Surge Tap vs Power Strip

Picked this product up @ Lowes yesterday (Prime Surge Tap 840 joules) model #54732-10880 for less than $10.

054732108800lg.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_99398-66906-PB002115L_0_?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=3172677&Ntt=prime+surge+tap+840&N=0&langId=-1&y=5&x=20&storeId=10151&Ntk=i_products&ddkey=http:SearchCatalogDisplay

My thinking is this type of adapter (that is both a real "surge protector" w/$100K warranty & has 6, 3 prong outlets) would be easier to bring aboard smuggle:rolleyes: due to the shape (approx 4 X 5 X 1)?:confused:

Anybody have any success with this type?

80.jpgI picked this one up on ebay from the sugestion of another thread. I also saw one similar to it at walmatr yesterday. From the cabin pix that I have seen there is only one 115 volt outlet.

but does it tie to a single outlet or does it need a whole duplex receptical?

has one, three prong outlet on back & plastic stabilizer where the 2nd plug is located on standard wall socket...if only 1 socket is standard (uh oh) guess i'll snap off the stabilizer

off to find pic of outlet on the destiny will post back if i find it

it would effectively cover the whole outlet putting existing 2nd wall plug out of play...ok by me, 6 for 2;)

it's grounded type, where u have to slide the cover on the individual socket outlets.

im just hoping that fact that it's a 'real' surge protector vs the typical cheap power strips may just give it a pass if discovered

Picked this product up @ Lowes yesterday (Prime Surge Tap 840 joules) model #54732-10880 for less than $10.

054732108800lg.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_99398-66906-PB002115L_0_?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=3172677&Ntt=prime+surge+tap+840&N=0&langId=-1&y=5&x=20&storeId=10151&Ntk=i_products&ddkey=http:SearchCatalogDisplay

My thinking is this type of adapter (that is both a real "surge protector" w/$100K warranty & has 6, 3 prong outlets) would be easier to bring aboard smuggle:rolleyes: due to the shape (approx 4 X 5 X 1)?:confused:

Don't think it will work. You only have a single plug to use and at a odd

angle at that.

I tried one similar to this on the Liberty last month....and NOPE will not fit. Anything that has 2 or more recp.with grounds will not fit. I thought I would be saving space and instead wished I had taken the strip instead. Was not able to charge anything.

80.jpgI picked this one up on ebay from the sugestion of another thread. I also saw one similar to it at walmatr yesterday. From the cabin pix that I have seen there is only one 115 volt outlet.

This unit works perfectly on CCL ships. I have used it on the Valor, Paradise, Freedom and soon to be the Dream. Compact and does everything you need it to. Very easy to pass off as just another charger. The plug head rotates as well so it can accomodate any angle. Has 2 USB ports on it and 3 grounded A/C ports. Home Depot for $17.

552287.jpg

This unit works perfectly on CCL ships. I have used it on the Valor, Paradise, Freedom and soon to be the Dream. Compact and does everything you need it to. Very easy to pass off as just another charger. The plug head rotates as well so it can accomodate any angle. Has 2 USB ports on it and 3 grounded A/C ports. Home Depot for $17.

552287.jpg

I bought this a year ago and brought it along on my cruise in August, it work fantastically and can easily be tucked in a tote, purse or any carryon. The biggest plus is the rotating tongs so it will fit any angle and the usb ports. I got mine from www.officedepot.com for $13.

552287.jpg

That is what I also used on my recent Dream cruise. It work great and one of the better finds.

We were on the Destiny twice this year and both of our rooms had the outlet like the pic posted above except that it was right side up, meaning there isn't enough room for that box to fit.

41Mg6CLjRBL._SS500_.jpg

these are the best things ever. Its called a power squid and can be found all over with various plugs. I picked up like 5 of them at micro center once for 15 bucks and i am always using them. Plus they are very small, more compact and easy to travel then those belkin chargers i see everyone posting

phew, glad i posted:)

thinking that squid thing should work with the surge i purchased then?

probably will pick up the belkin posted too jik kiddo wants to take the laptop for DVDs

i've never read anybody report they had gear damaged aboard a ship via a power surge...i've had it happen @ home & now have a surge on all outlets with electronics hooked up

054732108800lg.jpg

I was on the Dream last month. My Steward provided an extension cord with multiple plugs. I needed for my CPAP machine. I plugged my Ipod in to charge and turned on the machine and the Ipod "Appeared" to stop charging. The change in current had an effect on it. I question how much current is available. :eek:

i went out to target & bought the smaller Belkin ($15), interestingly enough...when i compare the 2 next to eachother, the Belkin is only 1/3 less in size than the one i posted but seems slightly heavier.:confused:

im taking them both, figure if the bigger one doesn't fit, the belkin will (that's if they both make it thru security);)

thanks again for the good info! luv this board:D

552287.jpg

Yep, that's worked very well for us in the past. We also had a Phillips 3-plug w/USB that we brought with and both went through security on the Legend a few weeks ago.

Archived