockets because you're obviously a tourist who is probably carrying around your spending money, passport and credit cards. Someone on one of these boards equated "tourist dress" to what happens when European men appear on American beaches in those tiny bathing suits- people look at them strangely and wonder why they don't conform to our customs when they're in our country.

Wow - that was an amazing review of your trip. I have printed it all out - my mom and I are going on the Grand Princess in September to Italy, Monte Carlo, 5 Greek ports and Ephesus. Thanks for all your ideas and information. I have started a binder (I stole that idea from you) and I your review is the first thing in the book.

Extra thanks for the bathroom situation warning - I was actually watching Passport to Europe with Samantha Brown last week on the Travel Channel. She was in Florence and how to use the bathroom and went into great detail how awful it was.

Are you going to share some of the research that you are going on the Eastern Med trip you are planning. I would love to see what you are planning for that trip.

Thanks again

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

we would like to do naples, amalfi, pompeii on our own but we are not so patient with mishaps. would you get a guide for the day? the language barrier and train problems alone would do me in! I admire you guys.

• 4 months later...

WOW! We just booked a Med cruise for Oct. '07 to celebrate my 30th birthday, and these reports are simply incredible. Thank you so much, Luv to Travel! I just finished reading and I cannot begin to tell you how much your details help us with the planning on our first European trip.

I agree-great review. We are booked on the Brilliance in May and go to the same ports as well as others. Haven't had time to read all of the review yet, so know what I will be doing tomorrow.

Trying to decide on pre cruise hotel so will look at the Hotel Continental Rambla.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.

Well, folks. That's it - all the reports from our Med Cruise in 2002. I doubt I can answer any questions now, because I don't remember much of the details anymore. Hopefully, your questions were answered by the reports, but please feel free to use this thread to share information with each other.

Wow!!

You have saved me so much work and time. Thank you!!! I will link your review in my review (now I just have to hit the highlights). Awesome review!!

Crusana

• 2 weeks later...

What a review. I just finished printing it out, all 61 pages. I haven't read it all yet but what I have looked at is great. We are sailing, from Barcelona, in May of 07 and I am just starting some research. You have given me a huge head start, thanks. Once again I am blown away by the people on these boards and their willingnesss to help fellow cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Dear Luv to Travel,

Thank you so much for your detailed report which I enjoyed reading so much:) . We ( family of 4 with two teenage daughters) are going on our first ever cruise on 29th Sept 2007, a 7 day Western Med cruise out of Barcelona and I am so excited. I have been reading these boards and found a link to your review. I read it - rationing myself to one cruise day's adventures each day. Each day I would look forward to reading the next days adventures :D . So thank you for all the details - I have made notes!! I cant wait till we go. Hope we have as much fun as you did.

Thanks, Aussiecruzer.

WOW! What an incredible report. Thanks so much for providing all this info for the rest of us. It will definitely make our planning so much easier. Plus I never named my DH's reluctance/sabotage of trips but now I can :) and hopefully providing him with all my research will help him overcome as well. Thank you!

WOW.............Great review and info!

I too am married to a "travel monster". I printed out your review and handed him the part to read about your husband and my DH got a good laugh. He is also a good sport about me "dragging" him on adventures and all my folders of research.

Thanks! :)

Archived