Alaska Cruise experts please answer!

nhcruiser

The Marina is pretty much full of 20 and 30-somethings, young in their career and flush with money from their well paying jobs, and looking to flaunt that money. You'll quickly notice there's a Marina "type" for both males and females. They're definitely not your stereotypical "hippie liberal" San Francisco types. These are the kids that came out of their top tier colleges and are now working at investment banks and marketing firms. But... along with the young, "hip" element, you'll find a lot of great shopping and restaurants in the area. And lots of trendy spas and bars. If you're into the nightlife scene, this is the place to be. :)

As for more "historical" and/or educational sites, I'd suggest checking out the Palace of Fine Arts and the Exploratorium (especially if you have kids with you -- but I enjoyed going there a few years ago, even though I don't have kids yet). Fort Mason has a variety of museums and stuff, and frequently has plays and dance performances and other cultural events (check out their website to see what they have going on when you'll be there). The Marina Green is a nice area to stroll around, especially if the weather is good, and you can get some great views of the Bay and Alcatraz there. For shopping, check out Chestnut street... or head up a few more blocks to Union Street (which has a lot of great little boutique-y shops, including my favorite antique jewelry store, Dianne's, where DH bought my engagement ring).

And if you want to check out something that's totally Marina... go to the "Singles Safeway". There's a Safeway Supermarket in the Marina district, near Fort Mason, that is basically a "meat market" for the young, single Marina inhabitants to "shop" for a partner. It can make for some fun people watching sometimes. ;)

You're also not too far from some other interesting areas like the famous Lombard Street, Japantown, Ghirardelli Square (good for chocolate lovers), Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 (which are actually awfully touristy, so I wouldn't spend too much time there if you go).

Thanks for all your help with the SF area...I have a couple questions, if you wouldn't mind...Our DD is the Port and Shopping Guide on the Sea Princess for this Alaska season and we are going to be coming up next week to sail with her for the first time when she is a "staff" member of a cruise ship!!..so...1) Do you know of any other antique jewelry stores in the Union Square area...my favorites! 2) Restaurant suggestions for lunch and/or dinner in that area? 3) have seen Coit Tower from the outside many times but never been inside...is that worth a visit? 4) Places by the pier where the ship will be docked to meet DD for a quick lunch before boarding and 5) shops/stores etc. that DD might be interested in visiting (she is 31) in the short time she will have on the "turn-around" schedule while doing this "run" for the summer...eg...time between disembarkation and embarkation on the "change-over" day that she might have several hours off! Thanks for any help!! LuAnn

Thanks for all your help with the SF area...I have a couple questions, if you wouldn't mind...Our DD is the Port and Shopping Guide on the Sea Princess for this Alaska season and we are going to be coming up next week to sail with her for the first time when she is a "staff" member of a cruise ship!!..so...1) Do you know of any other antique jewelry stores in the Union Square area...my favorites! 2) Restaurant suggestions for lunch and/or dinner in that area? 3) have seen Coit Tower from the outside many times but never been inside...is that worth a visit? 4) Places by the pier where the ship will be docked to meet DD for a quick lunch before boarding and 5) shops/stores etc. that DD might be interested in visiting (she is 31) in the short time she will have on the "turn-around" schedule while doing this "run" for the summer...eg...time between disembarkation and embarkation on the "change-over" day that she might have several hours off! Thanks for any help!! LuAnn

Happy to help. :)

1. There's another great antique jewelry store (my second fave) right near Union Square* called Lang's Antiques (you can Google their website for their address). They're pricier than Dianne's though (and a little less willing to negotiate). However, they are very helpful and knowledgeable, and will let you try on just about anything. I'll stop in sometimes just to window shop, and they're always very accomodating.

*Keep in mind that Union Street and Union Square are two different places, and not within walking distance of each other. Union Square will be more heavily populated with toursits, and Union Street by locals. Also, Dianne's is on Union Street, not Union Square (that may have already been clear, but I'd hate to confuse you!)

