Best cabin location?

I need to know which is the best part of the ship to sleep in. My first cruise will be on a relatively small ship (Crystal Serenity) and I will book a PH cabin with twin-sized beds - I can't share a queen with my mom because of how I sleep and cheaper cabins are too small. So the only thing I can't decide when choosing a cabin is its location. What part of the ship is better: forward, midship, or aft? How important is this for the Serenity? Of course, I also want to know if port or starboard matters and which side is better. Also, I want to know how near or far from the public areas and how high above the sea is best. My goal is to book a cabin as soon as the 2012 itineraries are made available online so I can get one of the best PH cabins on the ship.

If you're looking for the most stabile area, midships, mid deck level is best.

Side of the ship doesn't usually matter, because the ship doesn't dock the same way or direction everytime.

Being near elevators and stairs is convenient....shouldn't have undue noise because of the location.

Get a copy of the deck plans for your ship and have them in front of you when booking, so you know what you're paying for!

I would likely select a PH on deck 10 rather than deck 11. I am not personally familiar with the Serenity, but if you are on deck 11, there is a pool above the forward PHs, though a cafe above the aft PHs. If you are in a forward PH, there is a chance (don't know the exact ship) that they will move deck chairs around either late at night or early in the morning, and on some ships that makes noise in the cabins below. In my experience, there is less moving of furniture in a cafe/restaurant, though it can happen. You won't have this issue if you are on deck 10.

All of the PHs have verandas (all cabins face the sea) so that doesn't matter and port or starboard makes no difference.

There is less pitching motion (bow and stern going up and down) amidships, and that is why the deck 10 PHs are the midship cabins.

Like a poster said earlier...the most stable area on the ship is usually amidships and on a middle deck. You get a lot less motion. The closer you are to the sea the more you feel it and if you are near the bow you get the motion of the ship cutting through the water. near the stern you get vibration from the engines. This observation is in my humble opinion.

Archived