Lifeboats

spencercoop

I remember reading a post or a thread on here about how many crew members on the ships could operate the lifeboats. Does anyone remember what the number was. We are watching a show about ships and my dad was interested in knowing the number.

I hope the show isnt titanic?? lol.

sorry, I dont have a clue. Just kidding with ya.

I would hope there are several that know how for each lifeboat, at the very least.

No. It is about the Oceanos sinking in 1991.

I watched that Dateline 3 hours ago! I'm out East, and now on our 10 PM news they are talking about a german cruise vessel caught fire today and was evacuated, mmy wife now questions my passion for cruising :mad:

I watched that Dateline 3 hours ago! I'm out East, and now on our 10 PM news they are talking about a german cruise vessel caught fire today and was evacuated, mmy wife now questions my passion for cruising :mad:

I saw that on CruiseCritic News today.

I remember reading a post or a thread on here about how many crew members on the ships could operate the lifeboats. Does anyone remember what the number was. We are watching a show about ships and my dad was interested in knowing the number.

Well, from the immediate past NONE...... There was a passenger overboard and one would have to think the attempted lowering of the lifeboat and attempted rescue would be one of Carnival best emergency response teams, Carnival could NOT launch a lifeboat successfully to recover the man overboard...

Lucky for him another ship was close at hand and rescued him......

Lowering a lifeboat at sea and at night is not an easy exercise. It is fraught with danger for the crew and others involved. For the size of even the smaller lifeboats these days, a crew of at least five or six seamen is needed. This is a very dangerous procedure and, even though it is done for practice on a regular basis, it is not something that anyone wants to do in real life.

As far as evacuating a ship, I have always told DW to try to get an inflatable raft. Lifeboats look safer, but real life experience shows that rafts are, in fact, much safer in a seaway.

Doc

Wasn't that interesting?

We were glued to that special last night as well. My 9 year old son even commented on what a departure it was from Dateline's usual murder and mayhem story.

I suppose that the question about how many "can" operate the lifeboat might be totally irrelevant considering what happened with the Oceanos ... most of the most experienced crew (the 4 or 5 highest ranking officers) took off in some of the first lifeboats. They were gone long before all the life boats were manned and full....

I really wish that the special had done more to investigate where those officers are right now. I'd bet money that they have jobs as officers on a ship somewhere. Even the captain. Maybe even a cruise ship.

We were glued to that special last night as well. My 9 year old son even commented on what a departure it was from Dateline's usual murder and mayhem story.

I suppose that the question about how many "can" operate the lifeboat might be totally irrelevant considering what happened with the Oceanos ... most of the most experienced crew (the 4 or 5 highest ranking officers) took off in some of the first lifeboats. They were gone long before all the life boats were manned and full....

I really wish that the special had done more to investigate where those officers are right now. I'd bet money that they have jobs as officers on a ship somewhere. Even the captain. Maybe even a cruise ship.

Were they Italian Officers? :eek:

A few years after the sinking of the Oceanos, my wife and I had the unfortunate experience of sailing aboard another Epirotiki ship ... the World Renaissance ... a 21-night Athens to Miami cruise, we refer to as the "cruise from hell."

Our waiter happened to be working aboard the Oceanos the night it sunk and shared the play-by-play of what happened from his experience -- and even if most of everything he said was true, the passengers were VERY lucky to have crew members who cared more about them than the officers clearly did.

While all were safe, he said that he had never had a more heart-breaking experience than watching the ship go down with all of his and his crewmates' possessions onboard.

Archived