what to buy in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau,and ISP

trishs

where are the walmarts in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan? That probably IS a good place to buy the best priced candy bars or maybe even a forgotten raincoat or umbrella!

Susan

I think your options are Walmart in Ketchikan or Fred Meyers in Juneau. I don't believe there are any Walmarts in Sitka or Juneau. We just got one in Fairbanks about a year ago.... it was a big Fairbanks event! ;)

I have a pair of "gold nugget" earings that I bought in Fairbanks, but they probably have them in alot of other places. You can get them in various sized nuggets. I have seen them from about $20 for the smaller ones.

where are the walmarts in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan? That probably IS a good place to buy the best priced candy bars or maybe even a forgotten raincoat or umbrella!

Susan

We just returned from Alaska today. I sure wouldn't have wanted to waste my valuable port time in a Walmart!

• 2 months later...

A friend at work bought these boxes in several different scenes for her collection. They're Russian (so is she) and she reminded me that the Russians have been coming to Alaska since the 1700's! She said there are lots of this type of souvenir in Alaska, including the Russian nesting dolls. Rather pretty and unusual.

http://www.russiangiftshop.com/shop/images/56_th.jpg[/img]"]56_th.jpg

• 7 months later...

We enjoyed the craft items and jewelry- hand made that we purchased at ISP. The moccassin lady is in the large building with other crafters and has items ready for sale or can be ordered. All of the crafters were fun to talk to and native to the area.I just wanted to patronize the locals! There are at least 2 shops in Hoonah- a short bus ride down the road

Two cruisers-

I have a 10 year old girl that will be with us when we cruise. I have already mentioned to her that I would like to get her a doll while in Alaska and she is excited also. Do you remember the name of the store where you got yours? And pricing?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Wonder what the government does with its extensive collection of confiscated ulu knives.

hey, brought two of the keychain ulu knives onboard and they just have you fill out a form, confiscate it and ask you to pick it up on a certain day between 3-6pm. it will have your room # on it and your name and what it is taped up with the green slip they make you fill out. had no problems getting all my "weapons" back though :)

We thought the shopping in Ketchikan was better than in any of the other Alaskan ports. There were very nice art galleries and jewelry stores. We saw some fabulous wooden/carved vases in Ketchikan - I am still regretting we did not buy one (it was our first port so I did not want to buy too many things right away). If you see something there you like, buy it! There are also many shops with less expensive items like christmas ornaments, postcards and shirts.

Hi all, just got back from all 3 of those ports and also port rupert. 1st of all, walmart there is not like here as we know it. There is only 1 walmart and they get a truck in every evening of what all the other States' stores have discounted , undersold or overstocked etc.:confused: Also, Northern Lights was in Juneau(200 Admiral way phone # 907-586-6286) and in Skagway.

All the stores like the Alaska Shirt Co and The Trading Co, Northern Lights and all those great stores to visit are right in your itinarary or newsletter for the events happening the next day that they drop off every evening at your cruise door or put on your pillow after cleaning the room. Just read the "Freestyle Cruising" Newsletter and it gives street by street instructions of how to get to mose of the stores listed in it.;) At least our cruise did. BTW, the Northern Lights Co also had blown glass things as well, cant remember if they were ornaments or not, never thought to collect those but great idea now. I get to know alittle about each port Im visiting, like Kethcikan is known for their totems so I got one with a great meaning, Skagway had the yukon nad white pass train so I got a plaaque since my hubby here in TX works for the railroad, and the Juneau port- well we went thru the passage and saw the glaciers and 2 whales and some porpoises swimming next to each other . So I found a store where they carved the whale on a whale bone shaped like large fish hook and he signed it- since we seen so many during that Juneau cruising to the passage.

Also a great place to visit is Del Sol and theyre at all 3 ports- only because i have 3 children, i say this. But they have the items that change colors in the sun! Little rings and hair clips or headbands or kids watches, t-shirts and the sort. Bring your newsletter too! when I did, theyd give you a free tote that also changed colors in the sun-even the bags do too! A great gift to send home to family are the "messages in a bottle" they change colors, the itmes in it change colors and include a scroll inside to write your letter or note. you can re-seal it with the re-sealable tape on the bottle and it even has the label on it to mail it off. it was .67 cents.

Just wanted to offer suggestions, and NO the salmon that comes in the can, pack or the gift envelopes at the general stores dont have to be refrigerated(and the gift envelopes can be mailed off too ;)

Have a great trip! hope to go back soon! its just too expensive for a family of 5!!

I just returned from Alaska (review a work in progress) and found necklaces of grey beads "created from minerals found in Alaska" at the Alaska Shirt Store in Juneau. They were $7 and were hanging on an endcap along with bracelets. Also got candy, tea, northern light candles and glacier soap.

Tucker in Tecas

Another great item to bring home are the Alaska dolls. If you have young girls to bring souveniers home to, these are great. We got some really good prices on some in Ketchikan. I'm glad we bought them there because in all the rest of the ports, they were a lot more expensive.

Do you happen to remember the name/location of the shop? My daughter is 10 and an Alaskan doll is at the top of her list!! Thanks

This will be my first Alaska cruise, but I've been told:

Skagway has great shopping on Broadway. Russian nesting dolls, blades of all kinds, jewelry, blankets. Juneau is supposed to have the best bargains, including a wonderful soap called Glacier Smoothies. Ketchikan has the best indian crafts (pine needle baskets, bone carving, wood carvings). My cruise is in September, and a lot of things will be on end-of-season sales.

Jeane

I collect thimbles, so that makes my souvenirs easy. In Ketchikan I bought a thimble with a tiny gold nugget on top. Also bought an Eskimo Doll for my granddaughter, but ended up keeping it myself. Then in Juneau was looking for a photo album and having a really hard time finding one, then one of the shop keepers directed me to a photo shop that had some beautiful albums. It is only about 6 X 9 inches with a beautiful cloth Alaskan scene cover with a cloth "ALASKA" written across the top. Each page holds two photos. Then for all the folks back home, we picked up small totem pole magnets that say Alaska. They were really inexpensive and made nice souvenirs for co-workers and friends. Most of the souvenirs were cheaper in Juneau, maybe because it's bigger, I don't know. Have a great cruise and fun shopping, even if you don't buy!:p

I was in Alaska five years ago and brought back Reindeer Sausage for the folks at work. I haven't heard that mentioned - is it still available? It tasted like a spicier beef stick. Everyone loved it. I'm going to Alaska again in August and was planning on getting some more.

Salmon Etc. is a little salmon shop on Mission St. just 1/2 block from the dock in Ketchikan (across the street from Ketchikandies). They sell salmon that is processed at Silver Lining - a cannery that is about 1 mile from the dock. There you can get canned, vacuum packed or even order fresh salmon to be shipped to your home.

Okay, for all of you buying that canned smoked salmon. Try this: A trisket or Wheat Thin with a little cream cheese, add some jalapeno or habanero pepper jelly, top with smoked salmon - TO DIE FOR!!!

My step-daughter's boyfriend turned us on to this one. He has a small place in Alaska and smokes and cans his own salmon and makes his own habanero jelly. Gotta love that boy and his Christmas presents!!!! :p