2. There are a lot of restaurants in the Union Square area. If you want to splurge, I'd suggest Farallon (seafood restaurant with very good food and gorgeous decor); Michael Mina (get reservations well in advance, as this is one of the best restaurants in SF); Fifth Floor (another one of SF's top restaurants); or The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus. If you want something more budget friendly, check out the food court at the Westfield Shopping Center on the Bloomingdale's side (this is not your typical mall food court, and you won't see any chains like McDonald's or Sbarro here -- these are gourmet/local eateries; keep in mind there are some more "chain" type restaurants in the food court on the other side of the shopping center on the same level), Sears Fine Foods (very casual, but this is an old SF restaurant that is famous for their pancakes), or Cafe Madeleine.

3. Personally, I think Coit Tower itself is cooler to view from afar - particularly on a clear night, when it's lit up. However, it's worth heading up there for the views, which are spectacular. It gets busiest around sunset up there, because it's just so darn gorgeous then.

4. The pier is close to Pier 39, and a short walk to Fisherman's Wharf. For a quick lunch, I'd suggest hitting up one of the street stands that sells clam chowder in bread bowls, fresh crab, and other seafood. Boudin's is a local chain restaurant that has good quality food, and you can get sandwiches and salads there, along with clam chowder in a bread bowl. It's a very good choice if you're nervous about selecting amongst the various street stands.

If you have time for a further walk, then I suggest walking (or taking Muni) the opposite direction to the Ferry Building. There are tons of great local shops and eateries here. I work a few blocks away, and come here all the time to grab lunch, or local foods and products. I love Cowgirl Creamery, Stonehouse Olive Oil, Acme Bread, Imperial Tea Court, and Scharffen Berger Chocolate. There's also a great Farmer's Market on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. A great suggestion is to create your own picnic lunch with items from the shops in the Ferry Building, and then enjoy them outside along the pier. My fave restaurants there are Hog Island Oysters, Slanted Door (and their to-go option "Out the Door"), Market Bar, and Gott's Roadside. And if you want real local souvenirs (and not the typical tchotchkes) this is the place I'd recommend going.

5. Your daughter is about the same age as me (I'm 29). Some of my favorite places to shop are already mentioned: Ferry Building, Union Street and Chestnut Street, Union Square (and the Westfield Shopping Center a couple of blocks away). If you're heading up to Union Square, Chinatown is right next door. It's way too big to explore the whole thing on foot and with limited time, but you can certainly find lots to explore right near the southern gate that links Chinatown and the Union Square area. This gate is just around the corner from Lang's Antiques, too. :) If you'll be going to Coit Tower, then North Beach is another area to check out. There are lots of great restaurants (North Beach Pizza is very popular, and there are a lot of great Italian places), and lots of shops along Grant Ave. If she has more colorful/eclectic/ethnic tastes, then the Mission District offers lots of shops that might appeal. You can get there on BART (our subway system). It's heavily populated by Latinos, so there are a lot of really great taquerias in the Mission as well.

Happy to help. :)

1. There's another great antique jewelry store (my second fave) right near Union Square* called Lang's Antiques (you can Google their website for their address). They're pricier than Dianne's though (and a little less willing to negotiate). However, they are very helpful and knowledgeable, and will let you try on just about anything. I'll stop in sometimes just to window shop, and they're always very accomodating.

*Keep in mind that Union Street and Union Square are two different places, and not within walking distance of each other. Union Square will be more heavily populated with toursits, and Union Street by locals. Also, Dianne's is on Union Street, not Union Square (that may have already been clear, but I'd hate to confuse you!)

2. There are a lot of restaurants in the Union Square area. If you want to splurge, I'd suggest Farallon (seafood restaurant with very good food and gorgeous decor); Michael Mina (get reservations well in advance, as this is one of the best restaurants in SF); Fifth Floor (another one of SF's top restaurants); or The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus. If you want something more budget friendly, check out the food court at the Westfield Shopping Center on the Bloomingdale's side (this is not your typical mall food court, and you won't see any chains like McDonald's or Sbarro here -- these are gourmet/local eateries; keep in mind there are some more "chain" type restaurants in the food court on the other side of the shopping center on the same level), Sears Fine Foods (very casual, but this is an old SF restaurant that is famous for their pancakes), or Cafe Madeleine.

3. Personally, I think Coit Tower itself is cooler to view from afar - particularly on a clear night, when it's lit up. However, it's worth heading up there for the views, which are spectacular. It gets busiest around sunset up there, because it's just so darn gorgeous then.

