what to buy in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau,and ISP

trishs

When we went to Europe people had great suggestion on what to buy in places that were famous for things like olive oil, souvenirs etc. I was wondering if someone has found some great things, like smoked or caned salmon, or ayn other small items in Ketchikan Skagway, Juneau and Icy Strait Port. Trish

I'm not much of a shopper. Unless I'm really moved to buy something, my favorite souveniers are brochures and postcards that I put in a scrapbook with photos. Alaskan shops were pretty touristy, so that didn't help things. That being said, we bought these salmon treats for the pets (they loved them) and an ulu knife (which is great for chopping vegetables). There is some great native art (particularly in Ketchikan), but our purchases were smaller in this area. Our bigger purchases were things associated with our excursions (t-shirts from S.E. Alaska Kayaking and a vest from Northstar Trekking).

My coworkers now expect :) But I alway bring back plenty of Alaska Jack Candy bars- sold in Walmart the cheapest, but they have very nice artwork on the wrapper and are good and cheap. :) A little more money are the McKinley bars- just a beautiful picture of the mountain on the wrapper. I also have 2 editions of the Roadhouse cookbook, again cheapest in Walmart.

I can't believe I forgot to mention food! We picked up some great jellies/jams (salmonberry, huckleberry, spruce tip, etc.) But our best food buy was syrups from Birch Boy (sold in Haines and Skagway). I'm about to order some more of there blueberry.

Thanks so much! I wrote down all these and will put them on my list. And of course food is a must. The best olive oil and chocolate was in Nice and we just ran out of the olive oil and I'm so bummed. So I figured I wont make that mistake if Alaska.

Someone said in Ketchikan stop in "Good God" and ask for a sample of his Special Reserve smoked salmon. Does any one know if we can buy it there? Trish

If you are looking for some inexpensive gifts to bring back as souveniers, then the Ulu kniives are great. Some of the smoked Salmon was a big hit also.

One thing, if you buy any of the Ulu knives DO NOT CARRY THEM ON BOARD THE PLANE. They will be confiscated. You must pack them with your luggage and stowed. We learned the hard way, but because of a very nice attendant in anchorage, he let us gp back and retrive on bag and we were able to pack them. Most just get confiscated and are lost unless you can pack them and mail them home.

I also buy xmas ornaments at every port and trust me they have ornaments in every stop, mainly Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. My 3rd cruise to Alaska is coming up and thanks for the ideas on food. Never got that before just always ornaments.

Marilyn

While we don't buy major art purchases or expensive gifts, we always like to bring the grown kids, coworkers, dog sitter something back from all our trips and cruises. The ula knifes were popular purchases on our first trip along with Alaskan candy bars. We also bought the wooden bear claw salad tongs. With these things along with most others, there are different quality levels, and most of the port stuff is made in China, etc. There are strick labeling guidelines in Alaska for what is made there from local material and what is assembled, I think. We found both that were made in Alaska. The russian nestling buska dolls are big in Sitka.

We thought the shopping in Ketchikan was better than in any of the other Alaskan ports. There were very nice art galleries and jewelry stores. We saw some fabulous wooden/carved vases in Ketchikan - I am still regretting we did not buy one (it was our first port so I did not want to buy too many things right away). If you see something there you like, buy it! There are also many shops with less expensive items like christmas ornaments, postcards and shirts.

This is the discription on the web address listed above.

The ORIGINAL ULU has a solid curved blade (Type 1) and is patterned after the original ulu design used by Alaska Natives.

The INUPIAT ULU has a slightly larger handle. Its U-shaped blade (Type 2) design allows the user to wrap fingers completely around the handle when cutting.

Thanks Trish