Coffee card tipping

teripp

Ok, so I will have a coffee card. But in the morning I only want Fresh Brewed coffee. How and do they get the built in tip if the card is not punched. Would you bring some cash to give the server? (Picking up two cups each morning and bringing to room)

Thanks for the input

Teri

I usually get two cups for DW and myself and I always leave a $1 tip which he puts in a tip jar. I never see anyone else do it though. If I have the same waiter for the entire cruise I will also give him an envelope with some cash in it which he gets to keep.

Don't they add the 15% gratuity when you purchase the coffee card like they do with the soda card? I understand if you want to tip if you are using the coffee card you purchased on a previous sailing. Now the question is how much to tip? The regular coffee only costs a $1 or a $1.50 for a large. If you are going to tip a $1 each time you may as well skip the coffee card and pay for the coffee and the tip will be added. When I purchase a soda or ultimate drink card I usually will tip the waiter that continues serving me if I am at the same spot for an extended period of time.

Ok, so I will have a coffee card. But in the morning I only want Fresh Brewed coffee. How and do they get the built in tip if the card is not punched. Would you bring some cash to give the server? (Picking up two cups each morning and bringing to room)

Thanks for the input

Teri

The punches are irrelevant, the gratuity is collected and distributed on purchase. Tipping is purely optional and unecessary unless you are so inclined. If you find a very helpful barista filling out a "You Made My Day" comment card would be good.

Don't they add the 15% gratuity when you purchase the coffee card like they do with the soda card? I understand if you want to tip if you are using the coffee card you purchased on a previous sailing. Now the question is how much to tip? The regular coffee only costs a $1 or a $1.50 for a large. If you are going to tip a $1 each time you may as well skip the coffee card and pay for the coffee and the tip will be added. When I purchase a soda or ultimate drink card I usually will tip the waiter that continues serving me if I am at the same spot for an extended period of time.

The 15% gratuity for a $24 coffee card is only about $3+ change. I get at leasst two large cups each morning and don't think that leaving a $1 tip is a big deal and, as I said, if the same waiter is on deck each morning during the cruise I give him an envelope with at least $10.

Yes, I could just buy the coffee for $1. But, after the second day he sees me coming from the elevator and has my two cups ready with a smile and a Good Morning Mr.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I feel good about it and I think they do to.

The 15% gratuity for a $24 coffee card is only about $3+ change. I get at leasst two large cups each morning and don't think that leaving a $1 tip is a big deal and, as I said, if the same waiter is on deck each morning during the cruise I give him an envelope with at least $10.

Yes, I could just buy the coffee for $1. But, after the second day he sees me coming from the elevator and has my two cups ready with a smile and a Good Morning Mr.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That sounds like exceptional service worth compensating. I agree too that a "You Made My Day" comment card is a great idea. Those cards can make the difference when re-employment contracts come up for the individual, as we've been told by one of the Princess Hotel Managers.

I usually get two cups for DW and myself and I always leave a $1 tip which he puts in a tip jar. I never see anyone else do it though. If I have the same waiter for the entire cruise I will also give him an envelope with some cash in it which he gets to keep.

What?!?! Tip jar on Princess? :eek: Never seen that before and would be very shocked if I did. Not okay with me, especially if that is was the daily automatic tips are covering. This is not the local Starbucks, it's Princess and I am on va-cay.

What?!?! Tip jar on Princess? :eek: Never seen that before and would be very shocked if I did. Not okay with me, especially if that is was the daily automatic tips are covering. This is not the local Starbucks, it's Princess and I am on va-cay.

Well, when you get your coffee don't tip. Your prerogative. Solves that problem. I will continue as stated in my post. These waiters are probably tipped through the whopping big $3.60 that is placed on the coffee card price for gratuity. One card could account for hundreds even thousands of cups of coffee since they never expire.

On our cruise, We saw one coffee guy there at 7Am.

We would see him at 5 PM.

Later at 10 Pm.

THE SAME GUY!!:confused:

We also were the only ones seen tipping the coffee guy all cruise.

So you give him a few $$,no big deal.:D

Didn't know you could just give him an envelope at the end though.

I try not to carry cash on the ship, but at the end of the cruise I had an envelope for the crew at the International Cafe. They always remembered my order and sometimes forgot to punch my card!:)

On our last cruise on Crown the same person waited on me early every morning. By the third day she was making my coffee as I walked up to her. I gave her an envelope with $10 on the last morning.

My husband always generously tips the coffee guy at the end of each cruise (sometimes, even at the beginning).. we can go through a coffee card easily on a cruise (Latte. cappicino, etc) and very often he is remembered on the next cruise. It is not uncommon to have the card go unpunched when receiving our morning Lattes! In the long run, it has been to our benefit both in service and dollars.

If I get this kind of service, I would be happy to leave a $1 tip each morning.

I'm buying a coffee card for the first time on my upcoming cruise- hope I get the same kind of experience!~:)

Get the coffee card. It is sooo worth it. My dh and I have shared one on our last cruise. With the free regular coffees I was happy as a clam. Defininitely worth a few extra dollar tips.

Was the tip jar on the counter for passengers to put the tip in or was it behind the counter out of sight. I can't believe that Princess would allow it to be sitting out on the counter. That's tacky even at Dunkin Donuts. If it is just a system they have to hold the money so it can be split up at the end I don't have a problem with that as long as it is out of sight. I hope they share it with the waiter who serves the food at the other counter. I am sure he doesn't get tipped much. His tip probably comes out of the $10.50 hotel charge.

Was the tip jar on the counter for passengers to put the tip in or was it behind the counter out of sight. I can't believe that Princess would allow it to be sitting out on the counter. That's tacky even at Dunkin Donuts. If it is just a system they have to hold the money so it can be split up at the end I don't have a problem with that as long as it is out of sight. I hope they share it with the waiter who serves the food at the other counter. I am sure he doesn't get tipped much. His tip probably comes out of the $10.50 hotel charge.

It was not on the counter. It ws a paper cup sitting alongside one of the coffee warming units. I didn't know it was there until I saw the waiter take my bill and drop it into the cup.

Just curious...where do you all like to get your coffee in the early morning?

I don't mind drinking the coffee from the buffet so I will order room service or just wait until I go up for breakfast. I don't drink specialty coffee and my wife doesn't drink coffee at all so the coffee card is not worth it for me.

It was not on the counter. It ws a paper cup sitting alongside one of the coffee warming units. I didn't know it was there until I saw the waiter take my bill and drop it into the cup.

When I read your post all I could envision was an empty deli salad container with the word Tips written on it.

Hi - I am not experienced in this - where do you find the good coffee in the morning. Thanks

Depends on the ship:

International Cafe bar on deck 5

Patisserie/Lobby Bar on deck 5 on ships without an International Cafe

Club Bar on deck 5 on the Royal, Ocean, and Pacific

Archived