what to buy in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau,and ISP

trishs

People were raving about the Salmon Jerky and other homemade Jerkey that was sold in Icy Straight Point. There's not much shopping there, so it's probably sold in the one building that has shops where you get off the tender.

There was also several stores in Ketchikan that give free samples of their smoked salmon and other canned spreads. So you can pick which one you like and buy it. There were several stores that sold nothing but that in Ketchikan.

Skagway is where we bought our Salmon Dog Treats. Our little 45 lb. dog loved them.

I also bought a Kitchen towel and matching oven glove in Skagway. It was a really good quality and I get to think of my trip to Alaska every time I use it in the kitchen.

Enjoy your cruise and your shopping.

I have read all the suggestions and they are all great! Did anyone see a store that sold native knitted items? I saw a special on the travel channel and now can't remember where it was.

Bobbi

Ooh. Are you talking about items made of quivet (inner hair of the musk ox)? Its expensive, but really amazing ... incredibly warm and so soft and light that it feels like the garment is made of smoke. Travel channel often goes for the amazing, so I figured it was possible. We're in California, so its hard to justify $245 for a scarf, but the shop is in Anchorage. http://www.qiviut.com/store/index.cfm?target=home&CFID=324700&CFTOKEN=82678248

People were raving about the Salmon Jerky and other homemade Jerkey that was sold in Icy Straight Point. There's not much shopping there, so it's probably sold in the one building that has shops where you get off the tender.

There was also several stores in Ketchikan that give free samples of their smoked salmon and other canned spreads. So you can pick which one you like and buy it. There were several stores that sold nothing but that in Ketchikan.

Skagway is where we bought our Salmon Dog Treats. Our little 45 lb. dog loved them.

I also bought a Kitchen towel and matching oven glove in Skagway. It was a really good quality and I get to think of my trip to Alaska every time I use it in the kitchen.

Enjoy your cruise and your shopping.

Great Ideas. Thanks so much. Does anyone know about the moccasins they are talking about on another thread? I think in ISP

We bought one of those photo albums, with the whole Alaska thing on it. It is sort of cheezy, but when we got home and put all the pictures in , it looks great on the coffee table. We bought the one with the leather cover. Friends of ours went also, and didn't buy it, when they saw ours, they were so sorry they didn't get it. they ended up ordering it over the internet and paid double. (You do need something to pput all those great pictures in)

Another great item to bring home are the Alaska dolls. If you have young girls to bring souveniers home to, these are great. We got some really good prices on some in Ketchikan. I'm glad we bought them there because in all the rest of the ports, they were a lot more expensive. And we had an 8 year old daughter and twin 15 year older daughters to buy them for, so we had to buy 3. All of them have them displayed in their rooms and love them. They're a little bigger than Barbies and are on a stand. They're dressed in Eskimo clothes. They made great souveniers. Be careful of the cheap totem poles in some of the touristy souvenier shops. My 10 year old son already broke his. So they are evidently made pretty cheap. And it may be worth it to spend the extra for a good one if you want it to last.

Hi there,

I have been reading your thread with interest. I love to shop, my DH hates, however on vacations he tolorates it. :D

Anyway, my question is:

Are the shopping areas in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, within walking distance of where the ships come in port and dock. I have some the Alaska travel books, but they don't really say much about distance etc.

Just courious. Also how much time do you think one needs to go through the shops, etc in these towns!

Thanks

Shopping in Juneau and Ketchikan starts across the street from the dock and Ketchikan's Creek Street (with lots of interesting shops) is easily within walking distance. The dock for Skagway is a bit outside of town itself ... a pretty easy walk and they have shuttles. Once in Skagway itself, shops are up and down Broadway - the main street.

We bought one of those photo albums, with the whole Alaska thing on it. It is sort of cheezy, but when we got home and put all the pictures in , it looks great on the coffee table. We bought the one with the leather cover. Friends of ours went also, and didn't buy it, when they saw ours, they were so sorry they didn't get it. they ended up ordering it over the internet and paid double. (You do need something to pput all those great pictures in)

Where did you get this? Were they everywhere?

Thanks!

Anything interesting to buy in Sitka? Any shops I shouldn't miss?

Sitka has a lot of Russian Heritage shops - like everywhere else, check the origins tags and/or ask - you don't want to be buying matrushka dolls made in China! You'll find the Russian stuff in other ports, but Sitka's generally got the best. Be certain to check out the Orthodox Catherdal and Bishop's quarters - nice, genuine orthodox icons.

In general in AK, I collect prints from local artists and have gotten several native carved items (a really cool 'moon face' charm carved from fossilized mamoth tusk). Move a few blocks in from the main street and away from the port and you'll find the better shops.

Just FYI for one of the earlier posters - they are not "eskimo" dolls, typically the dress that I've seen on those dolls is Inuit, there are other tribes as well. Talk to the shop keepers and get some information on what you are getting so that you can share some of the heritage with the folks to whom you are giving. Collectively, you may want to refer to them as Native American (or in Canada as First Peoples)

The Phot Albusm are everywhere. We ghad a coupon from one of the books they give out before we voarded the ship. We had coupons for basically everything, ulu knives, bear claws, photo albums, jewelry.

If your into T-shirts, they are EVERYWHERE and cheap. We bought some very nice sweatshirts for a very resonable price. I forgot the name of the coupon books but they are everywhere before you board.

We bought some beautiful ornaments in Skagway. I don't remember the shop but it was on the main street. They were made in Alaska and enamel on metal. There was a good variety of them. We bought bears, orcas, wolves, and moose. They looked great on everyone's Christmas trees.

Judy will weigh in I'm sure and if there were glass ornaments of any kind she will know. I did not see any. Juneau might have something, but we missed J.

I just wanted to tell everyone who plans to go to Carcross while in Skagway the the General Store and the gift shop at Caribou Crossing are worth a few minutes of shopping time. If you see something you like there, it will probable be less expensive and of higher quality than the same types of items in Skagway.

It is worth going to C just for the shopping? No.

Judy will weigh in I'm sure and if there were glass ornaments of any kind she will know. I did not see any. Juneau might have something, but we missed J.

I just wanted to tell everyone who plans to go to Carcross while in Skagway the the General Store and the gift shop at Caribou Crossing are worth a few minutes of shopping time. If you see something you like there, it will probable be less expensive and of higher quality than the same types of items in Skagway.

It is worth going to C just for the shopping? No.

Thanks for the shopping tip for Carcross. We are renting a car and will be stopping in Carcross. We heard its the journey not the destination. Trish

Be sure to check out the mile by mile highway guide, it is good. It also gives you links to all the good web sites like the Cinnamon Roll place. We are doing the rental car deal this year too and we will definately try the cinnamon rolls. My wife says we have to have lunch. I say that is lunch. She says whats for dessert and I say we could have pie at the Emerald Lake Lodge.