Alaska Cruise experts please answer!

nhcruiser

We are booked on the August 20th Sea Princess cruise to Alaska. The final port was scheduled to be Skagway, Alaska on August 26th but has now been changed to Haines, Alaska. The last time we cruised to Alaska we stopped in Skagway and were both looking forward to visiting again.

We looked at the maps and it seems that Haines is southwest across the Chilkoot Inlet about 18 miles from Skagway. It appears that it is about an hour and a half ferry ride in each direction.

Since we have a Princess tour planned (White Pass Railroad) for Skagway, does anyone have first hand experience on how Princess handles the transfers to and from Skagway? Any thoughts on why the port may have changed? Any ideas of what Haines may offer in terms of things to see later in the day?

Last year we took a Eagle tour to Haines, it was one of the favorite spots for us, this year we are taking a ferry over to Haines just to walk around and enjoy the small town, There are alot of tours available also, Bike rentals and Jeep Tours. You can drive into Canada from Haines, bring your pass port with you. They have the worlds largest Hammer Museum (just something to add to never been to before list)

Google Haines AK and see what they have to offer you.

We are booked on the August 20th Sea Princess cruise to Alaska. The final port was scheduled to be Skagway, Alaska on August 26th but has now been changed to Haines, Alaska. The last time we cruised to Alaska we stopped in Skagway and were both looking forward to visiting again.

We looked at the maps and it seems that Haines is southwest across the Chilkoot Inlet about 18 miles from Skagway. It appears that it is about an hour and a half ferry ride in each direction.

Since we have a Princess tour planned (White Pass Railroad) for Skagway, does anyone have first hand experience on how Princess handles the transfers to and from Skagway? Any thoughts on why the port may have changed? Any ideas of what Haines may offer in terms of things to see later in the day?

Sorry that the port has been changed, but I'm sure that Princess will cancel all excursions in Skagway.

If Princess has listed excursions for Skagway even if you dock in Haines then Princess will ferry you over to Skagway from Haines for your tour.

I docked in Skagway and took a Princess Excursion over to Haines via a ferry. 45 minutes each way.

Reason why Haines is maybe Skagway may have large ships docking that day and Haines can't fit a large ship but the Sea Princess can fit.

Why is that? We are scheduled to be in Skagway on June 6.

The OP said that their port stop had been changed from Skagway to Haines. In that case I would think that they would offer excursions in Haines and cancel any excursions that had been scheduled in Skagway.

If Princess has listed excursions for Skagway even if you dock in Haines then Princess will ferry you over to Skagway from Haines for your tour.

I docked in Skagway and took a Princess Excursion over to Haines via a ferry. 45 minutes each way.

Reason why Haines is maybe Skagway may have large ships docking that day and Haines can't fit a large ship but the Sea Princess can fit.

As far as I can see, none of the Haines shore excursions go to Skagway...

We stopped in Haines last year and LOVED it! I had enough of t-shirts and jewelry. It was very beautiful. My mom took the tour by old-fashioned car and loved it. I walked around the old fort (having spent some time at Fort Riley, Kansas in high school) then I walked to town. My husband googled Haines and did his own hike which was the highlight of the trip for him. I you are looking for something other than "shop-ortunities", you should really enjoy it.

We are booked on the August 20th Sea Princess cruise to Alaska. The final port was scheduled to be Skagway, Alaska on August 26th but has now been changed to Haines, Alaska.

NH - How wer eyou advised of the change?

We are on the cruise before yours - departing 10th August - but are not aware of any changes for our itinerary. Thanks for any advice.

When we were on the Star Princess, it docked in Skagway and we took the ferry over to Haines to do an independent kayaking excursion at Chilkoot Lake. We had a great time. We were able to go farther and see more--plus the two of us had a guide all to ourselves and we paid less than we would have through the cruise line.

The ferry rides from Skagway to Haines and back were great. The scenery is beautiful. We saw a lot of wildlife, including whales.

Haines is great! Not as tourist-ie as Skagway.

The ferry to/from Skagway is wonderful: a memorable experience itself.

If doing the ferry independently be sure to verify the schedule, as there are only a few each day.

Also consider the tours that originate in Haines. Many of these are wonderful.

Go and enjoy! I would volunteer for Haines any day!

Although we docked in Skagway we took the evening wildlife excursion in Haines. This tour was a highlight of our cruise. We saw 5 huge brown bears snacking on salmon, over 100 eagles both adult and immatures, seals, otters and whales. We did a boat transfer from the dock in Skagway to Haines and then the tour on schoolbus type vehicles. It was wonderful.

Great info about Haines...we are booked on Sapphire for September 12 sailing. We are considering the tour through Princess to Haines and the Eagle preserve...it is quite pricey but due to the length of the trip and the ferry situation we are a little nervous going with a private tour...we will be in Skagway from 6a - 5p. Have any of you done this privately with that time frame?