4. The pier is close to Pier 39, and a short walk to Fisherman's Wharf. For a quick lunch, I'd suggest hitting up one of the street stands that sells clam chowder in bread bowls, fresh crab, and other seafood. Boudin's is a local chain restaurant that has good quality food, and you can get sandwiches and salads there, along with clam chowder in a bread bowl. It's a very good choice if you're nervous about selecting amongst the various street stands.

If you have time for a further walk, then I suggest walking (or taking Muni) the opposite direction to the Ferry Building. There are tons of great local shops and eateries here. I work a few blocks away, and come here all the time to grab lunch, or local foods and products. I love Cowgirl Creamery, Stonehouse Olive Oil, Acme Bread, Imperial Tea Court, and Scharffen Berger Chocolate. There's also a great Farmer's Market on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. A great suggestion is to create your own picnic lunch with items from the shops in the Ferry Building, and then enjoy them outside along the pier. My fave restaurants there are Hog Island Oysters, Slanted Door (and their to-go option "Out the Door"), Market Bar, and Gott's Roadside. And if you want real local souvenirs (and not the typical tchotchkes) this is the place I'd recommend going.

5. Your daughter is about the same age as me (I'm 29). Some of my favorite places to shop are already mentioned: Ferry Building, Union Street and Chestnut Street, Union Square (and the Westfield Shopping Center a couple of blocks away). If you're heading up to Union Square, Chinatown is right next door. It's way too big to explore the whole thing on foot and with limited time, but you can certainly find lots to explore right near the southern gate that links Chinatown and the Union Square area. This gate is just around the corner from Lang's Antiques, too. :) If you'll be going to Coit Tower, then North Beach is another area to check out. There are lots of great restaurants (North Beach Pizza is very popular, and there are a lot of great Italian places), and lots of shops along Grant Ave. If she has more colorful/eclectic/ethnic tastes, then the Mission District offers lots of shops that might appeal. You can get there on BART (our subway system). It's heavily populated by Latinos, so there are a lot of really great taquerias in the Mission as well.

I want to thank you for this great information on the SF area! I really enjoy visiting SF and your info will help me on a return visit. I haven't been in a few years but I'm looking at a repo cruise for Sept. Hope I get to use some of your info then!

NHsnowpup, what small town in New Hampshire are you from? We lived in Southern New Hampshire for thirty years before being re-located to the Dallas area five years ago.

Where? Oh. . I meant Weare :D Been a while since you played that game I bet.

Dani,

Absolutely terrific local insight! Much more detail than I had ever expected! We will take your advice before departure and after our cruise by staying in town a couple of days. Thank You!

Since we are traveling from our home in Dallas to San Francisco after work on Thursday we decided to stay at the Embassy Suites out by the airport that night and taxi in to the pier around 10 - 11AM Friday morning.

I think that we will check-in our luggage with Princess and head over to the Ferry Building that you suggested for a nice local lunch and some light shopping. Don’t want to get to far away on departure day. Would not want to miss the life boat drill…. Do you think that it is a walk able distance to the Ferry Building or should we hail a taxi?

You mentioned the Muni. The last time we were in San Francisco, back in 2000, we saw the Muni streetcars all decorated to look like the vintage versions, but we did not ride them. If the Muni runs along the waterfront maybe that would be a fun way to get over near the Ferry Building.

Once again, Thank you for all of your super effort to help us with your local knowledge!:)

BTW, I see the moderators have moved our thread over to the Ports of Call tab.

Dani,

Absolutely terrific local insight! Much more detail than I had ever expected! We will take your advice before departure and after our cruise by staying in town a couple of days. Thank You!

Since we are traveling from our home in Dallas to San Francisco after work on Thursday we decided to stay at the Embassy Suites out by the airport that night and taxi in to the pier around 10 - 11AM Friday morning.

I think that we will check-in our luggage with Princess and head over to the Ferry Building that you suggested for a nice local lunch and some light shopping. Don’t want to get to far away on departure day. Would not want to miss the life boat drill…. Do you think that it is a walk able distance to the Ferry Building or should we hail a taxi?

You mentioned the Muni. The last time we were in San Francisco, back in 2000, we saw the Muni streetcars all decorated to look like the vintage versions, but we did not ride them. If the Muni runs along the waterfront maybe that would be a fun way to get over near the Ferry Building.

Once again, Thank you for all of your super effort to help us with your local knowledge!:)

BTW, I see the moderators have moved our thread over to the Ports of Call tab.