We were on the Sun Princess many years ago (It's about time to go to AK again, isn't it?) and we rented a car for the day. We drove up to Whitehorse through some gorgeous scenery. It was cheaper than doing the train, which doesn't go as far. We will able to see the train tracks much of the time, but, on our own schedule, we could stop to take pictures. We had plenty of time to make it back to the ship.

Great info about Haines...we are booked on Sapphire for September 12 sailing. We are considering the tour through Princess to Haines and the Eagle preserve...it is quite pricey but due to the length of the trip and the ferry situation we are a little nervous going with a private tour...we will be in Skagway from 6a - 5p. Have any of you done this privately with that time frame?

You can do this on your own by taking the ferry to Haines. If you google Haines you will find private tour options that include the Eagle Preserve. We did this on our own several years ago.

Wow Cruise Critics thanks to all of you for your experiences and insights!

I think that Prophotogirl may have hit-on the reason for our change in ports. A quick look at CruiseTT.com indicates that Skagway is expecting the Statendam, the Royal Princess and the Sapphire Princess for a total Port Impact of 4,554 cruise ship passengers expected to disembark, Yikes! Perhaps she is correct that the Sea Princess was one ship too many.

Haines is starting to sound pretty good to us particularly since the day before, the Sea Princess will in Juno with 10,264 of our cruise friends from the Oosterdam, the Statendam, the Diamond Princess and the Sapphire Princess

Thanks to all of your great comments and ideas for Haines things to do. Now we are looking forward to a laid back day or a hike at our own pace. ;)

Thanks for posting about this (and to nhcruiser for posting the link to cruisett.com). I just went on and checked and saw that my sailing on Sea Princess, departing July 31st is also now going to Haines and not Skagway. Although, the itinerary on the Princess website hasn't changed!

Haines is great! Not as tourist-ie as Skagway.

The ferry to/from Skagway is wonderful: a memorable experience itself.

If doing the ferry independently be sure to verify the schedule' date=' as there are only a few each day.

Also consider the tours that originate in Haines. Many of these are wonderful.

Go and enjoy! I would volunteer for Haines any day![/quote']

Yep, we're on the Diamond and are hot footing it out of town as fast as possible from Skagway, bound for quiet little Haines. We booked our own fast ferry and are meeting up for the Float trip. Thought it was a great plan to get away from the crowds. Then I saw that we will have company that day---The Sea Princess. Hmpppf.

You have to understand that the Diamond has more people than our entire town here at home. It is still odd to go camping and have to deal with the "crowds"

Dani, I see that you are from the Bay Area. We are arriving on Thursday evening before our departure on August 20th. Any insider tips on what sights in the Marina district that we can take in before embarkation?:rolleyes:

NHsnowpup, what small town in New Hampshire are you from? We lived in Southern New Hampshire for thirty years before being re-located to the Dallas area five years ago.

Actually, we have been to Skagway several years ago on a cruise so we are looking forward to Haines. We love to explore new places!

We were considering the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari as a nice compromise of scenic sightseeing and a good level of activity. Anyone ever been on this adventure?

BTW, I spoke to Princess last evening and they are still holding to Skagway being the cruise port on the August 20th run.

Dani, I see that you are from the Bay Area. We are arriving on Thursday evening before our departure on August 20th. Any insider tips on what sights in the Marina district that we can take in before embarkation?:rolleyes:

The Marina is pretty much full of 20 and 30-somethings, young in their career and flush with money from their well paying jobs, and looking to flaunt that money. You'll quickly notice there's a Marina "type" for both males and females. They're definitely not your stereotypical "hippie liberal" San Francisco types. These are the kids that came out of their top tier colleges and are now working at investment banks and marketing firms. But... along with the young, "hip" element, you'll find a lot of great shopping and restaurants in the area. And lots of trendy spas and bars. If you're into the nightlife scene, this is the place to be. :)

As for more "historical" and/or educational sites, I'd suggest checking out the Palace of Fine Arts and the Exploratorium (especially if you have kids with you -- but I enjoyed going there a few years ago, even though I don't have kids yet). Fort Mason has a variety of museums and stuff, and frequently has plays and dance performances and other cultural events (check out their website to see what they have going on when you'll be there). The Marina Green is a nice area to stroll around, especially if the weather is good, and you can get some great views of the Bay and Alcatraz there. For shopping, check out Chestnut street... or head up a few more blocks to Union Street (which has a lot of great little boutique-y shops, including my favorite antique jewelry store, Dianne's, where DH bought my engagement ring).

And if you want to check out something that's totally Marina... go to the "Singles Safeway". There's a Safeway Supermarket in the Marina district, near Fort Mason, that is basically a "meat market" for the young, single Marina inhabitants to "shop" for a partner. It can make for some fun people watching sometimes. ;)

You're also not too far from some other interesting areas like the famous Lombard Street, Japantown, Ghirardelli Square (good for chocolate lovers), Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 (which are actually awfully touristy, so I wouldn't spend too much time there if you go).

Archived