The distance between the cruise port and the Ferry Building is walkable. Pier 35 and the Ferry Building are a little more than a mile apart. It's all flat terrain along the Embarcadero, and there are sidewalks the whole way.

Muni still has the vintage street cars, and they do run along the Embarcadero. You can easily catch one from up near the cruise terminal, and they stop right in front of the Ferry Building. Take the F Line in to get to/from the Ferry Building, and along the Embarcadero to the cruise port, Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. It's $2 now to ride. Be sure to get a transfer stub which will allow you to transfer to a different bus within 90 minutes for free (or even head back on the same line, as long as it's within 90 minutes).

I don't know why I didn't think of this until now... But, from the Ferry Building you can also walk a block up on Market Street (which runs perpendicular to Embarcadero, right where the Ferry Building is) and catch the historic and famous cable car trolley. This spot marks the beginning of the California Line, which runs through the Financial District and up to Nob Hill. It goes up a really steep hill, and provides some awesome views. There's also a cable car line (Powell Mason) that runs from Fisherman's Wharf down to Union Square and back, and passes through North Beach and by some of the Victorian row houses SF is famous for. There's also another line (Powell Hyde) that goes from Powell to Fisherman's Wharf, and covers some of the same territory as the Powell Mason, but veers off at one point to take you trough Russian Hill, past Lombard Street, past Coit Tower, and other places. It's $5 per person each way (so it's not cheap -- but it's a great way to get around and see a lot of sights).

Fabulous info!!! Thank you so much...you are a "peach"!!! This information will be just invaluable for us and for Tiffanie, DD on the Princess! And thanks for reminding me about the difference between Union Street and Union Square! I spent a lot of time in SF in the 70's because I had a SIL who lived right in the city, in one of those mansions that actually had a raised stage for the "orchestra"...if you can believe that!! :eek: Is Perry's still a good place...? I remember we used to go there for Bloody Mary's and Eggs Benedict on Sunday. Again, thank you so much! We are staying right off of Union Squsre so the restaurant info is helpful for there...any hints about good places in Chinatown?..we will want to hit there for lunch and/or dinner! LuAnn

Fabulous info!!! Thank you so much...you are a "peach"!!! This information will be just invaluable for us and for Tiffanie, DD on the Princess! And thanks for reminding me about the difference between Union Street and Union Square! I spent a lot of time in SF in the 70's because I had a SIL who lived right in the city, in one of those mansions that actually had a raised stage for the "orchestra"...if you can believe that!! :eek: Is Perry's still a good place...? I remember we used to go there for Bloody Mary's and Eggs Benedict on Sunday. Again, thank you so much! We are staying right off of Union Squsre so the restaurant info is helpful for there...any hints about good places in Chinatown?..we will want to hit there for lunch and/or dinner! LuAnn

In Chinatown, House of Nanking is always a favorite. R&G Lounge is also good. The Golden Gate Bakery has awesome Chinese pastries.

I'm not familiar with Perry's, as I've never been there. But I just Googled it, and it's definitely still around. :)

NHsnowpup,

Your area is one beautiful place!!

Thanks, nhcruiser. Our family moved here, thinking we would check out NH and pick the best spot to permanently settle. That was over 20 years ago. We have to remind ourselves that we live where so many people come for their vacations. The four seasons, the wildlife, the recreation choices and the natural area here is hard to beat, considering you can travel the entire state in any direction in less than one day. In our yard we have had turkey, bear, moose, deer, coyote, porcupine, raccoon, a snapping turtle nest, grouse, and something in the weasel family ran over my foot that I still haven't identified. We live on one of the dead end roads that leads down into the Clough/Everett Dam floodplain.

We are SO looking forward to the LARGE scale beauty of Alaska, and its own special variety of wildlife and scenery. The ravens will be glad to see me go here. They are tired of being stalked, as they are my "practice eagles."

Haines is the "sanity stop" for us on our cruise. Its topography looks different from most of the ports on the itinerary, and its personality definitely feels different from the others. I saw a review/visit of the one man brewery out at the fairgrounds in one of the buildings from the "White Fang" movie set. He looked kinda familiar, like he coulda been our first babysitter's husband's brother. Might just have to check it out when we are there and pick us up a growler, ;) even though I'm not a big beerhound.

Archived